Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How to get Channel 5 and BBC One HD on your Irish EPG and Recordable!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭SPAWKER

Christo
    Yes get all thev ITVs except ITV HD on the Epg and get UTV instead of HTV on 103.Probably dont get ITV HD because its not on the NI Epg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Could the mods move this thread to the Sticky: UK FTA TUNING GUIDE - BBC/ITV/C4/C5/HD & MORE!
    where it would still be available to help people,but wouldn't be glaringly obvious to the TV3's etc and just maybe we might get to hold onto this little gem of a software glitch for the foreseeable future ?

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭SPAWKER

Totally agree with galtee-boy that it should be moved to the sticky UK FTA TUNING GUIDE

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Pete2k

Did this yesterday on a Samsung box and works perfectly, thanks all. Also had BBC1 HD tuned in b4 so got that too. For those that don't have C5 try adding all the encrypted regions on 12422H and see if it appears on 105 for ye then. Of course you wont be able to see it using an Irish card but once Astra 1N takes over it's expected to go FTA so at least you'll have it on the guide already if the software glitch is patched. Might be an idea to add 5* and 5USA as well.
    I have a west midlands card and that region directs to the FTA C5.

Oh and defo agree with merging/hiding this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭celj

Pete2k wrote: »
    Did this yesterday on a Samsung box and works perfectly, thanks all. Also had BBC1 HD tuned in b4 so got that too. For those that don't have C5 try adding all the encrypted regions on 12422H and see if it appears on 105 for ye then. Of course you wont be able to see it using an Irish card but once Astra 1N takes over it's expected to go FTA so at least you'll have it on the guide already if the software glitch is patched. Might be an idea to add 5* and 5USA as well.
    I have a west midlands card and that region directs to the FTA C5.

Oh and defo agree with merging/hiding this thread.

That worked,I have channel 5 now but now it says "This programme is not available 08" on channel 5!!HELP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

celj wrote: »
    That worked,I have channel 5 now but now it says "This programme is not available 08" on channel 5!!HELP
    That particular CH5 is not free to air, you will need a white card for freeview, the reason why you are getting this channel is not available is you have an Irish card in the box.

200motels wrote: »
    That particular CH5 is not free to air, you will need a white card for freeview, the reason why you are getting this channel is not available is you have an Irish card in the box.

I have a FTV card,I have all the channel 5's (4) saved in other channels and still getting the message.
    Its showing up under the Irish card with the trick shown here,just not available!

It's wrecking my head as that's the channel I really need for the wife for Big Brother!:(

I have a FTV card,I have all the channel 5's (4) saved in other channels and still getting the message.
    Its showing up under the Irish card with the trick shown here,just not available!

It's wrecking my head as that's the channel I really need for the wife for Big Brother!:(

You will need a FTV card from a different region to get it working. Your current card is from a region that directs to one of the encrypted C5's. If you get a card from a region that has the FTA version of C5 at 105 then it'll work.
    I have a West Mids card and that directs to the FTA version. Not sure which other regions direct to this one but I think most south/central regions of England (outside London) do.

You will need a FTV card from a different region to get it working. Your current card is from a region that directs to one of the encrypted C5's. If you get a card from a region that has the FTA version of C5 at 105 then it'll work.
    I have a West Mids card and that directs to the FTA version. Not sure which other regions direct to this one but I think most south/central regions of England (outside London) do.

Ah for God's sake!

Just my luck the one channel I need won't work.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

Ah for God's sake!

Just my luck the one channel I need won't work.:(

Where are you located?

• Advertisement

gtg60 wrote: »
    Where are you located?

I'm living in Cork.Got FTV card off friend who lives in Manchester.

Oh right, if you were close I would have offered you a loan of it :(

Thanks anyway!
    Anyone know when these 5 channels will be unencrypted??

Anyone know when these 5 channels will be unencrypted??
    There are FOUR Channel 5 regions, only one is on Astra 2D and that's the one that is unencrypted, the others will stay encrypted until they move to 2D too.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭christo82

would you consider giving me a loan of your card? I live in North Dublin but would be willing to travel to meet up with you. I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

Plenty of FTV cards on ebay for not much more than a tenner. Just be sure to ask the seller what region it's from- anything from London, Scotland and the north of England (Granada, Yorkshire, Border region, etc.) is a no-no. Also from October Northern Ireland will have it's own region so although working now chances are it wont from then on. Midlands, Wales, Anglia, Meridian region cards should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Plenty of FTV cards on ebay for not much more than a tenner. Just be sure to ask the seller what region it's from- anything from London, Scotland and the north of England (Granada, Yorkshire, Border region, etc.) is a no-no. Also from October Northern Ireland will have it's own region so although working now chances are it wont from then on. Midlands, Wales, Anglia, Meridian region cards should be fine.

From October its likely that all Channel Five regions including the new Northern Ireland one will be free to air on Astra 1n.

givecredit wrote: »
    From October its likely that all Channel Five regions including the new Northern Ireland one will be free to air on Astra 1n.

Lets hope so, would be nice to have 5* & 5USA on the Irish guide and recordable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭v10

I have an old blue card that I used to use in a spare box before getting multi room, its well over a year since last used.

Anyway just tried this now in my amstrad hd box and with blue card in and after reboot the epg just remains Irish with 'this programme is not available' on the screen. Is the card dead do you think or is there something else I could be doing wrong ?

Thanks.

v10 wrote: »
    Anyway just tried this now in my amstrad hd box and with blue card in and after reboot the epg just remains Irish with 'this programme is not available' on the screen. Is the card dead do you think or is there something else I could be doing wrong ?

All blue cards are now dead however they still load up the channels. Did you follow the instructions in this thread? You mentioned after 'rebooting', if you did that it definitely won't work.

• Advertisement

All blue cards are now dead however they still load up the channels. Did you follow the instructions in this thread? You mentioned after 'rebooting', if you did that it definitely won't work.

Thanks for the reply, Sorry I said reboot but what I did was remove the sky card, power off at mains, insert the blue card and power back up. When it came back up it still had the Irish epg.

Any ideas ? Thanks.

Have your stored all the matching regions in 'Other channels'?

v10 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, Sorry I said reboot but what I did was remove the sky card, power off at mains, insert the blue card and power back up. When it came back up it still had the Irish epg.

Any ideas ? Thanks.
    Try turning it off with Irish card in the box then take it out put in the blue card wait a few minsk then press Sky on remote and see if you have English EPG if you have turn it off take out the blue card and put in white card and it should work, make sure you have channels in other channels saved. Hope this helps, it won't work on Thomson boxes.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Just to acknowledge the various requests we have recieved regarding this thread. We're considering the issues raised.

thanks for the suggestions but still no luck.. I've a heap of channels stored in other channels but I would have expected to get a UK epg with the blue card in ? Tried 200motels suggestion also but same result. I might leave the uk card in overnight see if anything happens !?

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Finne1993

Unbelievable! BBC1 HD, ITV1HD, Channel 5, all the ITVs and the +1s, BBC News, Alba, Parliament on the EPG for me now, well done OP, brilliant find! Now Mods, get rid of this thread quick!!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

Finne1993 wrote: »
    Unbelievable! BBC1 HD, ITV1HD, Channel 5, all the ITVs and the +1s, BBC News, Alba, Parliament on the EPG for me now, well done OP, brilliant find! Now Mods, get rid of this thread quick!!
    Been a bit selfish there are we??? :)
    "I'll have my combo EPG, but no one else can!!! "

It's the internet, there is not way of conrolling this type of info once it is discovered!!!

Been a bit selfish there are we??? :)
    "I'll have my combo EPG, but no one else can!!! "

It's the internet, there is not way of conrolling this type of info once it is discovered!!!
    It doesn't matter Sky knows about this quirk and at the moment they can't do anything about it as it's down to the updated software that's on the new boxes in regard to anytime plus. That's what a Sky installer told me last night. Now whether he's telling me the truth is anyones guess. My nephew is a software engineer and he said that it's a simple fix for Sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭alfreg

Super all worked for me with a BBC East & ITV Anglia card :D. Now to find a way of deleteing TV3!

• Advertisement

alfreg wrote: »
    Super all worked for me with a BBC East & ITV Anglia card :D. Now to find a way of deleteing TV3!
    If only we could.

Advertisement