Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Certificate photocopies for research purposes.

• 29-01-2016 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭

Sometimes when I need BMD records for research purposes, instead of heading to the GRO in Dublin, I go to my nearest Registration Office to get them. A lot of the records are computerised but some of the older ones are not. If the record I need is computerised, it is simply a matter of the registrar searching for and printing off the relevant one. However, if I am looking for an older record which isn't computerised, the original registrars' books for the (usually local) district in question have to be searched and when the required record is located, the whole page with that particular record on it is photocopied and the required record cut out and given to me.

I asked if it would be possible to purchase the whole page photocopy for a fee instead of just the record I was looking for and I was told that I can only be given the information I sought in the first place! (Data Protection etc.)

I was amazed when I was told this but the lady I was dealing with said that they couldn't do anything about this and that it was datra protection policy.

I was in the same office recently and while I was there, the cleaner was emptying the wastepaper baskets into clear plastic refuse sacks and it was like getting a kick in the teeth to see all the surplus records in the bag on its way to the bin.

I believe that this practice should be stopped and researchers should be given the option of purchasing the whole photocopied page, instead of just one particular record, for a reasonable fee. I would have no problem paying for this, if the option was there.
    What do you other researchers think??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

It never occurred to me to request any more than the record I actually want. Why would I want a random stranger's record anyway? I have more than enough to deal with with my own mountain of records. But I was unhappy to learn that records were just being put in the rubbish and I certainly hope they were going to be shredded or incinerated. I wouldn't want my records hanging around bins.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I think their policy is reasonable. If they allowed what you wanted, then companies could get their hands on a lot of information at once. As far as I know, most district registry offices don't even allow what you have access to. Certainly in Dublin, you can only get research copies in Werburgh St and not at any of the places people go to register current or recent events.

Did you ask where the bins were being emptied into? It's possible they have confidential shredding/recycling in place.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

When I started buying research certs in the 90's you would be given an image that contained three or four entries.
    When struggling with bad hand writing this could be very useful.

Also, in the case of twins you would usually only need to apply for one birth record.

4YZwr0u.jpg

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Any pre-1916 research certs now they may as well give you the entire image purely because the data is unprotected to begin with - and we've been promised the actual images online for a while now...

After 1916 its a bit of a minefield. You knowing what to request does throttle potential data theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Alan259

I had a mother and her son’s deaths registered on the same page and it is a little annoying to think they are both on the same page but I have to pay four euro to get them both.

I even had two pairs of great great grandparents who were unrelated to each other have their marriages recorded on the same page but I only got one of them. Again, it’s a bit frustrating.

• Advertisement
Advertisement