Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Limerick-Foynes Rail Line

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    or was the interviewee stating speculation as fact?

Yes, they were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

well there is supposed to be a re-opening of the line proposed for freight to Foynes port but it all went quiet a while back. It was mostly for ore from a mine in Tipperary so it really doesn't have any bearing on the WRC debaclé

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

Isn't there a motorway planned from Limerick to Foynes?

not a motorway, an improved N road...jeez they can't even build one to Cork!

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

The rail line is reopening. Work has already started on repairing the track.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Does anyone know if it's for ore to go yes or something else ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    Does anyone know if it's for ore to go yes or something else ?

It's being reopened by a private company. Don't know anything about whether or not it's for ore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Treepole wrote: »
    The rail line is reopening. Work has already started on repairing the track.

Where has work started on the track?

Where has work started on the track?

Local sources tell me that the line clearing machines have arrived in Foynes.

working on the line to re-open it or simple maintenance? I can't place any credence on the claim that work has started to re-open the line with out evidence and corroboration

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

corktina wrote: »
    working on the line to re-open it or simple maintenance? I can't place any credence on the claim that work has started to re-open the line with out evidence and corroboration

Ok, we'll see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Lenton Lane

Treepole wrote: »
    Ok, we'll see.

Line has to be cleared first before any work begins.

Line has to be cleared first before any work begins.

Clearing the line is work and it has commenced with a view to re-establishing it as a freight route to be operated by a private company.

I'm not so sure. They cleared the WRC a couple of years ago and the New Ross to Waterford.

I'm not so sure. They cleared the WRC a couple of years ago and the New Ross to Waterford.

Believe what you want. I'm telling you what's happening.

can I ask why you decided to launch this news on here as a brand new member?

I was googling for news on the line reopening and came across this thread and decided the enlighten you. I'm sorry I did now.

why so? if it's true it's of a lot of interest. Noone else has reported it in all the forums and fb pages I'm a member of though, so I'm a little sceptical

why so? if it's true it's of a lot of interest. Noone else has reported it in all the forums and fb pages I'm a member of though, so I'm a little sceptical

Well consider yourself fortunate to be one of the first in your groups to know so. Its only the reopening of a train line, I don't see what I would have to gain by making it up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

Maybe they were keeping the news as a surprise for you.

that would be a nice surprsie!

Any photos treepole?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

A letter sent to residents along the line recently.

image.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Lenton Lane

May I ask the relevance of that question?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Let's get back on topic and leave the meta-discussion.

If anyone has a problem with a particular post please use the report post button.

As always, please do mot reply to this message on-thread.

A letter sent to residents along the line recently.

image.jpg

Thank you...so it's a study rather than work strted...as I suspected.

Thank you...so it's a study rather than work strted...as I suspected.

It's happening alright. The line is obviously in a state of disrepair so firstly the vegetation will be cleared. There will also be structural repairs to be done to a number of the river crossings. Also the existing manual road crossing gates are to be replaced with automatic ones.

Robertstown viaduct is most likely still a problem, it was a contributory factor as to why the line was closed in the first place.

• Advertisement

How close are the new mines located to existed rail infrastructure?

Advertisement