Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A potential cure for almost all viruses - Draco

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 I Sh1t My Pantz

iamstop wrote: »
    This is one of many news articles about this potential new wonder drug. I only just stumbled upon this through a comment on a popsci article about HIV.
    http://www.21stcentech.com/biomedicine-update-slay-viruses-forever/

Pretty amazing stuff if it all works. I wonder if the big pharma will try to develop this or quash it?
    Stopped reading it at "cure"...there's no money in that. Maybe in a few decades when things change.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Xeyn

Stopped reading it at "cure"...there's no money in that. Maybe in a few decades when things change.

Your comment doesnt make much sense. If a pharma company could find a 'cure all' for viruses it would make billions. There are not talking about eradicating viruses which would be extremely difficult in this day and age. They are talking about treating already infected humans who have viral illness's. And diseases such as influenza, rhino virus amongst a myriad of others means repeat customers just as much as the symptomatic treatment options that exist today.

Firstly pharma companies do not control all medical studies contrary to the conspiracy theorists fantasies. There would be no way to 'quash' a legitimate breakthrough if it happened especially in an independent lab.
    Once research is done it doesnt enter onto the radar of the pharma companies until its published - and if its big news, then a highly respected scientfic peer reviewed journal. regardless if its big enough it'll get out there somewhere. These pharama companies cannot stop the process going to human trials if the science is good and if it gets results there is no stopping it.

Whilst big multinational pharma companies probably have dubious ethics I cant see major breakthroughs being halted by them.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Well I this really is a cure for AIDs/HIV then it should be possible to basically eradicate it like they have almost done with polio.
    The drug companies make HUGE money from people in the west who must take a cocktail of drugs every single day to extend their lives.
    I think this needs some major funding from some billionaire philanthropist or group of.
    There has been a few stories about big pharma corruption.

Bayar known aids infected drugs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contaminated_haemophilia_blood_products

More recent, GSM in $3Bn fraud scandal.

Now tell me again about these 'probably dubious ethics' please.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Xeyn

iamstop wrote: »
    Well I this really is a cure for AIDs/HIV then it should be possible to basically eradicate it like they have almost done with polio.
    The drug companies make HUGE money from people in the west who must take a cocktail of drugs every single day to extend their lives.
    I think this needs some major funding from some billionaire philanthropist or group of.
    There has been a few stories about big pharma corruption.

Bayar known aids infected drugs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contaminated_haemophilia_blood_products

More recent, GSM in $3Bn fraud scandal.

Now tell me again about these 'probably dubious ethics' please.

The polio drive was a vaccination drive not a 'cure'. And it is not 'eradicated' but the iniative was an unprecedented success. It's very different. And scare mongerers, with no proven science behind them, are undermining excellent vaccination drive results and we are seeing reversals because if this particularly in the United States.
    There are billions to be made with this potential cure, there is zero doubt about that. It's a huge gamble to pin your hopes on treatment without a cure as anyone could potentially come up with a cure and render the treatment worthless.

As for the quote you used of mine- what exactly is your point. I mentioned big companies probably have dubious ethics. I have no proof that all companies are such and I doubt you do either so pray tell me your problem with it.

All researchers are obliged to disclose any sources for financial backing for research they do thus declaring conflicts of interest in the open.
    Bottom line is research usually costs a lot of money and its those with vested interests who usually want to pour money into that research so they could potentially see the profits at the end. This is not always pharmaceutical companies and a lot of research in a lot of countries are either publically funded or privately by other institutions.
    We are dealing with human being and there are people devoid of morals in EVERY walk of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Veesport

What about vitamin C? In really high doses...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭pc11

Xeyn wrote: »
    Your comment doesnt make much sense. If a pharma company could find a 'cure all' for viruses it would make billions. There are not talking about eradicating viruses which would be extremely difficult in this day and age. They are talking about treating already infected humans who have viral illness's. And diseases such as influenza, rhino virus amongst a myriad of others means repeat customers just as much as the symptomatic treatment options that exist today.

Firstly pharma companies do not control all medical studies contrary to the conspiracy theorists fantasies. There would be no way to 'quash' a legitimate breakthrough if it happened especially in an independent lab.
    Once research is done it doesnt enter onto the radar of the pharma companies until its published - and if its big news, then a highly respected scientfic peer reviewed journal. regardless if its big enough it'll get out there somewhere. These pharama companies cannot stop the process going to human trials if the science is good and if it gets results there is no stopping it.

Whilst big multinational pharma companies probably have dubious ethics I cant see major breakthroughs being halted by them.

Stop with your logic and sense.

Seriously, I am a vocal critic of big pharma, but they would clearly develop and monetise this, not quash it.

The original article has been updated with some possible dates of seeing this.
    Interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 DanT88

Even if people had found such a cure, they would have had to examine it very carefully for 20-30 years. It sounds absurd to be honest. If it were, I wouldn't be using a pocket drug guide to this day. By the way it's a lot more useful than these fairy tales. This is what I use https://pocketdrugguide.com/ . I mean that I personally am always worried about my health and I know a doctor, we called him, he prescribed my treatment, and I got into the pocket drug guide because of my curiosity and read what kind of drugs. And believe me, they are all far from universal!

Advertisement