Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

F1 2019 - Round 9 Austria

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

The A1 ring is a great track for racing and overtaking. There was always action at turn 3 going back through the years. Hope it stays on the calendar. I suppose that will all depend on Red Bull financing it long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The honda partnership is now proving to be a masterstroke for Red bull.
    McLaren really didn't treat honda right. Bouillier rubbishing honda publically when his own organisation was in bits.
    That man Bouillier was an A grade spuffer.
    Not a fan of Zak either but if he can do the commercial stuff well and keep out of everything else, it might be ok. McLaren certainly have made a leap forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Infoanon

recyclebin wrote: »
    The A1 ring is a great track for racing and overtaking. .
    Having been to the circuit I would disagree - without DR'S there would be no overtaking imho

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭seamusk84

You really have to hand it to Honda here. I mean two years ago they were nowhere and in danger of scrapping the whole F1’s plan.
    To go from that to yesterday, amazing. Great for the sport.

Also how can we have more races like yesterday as oppose to France last week? This question needs real study from the FIA.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Infoanon wrote: »
    Having been to the circuit I would disagree - without DR'S there would be no overtaking imho

Yeah but that is fine, it’s the point if DRS. The DRS zones work really well at the Ring. The overtakes still require s bit of skill in Austria even with DRS. That’s what we need, not just breezing by with the back wing open like other circuits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

seamusk84 wrote: »
    Yeah but that is fine, it’s the point if DRS. The DRS zones work really well at the Ring. The overtakes still require s bit of skill in Austria even with DRS. That’s what we need, not just breezing by with the back wing open like other circuits.

Verstappen breezed by on some of those overtakes yesterday. Not just that but managed to make over a second of a gap before DRS was closed which meant the overtaken driver didn't get a chance to come back at him. It looked too easy yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭flazio

recyclebin wrote: »
    The A1 ring is a great track for racing and overtaking. There was always action at turn 3 going back through the years. Hope it stays on the calendar. I suppose that will all depend on Red Bull financing it long term.

A1 was another company that had sponsored naming rights for the circuit before Red Bull. It's original non sponsored name is the Österreichring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭d8491prj5boyvg

tigerboon wrote: »
    Verstappen breezed by on some of those overtakes yesterday. Not just that but managed to make over a second of a gap before DRS was closed which meant the overtaken driver didn't get a chance to come back at him. It looked too easy yesterday.

Completely, it looked far too easy yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

not sure how you could repicate a race like that. too many little things added up to make it what it was

vettle down the field after minor mechanical issue during qualifying, that left charles near the front and no vettle in th epicture and charles ddint have to let vattel past

hamilton getting a grid penalty and damaging his wing

verstaphen stalling off the line put him out of position

it all happend because cars were out of their normal positions, not sure how to replicate that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭d8491prj5boyvg

not sure how you could repicate a race like that. too many little things added up to make it what it was

vettle down the field after minor mechanical issue during qualifying, that left charles near the front and no vettle in th epicture and charles ddint have to let vattel past

hamilton getting a grid penalty and damaging his wing

verstaphen stalling off the line put him out of position

it all happend because cars were out of their normal positions, not sure how to replicate that

Make it more difficult for teams to predict the outcome. Increase the number of strategy permutations (e.g. hidden tyre compounds, no mandatory pitstops/compound changes). Introduce unreliability (e.g. easily done by more delicate front wings or something like that) and penalties for driver error- the kerbs emulated some of the drama from this in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Nic_Col

I wonder would the FIA/stewards have made a different decision had they not (rightly) received so much heat for decisions made recently?

Right decision, but it's starting to look like they're just making it up as they go along.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

It's a great achievement by Honda, and they've come a long, long way. However, the result was not something I'd expect to see repeated again soon. Mercedes engines were baking and had to be turned down, Ferrari as a result seemed stronger, and Max had significantly fresher tires AND was on an opposite strategy to the leaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Naykid

Faugheen wrote: »
    Hulk beat Ricciardo today and has beaten him on more than one occasion.

Nope, Riccardo passed Hulk on the last lap. Cameras or commentators didn't pick it up (on the highlights show anyway)

was there a drive through for someone. i mised that on c4 . what hapened

was there a drive through for someone. i mised that on c4 . what hapened

Kevin Magnussen over shot his grid slot and got a penalty for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

flazio wrote: »
    Kevin Magnussen over shot his grid slot and got a penalty for it.

George Russell finished ahead of Magnussen in the race as well

George Russell finished ahead of Magnussen in the race as well

how did that happen.
    i saw that. a williams not last and second last.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Joeface

hopefully the link works but Sainz had a great race , all pretty much ontrack over takes

https://streamable.com/ptpmv

I love this thing as well
    https://gfycat.com/neglecteddecentcaracal

how did that happen.
    i saw that. a williams not last and second last.

The drive thru penalty for Magnussen was a partial reason for it no doubt, at the flag i think there was in or around 2.0 seconds between them, it doesn't matter if it was 2.0 or 0.2, a Williams beat a Haas to the flag, which is embarrassing for Haas. Kubica was lapped by Russell despite young George starting in the pit lane. Impossible to call Kubica slow, we don't know what is going on there, it can't be down to his arm injuries, he proved in Monaco it doesn't impact him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Verstappen was lucky he was at a 'home' race.... If the Stewarts follow their onw rules they should have penalised Max for 1.Squeezing off the road (Did NOT leave even half a cars width) and 2. Hit Lelerc on exit to send him wide = PENALTY.

2. Look at the head on replay the Ferrari bounces off the ground when they bang wheels.

They FIA totally chickened out in making the correct call ( by their own rules, he gets a penalty) But because Max drives for Red Bull ( >owns the Team & Track) huge amount of Dutch fans at track = 'Home' race, Hondas first win since 06? they took the soft option.

Result was much needed and right for F1, but wrong call made by their own rules.

Usual FIA Stewarts applying the rules inconsistently. Follow their rules> Max gets penalty, loses Win. If they are going allow squeezing/running off the road then publicily state it and let them race this way.

Also Bottas is becoming a total lightweight and a soft touch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,409 ✭✭✭Harika

https://mobile.twitter.com/steview282/status/1145389513558114305/photo/1

Kubica won driver of the day, what is still under technical review

Harika wrote: »
    https://mobile.twitter.com/steview282/status/1145389513558114305/photo/1

Kubica won driver of the day, what is still under technical review

i feel really really sorry for him. he cannot be judged in that car no matter what Russell does with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Also Bottas is becoming a total lightweight and a soft touch.

Well, not really - he did the smart thing. Had he fought Verstappen for longer, he'd only have kept him behind 1-2 laps at best, the pace/grip differential was too great, and would've lost a lot of time making him vulnerable to Vettel towards the end.

Also, the possibility of Verstappen and Leclerc coming together and handing Bottas the race win was, as we saw, not completely out of the picture - and you can bet Merc/Bottas had a thought about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,266 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

God, I needed a race like that.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

i feel really really sorry for him. he cannot be judged in that car no matter what Russell does with it.

This is nonsense. Why can’t he be judged when his rookie team-mate is making mince meat of him?

I have no doubt this would be the same if the pair of them were driving Williams’ or Mercs.

Faugheen wrote: »
    This is nonsense. Why can’t he be judged when his rookie team-mate is making mince meat of him?

I have no doubt this would be the same if the pair of them were driving Williams’ or Mercs.

No, what's nonsense is the state of the Williams team and their cars not being upto the job

Russell tested a Merc in Bahrain, would be interesting to see Kubica test one at the same track.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

No, what's nonsense is the state of the Williams team and their cars not being upto the job

Russell tested a Merc in Bahrain, would be interesting to see Kubica test one at the same track.

Kubica is another driver taking up a seat in F1 and should not be there. How in gods name is Ocon not in that seat. Kubica is just another paid driver ruining the sport. Russell is nothing special but destroys Kubica.

TCP/IP wrote: »
    Kubica is another driver taking up a seat in F1 and should not be there. How in gods name is Ocon not in that seat. Kubica is just another paid driver ruining the sport. Russell is nothing special but destroys Kubica.

Mercedes wouldn’t pay what Williams wanted to put Ocon in the seat.

I know you might think any F1 seat is better than no seat at all but I reckon Ocon dodged a bullet by staying away from Williams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,614 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

TCP/IP wrote: »

Kubica was a great driver but I think it's safe to say he's clearly not the same as he was. And the facts are that he brings significant budget to the team so we can surmise that he's a pay driver. However, it's unfair to say that he's ruining the sport. If Williams didn't have that money would they survive ?

As for your opinion that Russell is nothing special, personally I disagree, he's got massive potential. He's hammering his teammate and his career is on an upward trajectory. British F4 champ, GP3 champ, F2 champ
    Mercedes wouldn’t pay what Williams wanted to put Ocon in the seat.

Williams wanted a long term commitment which they got from Russell who signed a multi year agreement, Ocon was an option for the team but he only wanted a seat for a year. He believes his future is in a silver arrow

Advertisement