Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Siemens KG31V04 vario electronic tripping out

Options
  • 03-01-2021 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭

Hi all, looking for some advice on my fridge freezer tripping out, it will run again after being plugged out for a day .

Free standing Siemens KG31V04 vario electronic frost free fridge freezer purchased February 1999

Over time the Fridge Door sagged affecting the light on/off switch resulting in the fridge section not chilling food – this year I removed the Philips dual light – food was cooled but fridge iced up on back wall over a period of 3 to 4 months. I used a steam cleaner to de-ice the back wall of the fridge and then the trouble began (I have since read that this is a no no).
    A week later plugged it in and it ran for approx. 1 week, before tripping the electricity. Thinking it might be the dual bulb, I replaced this with one taken from an old Ice Diamond Hotpoint one in the shed. I raised the fridge dial to its second highest setting and chanced the extra Christmas groceries in both freezer and fridge and blissfully it worked for the 12 days. It tripped out again New Years’ morning, it will run for approx. 1 min before tripping again.

Is it worth calling out a Service Engineer to assess it.

I did purchase a new free standing Siemens frost free fridge freezer before Christmas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

It could be any number of things causing the short but from your description the first place to look would be around the compressor motor at the back.check the tray that collects the water after defrosting it may have a hairline crack allowing water into the electrics of the motor causing the short, the fact that it can start up again after a few days could indicate that the moisture has dried up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Thank you Ace for your prompt reply, I really appreciate it..

I switched it back on at 7:40 pm and it is still running.

Earlier today I removed the freezer drawers and used a low setting on the hair dryer to remove any frosting on the elements, (first having read all your posts on this forum). I also used kitchen paper to remove any water in the plastic tray over the condenser and gave that area a blow of the hair dryer as well. It still took a number of hours of switching it on at intervals before it stayed running. It would be great if it is something as simple as a crack on the overflow tray.

Looking on youtube, someone suggested that 99% of the time the cause of tripping is down to a faulty defrost heater element.

Yeah if the fridge is a frost free a defrost element is surely a contender, the fact you mentioned a build up of ice on back wall would suggest conventional f/freezer I haven’t a service sheet to identify which

The build up on the back wall was as a result of me taking out the bulb, a Philips heavy duty 15W XBJ, which I think performed a dual role, fridge light and also stayed on during warm weather. I replaced this, when I noticed that part of its filiament wire was hanging loose, but it still lit up. It was explained to me at one time that the vario/electronic model was designed for a warm kitchen and not where I had it in an unheated utility room.

I have included a link to the diagram, I was trying to figure out a part number for the defrost element, and failed.

Your help is appreciated.

https://www.siemens-home.bsh-group.com/ie/supportdetail/product/KG31V04GB/01#/Tabs=section-spareparts/

Well i'm back again looking for help.

The fridge freezer tripped out again tonight at 8pm (a total of 11 days running).

There was very little water in the drip tray, which could rule out the drip tray.

There was some frost on the back wall in the fridge area, which was easily removed as I think the temp was raised.

• Advertisement

Looking at the diagram it has no defrost element, just cycling on the thermostat, ideally you need a meter to trace the current leakage to earth. The fact that it will run again after a rest would suggest moisture causing a short to earth and after drying out will eliminate the fault until the next short. It might be worth investigating around the mains terminal where the lead enters. If it has a small coil connected across the blue and brown connections with green going to earth disconnect it and run it without it.these suppressors can cause tripping like you describe. You are into territory beyond DIY really unless you can use a meter.

Thank you so much for taking the time.

My brother is an electrician, so he will understand what you have suggested. I will show this to him. ( Although getting him to call in will be another day's work ).

Advertisement