Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How to get Channel 5 and BBC One HD on your Irish EPG and Recordable!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

energy1942 wrote: »
    One of my boxes updated two weeks ago, in the last few minutes I have done the blue button card trick & it is working as normal.

When you insert your card are you able to get the UK channels on your epg?

Yep. The uk epg loads as normal. I tick and save the favourites, go into standby swop back to my Irish card. The problems begin when I press the blue button to watch any of the trick channels. It switches to the uk channel but after a few minutes the screen goes blue for a split second and changes to channel 998. This happens continuously so eventually I just watch them via other channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭energy1942

jca wrote: »
    Yep. The uk epg loads as normal. I tick and save the favourites, go into standby swop back to my Irish card. The problems begin when I press the blue button to watch any of the trick channels. It switches to the uk channel but after a few minutes the screen goes blue for a split second and changes to channel 998. This happens continuously so eventually I just watch them via other channels.
    Yes this has been happpening on mine also, however I am still able to use the 'R' button to make recordings on the UK channels eg. itv3. Can you still do this?

Yes this has been happpening on mine also, however I am still able to use the 'R' button to make recordings on the UK channels eg. itv3. Can you still do this?

Yes I can still record on the trick channels by both pressing the R button and using the search feature.

The box locked up completely this morning while on TV3 had to unplug it. I did a planner rebuild while using irish card, redid the trick with my utv card, got 998 once but it seems to have settled down now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 LMaher

My sky box keeps going back to channel 998 I have a granada card when I press the red button to record it tells me it can't had channel to planner. Is it only working with a UTV card? I have tried everywhere to get one with out any luck.

• Advertisement

LMaher wrote: »
    My sky box keeps going back to channel 998 I have a granada card when I press the red button to record it tells me it can't had channel to planner. Is it only working with a UTV card? I have tried everywhere to get one with out any luck.

I have 2 cards, an itv London and a utv card. Recording is working but live pause rewind has stopped working it keeps switching to 998. On both cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I switched the telly on earlier this evening only to discover that the ITV channels etc had gone. Re-done the card trick with the UTV card and everything is back working again. Must have been an update last night.

muffler wrote: »
    I switched the telly on earlier this evening only to discover that the ITV channels etc had gone. Re-done the card trick with the UTV card and everything is back working again. Must have been an update last night.

One of the lucky ones!!

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Woodie40

muffler wrote: »

Got the new updated EPG and all the trick channels on the main EPG working perfectly.

It seems to have settled today. Watched columbo on ch5 without any interruptions.

• Advertisement

Pause and rewind gone completely on trick channels its just impossible to watch. Record is hit and miss too,getting "satellite signal interrupted" errors.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

Pause and rewind gone completely on trick channels its just impossible to watch. Record is hit and miss too,getting "satellite signal interrupted" errors.

Still working fine here. Are you trying to record another 'trick' channel at the same time?

Still working fine here. Are you trying to record another 'trick' channel at the same time?
    I was recording UTV and watching it at the same time. I was having limited success using that method. It seems worse in the mornings and improves from late afternoon to being perfect by evening. Scheduled recordings have all been successful.

My other box got updated last night. No joy with trick channels on that one either. The trick channels don't show up in the epg program searches. The only way to record trick channels is to move forward if its available,sometimes it is and more times it just shows now and next.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭energy1942

My other box got updated last night. No joy with trick channels on that one either. The trick channels don't show up in the epg program searches. The only way to record trick channels is to move forward if its available,sometimes it is and more times it just shows now and next.
    I also had the update on my second box at about 2am this morning, I am still able to record using the blue button trick, however the channels are going to 998 on the epg if you try to watch them live this way and pause and rewind is intermittent, however if you go to an irish subscription channel e.g. Sky one and then go on to the channel you want to watch e.g. ITV 4 you can watch it without interuption in other channels, if you want to pause and rewind you need to press the R button and then you can do so.

It is important to remember that you do not access a channel in other channels while you have that same channel on the blue button.

I also had the update on my second box at about 2am this morning, I am still able to record using the blue button trick, however the channels are going to 998 on the epg if you try to watch them live this way and pause and rewind is intermittent, however if you go to an irish subscription channel e.g. Sky one and then go on to the channel you want to watch e.g. ITV 4 you can watch it without interuption in other channels, if you want to pause and rewind you need to press the R button and then you can do so.

It is important to remember that you do not access a channel in other channels while you have that same channel on the blue button.
    I think I have it cracked:D The method I use is a slight variation on your method. Tune to a non-trick channel. Then using the blue button select the trick channel you want to view i.e ITV HD. Then quickly change to ITV HD in other channels before it reverts to 998. Live pause works perfectly without needing to press the record button.

Initial trials of my latest method have been 100% successful. All are happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭eirman

Could someone save me hours of pouring over the 100+ pages of this thread and give me a summary of the trick.

I'm trying to get ITV etc recordable on my folks ROI-sub HD-box (no HD sub). I have an active Sky Northern Ireland Sub.

I played with the two cards for ages, and no matter what I did, favourites were only stored on my UK card ..... I just can't get them to store on the ROI card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭dogtoffee

eirman wrote: »
    Could someone save me hours of pouring over the 100+ pages of this thread and give me a summary of the trick.

I'm trying to get ITV etc recordable on my folks ROI-sub HD-box (no HD sub). I have an active Sky Northern Ireland Sub.

I played with the two cards for ages, and no matter what I did, favourites were only stored on my UK card ..... I just can't get them to store on the ROI card.

You need to add the channels to other channels then boot box with ni card when epg loads swap cards to Irish sub you should have all channels you added to other channels on your epg

Thanks dogtoffee, I thought it involved favourites. I have already stored the desired channels in other channels on the ROI box.

So is this step by step correct .....
    1) Boot box with NI card
    2) Remove NI card and insert ROI card.

I'm pretty sure I did that already .... and what about ROI 101-105

• Advertisement

Thanks dogtoffee, I thought it involved favourites. I have already stored the desired channels in other channels on the ROI box.

So is this step by step correct .....
    1) Boot box with NI card
    2) Remove NI card and insert ROI card.

I'm pretty sure I did that already .... and what about ROI 101-105
    Once you have the channels stored in favourites power off the box completely i.e. switch off at socket. Remove the ROI card and insert the NI card and boot up and wait for EPG to load. This could take a minute or two. You should now see BBC1 on 101.

Then put the box into standby mode and swap the cards. With the ROI card inserted bring the box out of standby and again wait a minute for the EPG to load again. You should then have the following:
    101 RTE1
    102 RTE2
    103 ITV/UTV
    103 TV3
    104 TG4
    105 Channel 5
    105 3E

As per above you will have 2 x 103's and 2 x 105's. The ITV2, 3 and 4 and their respective + channels are located elsewhere on the EPG

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^

can you do that on the Triax FTA box? it has a card slot

Thanks muffler, I'm still highly perplexed. I have already done a lot powering down/up and swapping of cards with no success.

Please explain this ...
    Once you have the channels stored in favourites power off the box completely. Remove the ROI card .....

How do I store the channels in favourites ??? (i.e. How do I store the UK channels in favourites when the ROI card is inserted)
    Favourites seem to be stored on the card ... not the box.

If someone could give a step by step description, it would much appreciated by me and some other onlookers i'm sure.

Thanks muffler, I'm still highly perplexed. I have already done a lot powering down/up and swapping of cards with no success.

Please explain this ...
    Once you have the channels stored in favourites power off the box completely. Remove the ROI card .....

How do I store the channels in favourites ??? (i.e. How do I store the UK channels in favourites when the ROI card is inserted)
    Favourites seem to be stored on the card ... not the box.

If someone could give a step by step description, it would much appreciated by me and some other onlookers i'm sure.
    You have to manually add the channels you require into "Other Channels" first. See this thread. You can do this with the ROI card in.

When you reboot the box with the UK card go to Services ----> Options ----> Favourites. In there will be a full list of every channel you can receive so you need to scroll through the list and tick the ITV channels and also Ch 5, Five USA etc etc. Dont forget to save the new settings.

After that just put the box into standby and swap the cards as described earlier.

Just be aware that unless its a UTV card the trick will not work as such. It wont display the channels on the EPG but they can be found then on the blue button.

Thanks again muffler,

I did nearly all of that already ... The only variation with your instructions is that I wasn't powering down before replacing the ROI card (I was going to interactive 0n 501). I always got the impression that the favourites were being stored on the UK card (not the box), which was why they always disappeared when the ROI card was reinserted.

I'll try it again on one my regular Sunday visits to my folks when I have nothing set to record with my UK sub.

My next reply (and hopefully a Thanks) won't be for several weeks

This is my procedure I posted on a different thread.

1) Make sure you have all the channels you want stored in other channels.
    2) Tune to 501, Sky news.
    3) Unplug the box and swap to the UK card.
    4) Plug the box back in and wait until the UK epg loads completely.
    5) Go to options, favourites. Scroll down through the epg and tick all the UK channels you want using the yellow button.
    6) Save the ticked favourites by pressing the green button.
    7) Confirm that they are saved by exiting all menus and while viewing a channel press the blue button. The channels should be there in rotation.
    8) Go into standby (amber light).
    9) Swap back to the Irish card, power the box back on and the UK channels should be on the favourites(blue button).
    Live viewing is all but gone for me at this stage. Recording still works by searching for the program or if its within a day, by moving forward through the epg that pops up by pressing select while viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

Live viewing is all but gone for me at this stage. Recording still works by searching for the program or if its within a day, by moving forward through the epg that pops up by pressing select while viewing.

Why is live viewing nearly gone is it because of the HD pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭dom40

I was sick of my blue button channels jumping back to 998 so i went in to favourites via services and ticked off all the uk channels again with my irish card inserted,I can now watch my blue button channels in peace,once every day at 7pm it jumps back to channel 998 but thats it.strange but true.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Anyone seem to notice that the switch back seems particularly bad with ITV 4?

• Advertisement

dom40 wrote: »
    I was sick of my blue button channels jumping back to 998 so i went in to favourites via services and ticked off all the uk channels again with my irish card inserted,I can now watch my blue button channels in peace,once every day at 7pm it jumps back to channel 998 but thats it.strange but true.
    I tried your method but still switching 998, not as frequently but still switching. Do you have a double press on the blue button between channels now? Maybe the channel on the second press is more dependable than the one on the first press. I record trick channels now as its the most dependable method.

Advertisement