Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

grahambo wrote: »
    That works out at about €83,333 per person to get rid of them
    If said person has a decent job and is under 60 years of age this is a good deal.

She just doesn't let up.
    RTE Management need to sit down with the Government and all other relevant stake holders and explain the following:

1) Internet TV is killing us. RTE will never be able to compete, with the like of Amazon, Disney, Netflix etc
    2) RTE should only be for news, national/international sport, Irish culture, etc. This means goodbye to 2FM, Non-Irish Soaps, Non-Irish comedy shows, etc, etc
    3) RTE should be doing WAY more to support sport in Ireland. They should have coverage of all the League of Ireland games (They should push L.O.I to conform with the calendar for the rest of a leagues in EU). They should be showing more GAA. More atheltics. They should have a van down at mondello park every weekend in the summer, there is always racing going on there. Rallying, Road racing always provide a good watch etc. These are things that the likes of Netflix and Amazon cannot compete against RTE with yet they will avoid taking on the likes of SKY.

In other words, RTE need to find their gap in the market and work a profit out of it. because asking the Tax payer to foot the bill for nothing is not acceptable.

2FM should be closed down on the grounds of banality,never mind it losing millions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭aroundthehouse

They say you need a TV licence for holiday homes, mobile homes etc now, does that mean the tv licence inspector is going to go into a halting site and hand out fines?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

They say you need a TV licence for holiday homes, mobile homes etc now, does that mean the tv licence inspector is going to go into a halting site and hand out fines?

Not unless they have the navy seals at there disposal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭aroundthehouse

Not unless they have the navy seals at there disposal.

One rule for one group of people and another for the rest of us....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Oh I'd love to see that! Assuming the licence inspectors were tooled up.

• Advertisement

One rule for one group of people and another for the rest of us....

T'was ever thus.....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Nicky Byrne on 200,000 a year. Grinds my gears. Hes got such a punchable face too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

gctest50 wrote: »
    three.ie etc block adult content unless you provide proof of age

It'd be easy to block RTE, RTE player etc unless you want to register with rte to be billed ~ €160 per year

BulldozeMontrose

Almost like how Netflix run their business :)

RTE, on the other hand, would never, ever, under any circumstances go along with something like that as it would kill them over night because no one in their right mind would pay €160 for the service RTE provide if they had a choice to opt out.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Nicky Byrne on 200,000 a year. Grinds my gears. Hes got such a punchable face too.

Are you serious? christ almighty, what ass clown thought giving that clown 200k a year was a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Must go off to the three.ie forum and ask can they block rte.ie and all subdomains of the banal sh!te

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Ineedaname

Are you serious? christ almighty, what ass clown thought giving that clown 200k a year was a good idea.

Had the misfortune to meet him in person a while back. He's as much a twat in real life as he is on the radio.

It's not even the salaries that bother me. It's their sense of entitlement to them. Like if I don't pay my license I'm basically robbing them.

Ineedaname wrote: »
    Had the misfortune to meet him in person a while back. He's as much a twat in real life as he is on the radio.

It's not even the salaries that bother me. It's their sense of entitlement to them. Like if I don't pay my license I'm basically robbing them.

I'm not sure I could hate Nicky Byrne more - I could try but it would be futile I fear!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I was wondering how 2FM can lose millions and other stations make a profit.
    They also seem to have two presenters at times.. double the gibberish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Doesn't even take the co-presenter he needs to hold his hand and do everything for him into account, nor probably the extra production staff/makeup for his ego.

It's unforgivable, but still not as bad as the Lottie Ryan situation.

14 year old transition year students would have been better than her, and have done the job for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

I do a job, as I'm sure most of us do, that is infinately and tangibly more important than Nicky Byrnes job...and I'm not on €200,000 a year.

That Dee Forbes fcuking d1ckhead can fcuk right off.

Fcuking ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,054 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Chewbacca wrote: »
    I do a job, as I'm sure most of us do, that is infinately and tangibly more important than Nicky Byrnes job...and I'm not on €200,000 a year.

Fcuking ****.

Have to agree there Chewie.

Nobody with normal intelligence can understand this.

It’s a mystery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Doesn't even take the co-presenter he needs to hold his hand and do everything for him into account, nor probably the extra production staff/makeup for his ego.

14 year old transition year students would have been better than her, and have done the job for free.

Ryan has a job for life. She'll fart around the odd TV show and then get her own shat show.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Seriously? F***ing seriously? Jaysus what the hell!

The only way that money makes sense is if he is threatening to do "walk-ons" to every RTE TV and radio show and they need to bribe him to stay in his corner!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Joe Duffy (circa €400K), Tubs (€500K+) and D'Arcy (€500K) to name but 3 are on multiples of Byrne's fees - is he any worse than any of them?

The RTE Presenter Talent Book reads like a "Who's Who of Mediocrity". They'd be out of their depth on Hospital Radio, but are paid more than the Taoiseach for part-time hours with more holidays than a primary school teacher. You couldn't make it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Ineedaname wrote: »

Was at a wedding a couple of years ago where he was a guest, he didn’t bother going to the church service as he was afraid he’d be mobbed! By whom?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,054 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Was at a wedding a couple of years ago where he was a guest, he didn’t bother going to the church service as he was afraid he’d be mobbed! By who?

Hrrrummmph...by whom

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Yep. And any time you see an RTE presenter as a 'guest' at some gala or whatever-where they are asked or answer questions-they get paid €3000 to €6000 just for a one day appearance. You can get a decent secondhand car for that much.
    Ryan has a job for life. She'll fart around the odd TV show and then get her own shat show.

Yes and no-she's on such a low list of 'jobs' that she's probably somewhere behind Mairead Ronan Farrell Nahasapeemapetilan's hairdresser in terms of getting a job. Case in point, Mairead won't be presenting Ireland's Fittest Family this year (yeah, who cares. Amirite?) so Kathryn Thomas will be doing it instead. Ryan wasn't even considered for the job.

There are a ton of past and present RTE presenters who can't get arrested now. Brian Ormond and Liam McCormack, Geri Maye, Molly Breatnach, John Moynes, to name a few. They all have more of a chance to be called up by RTE to present a show than Lottie.

What most ticks me off with Nicky Byrne is that his co-presenter, Jenny Greene, worked her way up to, deservedly, get his job. Instead, she's treated as a 'sideline' gig. And that is so insulting to any outsider looking on.

Joe Duffy (circa €400K), Tubs (€500K+) and D'Arcy (€500K) to name but 3 are on multiples of Byrne's fees - is he any worse than any of them?

Those three fools shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence as him nevermind being payed more than him, tubby ruined the late late show, Darcy is an over payed douche and don't get me started on that live line clown!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Those three fools shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence as him nevermind being payed more than him, tubby ruined the late late show, Darcy is an over payed douche and don't get me started on that live line clown!

The Late Late is just a grave now...it's more dated than when it started in the 60s. That's just clownish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

What most ticks me off with Nicky Byrne is that his co-presenter, Jenny Greene, worked her way up to, deservedly, get his job. Instead, she's treated as a 'sideline' gig. And that is so insulting to any outsider looking on.

The only show I make sure to listen to is Jenny Greene's Electric Disco on Saturday evening.
    No idle chit chat waffling with callers or promoting prizes. Just 2 hrs of quality listening.
    That said she's probably on a nice little earner as well. Didn't make the top 10 but I'd say 150k at a guess. Her DJ show also gets the orchestra up off their backsides too touring with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I think you’d like Da Lahv Lahn Thread caller....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

its a veritas patch for the soul

Chewbacca wrote: »

Fcuking ****.

This really made me laugh lol, thanks, thanks for saying what i'm feeling:D

Hello good afternoon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

I should be noted that it would cost nothing to fire these people, no pension, no severance pay, etc

They all have their own companies which they are directors of. They then sell their services into RTE. They are not directly employed by RTE.
    They're not even PAYE workers so they probably pay **** all tax too.

Advertisement