Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to predict water visablity

• 25-08-2020 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I love the odd spot of snorkling around rocky beaches and I am interested in doing it more. However water visability always seems to be a lottery. If it is poor I dont enjoy snorkling much. How does one predict when there will be good water visability in the sea? Is it based on tides and wind speed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭yankinlk

What part of the coast are you asking about? Viz can be a hyper local thing....

Generally rain is bad, runoff from the land worse again. But a few km from a closed beach can be fine if you can get away from it.

Settled conditions for a few days are ideal, but then extended periods of sun and calm breeds algae eventually and you can have that green plankton bloom...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Hi
    I love the odd spot of snorkling around rocky beaches and I am interested in doing it more. However water visability always seems to be a lottery. If it is poor I dont enjoy snorkling much. How does one predict when there will be good water visability in the sea? Is it based on tides and wind speed?

If you get to know an area (visit regularly) you can learn how it reacts to different conditions (rainfall, sunshine, coastal winds etc) , after a bit of time (a year or two), you might get a better idea of what the visibility will be like .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

yankinlk wrote: »
    What part of the coast are you asking about? Viz can be a hyper local thing....

Generally rain is bad, runoff from the land worse again. But a few km from a closed beach can be fine if you can get away from it.

Settled conditions for a few days are ideal, but then extended periods of sun and calm breeds algae eventually and you can have that green plankton bloom...

South east. Thanks a lot. I guess I should find rocky beaches with less streams near

Advertisement