Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DJI Mavic Pro

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭ozmo

If you are new to drones - for the first tries -
    Do the simulator for a bit - then take it somewhere with No trees - football pitch is perfect. Small enclosed areas like indoors and backgardens are tricker to fly in.

Read the manual (this is very important) Especially know how RTH works (ie. Set good RTH height and Never take off with no satellites, understand when it comes back and when it doesnt and just lands instead).

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

I didnt read manual at all, dont even have one. Guess its a download pdf.

Never flown a drone before. I flew in house in tripod mode and its a piece of piss. Been outside and screaming about in sports mode all the time. If you have ever used an RC car as a child its no different, in fact its a million times easier. All manner of morons on facebook saying to buy a cheap drone, but theyre full of ****e. A cheap drone will be much harder to fly. Straight in and so long as you have a little space around you then easy.

I didnt read manual at all...Been outside and screaming about in sports mode all the time. If you have ever used an RC car as a child its no different, in fact its a million times easier. All manner of morons on facebook saying to buy a cheap drone, but theyre full of ****e. .

I agree its very easy to make it go - much easier than cheap drones - the problem is when it goes wrong.

Noone wants to be one of the ones posting about FlyAways (which are 99% pilot error).

eg. Some tips you will get from reading the manual
    * Sports mode is a lot slower to stop - and all the obstacle avoidance turn off so might surprise someone.
    * When you use RTH and the drone is near - it wont come back it will land - this could leave you wondering why your drone landed 20m from you in the lake.
    * During RTH - it flies slow, so if it is windy it might not make it back in time- soln: you can throttle up.

The manual is not complete though - you will need go elsewhere to reading up on blurry videos , Jello, flicker...

Also - do please at least read the IAA guidelines/rules - just to be at least aware of what we are not supposed to do, so drones are not completely banned for the rest of us.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Lemon3

Just received confirmation that my order has shipped by DHL. They had no spare batteries in stock but i can survive for a few weeks. Online stock shows 39 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭funkyuser

edit: update - just got the fulfillment email with DHL tracking info today - estimated delivery date is Tuesday 28/02/2017

Be careful ordering extra stuff from the DJI store, if you want the fly more package delivered as quickly as others in this thread then make sure its the only item in your order.

I'm guessing ..but I reckon thats why my order appears to be delayed so far..

my order status page on dji.com
    http://imgur.com/7vA5b0Y

Its almost 48 hrs after I placed the order on dji.com, no tracking number, no contact from DHL, no response to my enquiries via email.

Sure enough the battery product page says 7 to 10 days for the battery:
    Estimated to ship 7-10 business days after payment confirmation.

I might try teh webchat to cancel the order and reorder without extra battery ..or I might just wait

The FAQ does warn about ordering back ordered items although I'm not sure if the batteries are on backorder or what that even means here:

12. What happens if my item is on backorder?
    In the event that an item is out of stock or for any other reason is unable to be shipped, we will notify you in time. We will keep the order open unless told to cancel it. When the item is in stock, we will ship it out immediately.
    Due to high international shipping costs and taxes and duty fees, we cannot ship any international order that includes backordered items. We will hold the order until all items are in stock and available to ship. Please contact us if you wish to cancel or change these items.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

My order was the fly more combo, still showing as 1-3 days on there site, technically as mine was ordered on Friday it did take 5 days, the Update from DHL saying they had picked it up was on Mon night/ Tue morning

Also how I currently feel

1k6nv9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

Shane_ef wrote: »
    My order was the fly more combo, still showing as 1-3 days on there site, technically as mine was ordered on Friday it did take 5 days, the Update from DHL saying they had picked it up was on Mon night/ Tue morning

Also how I currently feel

1k6nv9.jpg

Yeah it's been sitting on the desk since yesterday afternoon and it looks like it's staying there until tomorrow afternoon.

Just thought Id document some of my findings from my experience so far the the Mavic Pro...

1. You can catch by hand if you catch near the front - just dont block the ultrasonic sensors or it will try to fly away from your hand. The ground clearance is very low so I always hand catch to stop the lens getting wet etc. Ive recently bought leg extensions.

2. My main problem with the Mavic is the fuzzy focus if you forget to tap to click - The latest firmware features an automatic focus. In the latest DJI Go 4 app you can disable this autofocus (as some didnt like the visual effect as it hunts for focus each time the drone stops - so its back to tap to focus)
    Note: Autofocus only works in "DJI Go 4" App- not "DJI Go" App where you have to tap to click.

3. Turning off the ultrasonic sensors makes the mavic act very unsteady at low altitudes. You are supposed to disable it when flying over water...

4. An IMU Recalibration seems to cure most problems - even when issue seems unrelated - like image quality.
    Tip: watch the images carefully as you do the procedure - its not so obvious you need to keep flipping the drone during the procedure.
    Tip: Do it in a cold environment so that the drone only has to reach that cold temperature before each take off - otherwise you have long "Warming Up" each power on.

5. No where in the DJI docs does it say you need to calibrate at each flight - but this myth persists and it only takes one wrong compass calibration to cause problems. This tip is very controversial - so up to you but I personally don't calibrate compass unless the readout is saying it needs it.

6. Don't fly near large metal things - like metal roofs and pylons - I experienced a loss of gps once.

7. Original docs say you can fly with the plastic bubble attached - but I think they changed this as it blocks the fan when you have it on. Also the video quality is poor with it on.

8. Filters are ok - they cure most video quality issues - but some of the cheaper ones don't fit correctly (I got mine for about 7 Euros - and I had to file the edges slightly) they work to give a cinema look - Personally I do prefer the sharp high frame rate footage but when its too bright the filters look good though.

9. The camera can pop out of its mounting and you get shaky images - you can easily pop it back in.

10. All the items from the FlyMore pack can actually fit into the tiny bag if you pack carefully... But I usually leave the chargers and spare props at home.

11. The joystick pegs can come off - but its not recommended as there is not much support behind them when pushing them back on.

12. There are little holes in the controller arms that take bigger tablets - gripping them by the corners.

13. You have to remove all cables, even if not used from the top usb port before you can use the bottom usb port for data phone.

14. Using with Android I measured a very high 0.5 Amps going from the remote to the phone - this runs down the remote in about 1 hour, sometime less - using the Apple IOS this doesn't happen and you get longer before having to recharge the remote.
    There is currently no way of turning off the very loud Beeps when you get to 20% remote battery left - without disassembling the remote - that might be my next project...

15. Attach a ribbon or string to the gimbol lock so you know when its in place and dont try to fly with it in place. Don't loose this as they are hard to get replacements for - I don't know how important they are when transporting but the camera looks very vulnerable without it.

16. As well as the memory card in the Mavic - There is a hidden second one glued in that tracks all your flights - so if you ever sell it and are protective of your privacy - you may want to look into how to erase it.

Cool software Ive tried:
    Litchi - I use it for 360 panorama - you can also use the Google Cardboard for FPV - but Its a little more buggy than the DJI software and not cheap. I dont use it often.

UAV Forecast - tells you if conditions are good

Healthy Drones - this gives you more stats on your flights - shows any errors. Most things are free - but you pay for it to tell you the actuall windspeed etc.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Denisoftus

Received mine yesterday, but look like the weather won't allow to fly for a week or so, well at least I can get all the firmware updated and batteries charged many times over :)

got the fulfillment mail with DHL shipping info - estimated delivery date is Tuesday 28/02/2017

So that'll be about 5 working days or a calendar week for delivery, adding the extra battery to the order didn't add much of a delay

• Advertisement

funkyuser wrote: »
    got the fulfillment mail with DHL shipping info - estimated delivery date is Tuesday 28/02/2017

So that'll be about 5 working days or a calendar week for delivery, adding the extra battery to the order didn't add much of a delay

Less than 5 working days for me, shipping label created on Friday and it was with me on Wednesday.

Has anyone here with the Fly More been able to fit everything into the bag? I have it all except the battery hub and wall plug in it. The bag just doesn't seem to be made to accommodate the monstrous Irish/UK plug!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Lemon3

Received mine today from CVP, ordered 2 days ago. Too windy to fly.

Got mine today, 4 working days for delivery.

The drone came out of the box with only two props installed, the missing props were not found so I used the spares from the fly more box. I opened a support ticket.

First impressions, I wish there was a quick and easy way of enabling full atti mode.

I want to cache maps on android, not sure if this can be done easily.

Also my tablet drains the mavic controller quickly. Perhaps I can get a data only USB cable ..would that work?

The drone came out of the box with only two props installed, the missing props were not found so I used the spares from the fly more box. I opened a support ticket.

First impressions, I wish there was a quick and easy way of enabling full atti mode.

Also my tablet drains the mavic controller quickly. Perhaps I can get a data only USB cable ..would that work?

The spare props were under a piece of foam under the Mavic for me.

I don't think the controller charges the phone/tablet? I may be wrong on that though.

Props are in black bags under the drone.
    And yeah the android drain is an issue for me too- there is an app for some jainbroken androids to stop it from charging but didnt work for me. No cable available will help - but im going to mod my own cable and let you know.
    No issue with IPhone.

Curious- Why would you need atti mode?

“Roll it back”

i found the props, closed the ticket.

DJI GO 4 seems to cache maps for offline use, not sure how reliable that will be, I may have to load maps at each location, temporarily using my phones data and wifi.
    ozmo wrote: »
    Curious- Why would you need atti mode?

This seems to be disccused thoroughly here:
    https://forum.dji.com/thread-67813-1-1.html

I'd like to be able to select atti mode when its clear the drone is having trouble holding position due to GPS or other sensor failure. I'd like to be able to practice in atti mode, maybe I'm missing something ..i'm not sure I'm fully informed yet ..i just skimmed that thread :)

I'd like to be able to practice in atti mode, maybe I'm missing something ..i'm not sure I'm fully informed yet ..i just skimmed that thread :)

Its not possible to disable via the remote on the Mavic. I think you need to demonstrate flying in ATTI mode for the Irish licence test - so for that it would be useful to be able do it..

I've flown other dji drones in Atti mode for a few minutes and its not fun or something Id do regularly though - you are constantly adjusting for the slightest wind.

Maybe its like this so operators cannot bypass the FCC/CE region checks, warranty tracking logs and the No Fly zones - which rely on GPS to be working?

“Roll it back”

So how is everyone finding there Mavic Pro, any good Pictures or videos? Any good additions?

Here''s what I have so far, extension legs, altered controller cover and SD card holder
    11-20-sm76z-k9vtn.jpg

Have many here, registered there Mavic with the IAA?

• Advertisement

I haven't yet, but I might soon for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Shane_ef wrote: »
    Have many here, registered there Mavic with the IAA?

What are the implications of registering ?

The need to Register Drones is under examination in USA - FAA are in court over it - wonder if any of the reasons might be applicable to Irelands registration also.

Judge Tells FAA Rep: “You’re Just Making Stuff Up.”
    http://dronelife.com/2017/03/20/taylor-vs-huerta-faa-comes-off-badly-oral-arguments/

“Roll it back”

The need to Register Drones is under examination in USA - FAA are in court over it - wonder if any of the reasons might be applicable to Irelands registration also.

Judge Tells FAA Rep: “You’re Just Making Stuff Up.”
    http://dronelife.com/2017/03/20/taylor-vs-huerta-faa-comes-off-badly-oral-arguments/

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭eladnova

Hi all

Can anyone tell me what Class C airpsace in Ireland means?

Can you fly a drone within Class C within certain restrictions
    - max height 120M
    - line of sight
    - not further than 300M

OR are these "locked down" areas that require SOP from the IAA?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Haven't really been on this forum much since before Christmas, delighted to see this thread has over 4k views tho! :)

And nice to see plenty of Mavic pilots/operators around the place too!

Keep it up dudes!

Wondering how many of you traveled abroad with Mavic, so many airlines and so many rules, also lack of rules on some.

So far, I came into a conclusion that the best approach is, if not clearly stated on airline policy, to take your mavic checked and bring your 50% discharged batteries in hand luggage. Have any of you traveled yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Just got myself one, cant wait to give it a go this weekend!!
    Anyone go for the Care Refresh from dji or any kind of insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Griangra

Hi Denisoftus,

I flew to Italy a couple of weeks ago with my mavic.
    I brought it with me on board and so it went through security without problems: I didn't have to take it out or anything.
    As you mentioned, I discharged the battery to about 50% .
    From reading around there should be no problem in flying with the Mavic .
    Happy flying :D:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

whats with the battery discharging ?

Advertisement