Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MSX プレミアムトーク Sexy Fever Premium Chat™

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭BGOllie

STG.Otaku wrote: »
    What kind of pads could I use on an MSX/1chip MSX? Are they wired up like a Neo Geo? Maybe a bean stick will do the job in that case.

I used anything from videopac controlers (good and sturdy) to the master system ones for some two buttons MEGA POWER.
    But after a while I only used the keyboard to play games. The philips MSX2 (vg8235) I have has some nice big solid directional keys that feel great.

philips_8235_System_2.jpg

Considering a one chip msx too though I must say

the konami cart were nice too with the [stolen]artwork well displayed most of the time. Some JP carts also had different art

konami10.jpg

... Nothing to play on it though :( Might have to improvise someway of loading in WAV files.

There's a good amount of things for sale from this guy :
    http://www.msx.org/forum/msx-talk/trading-and-collecting/sale-3?page=0

Was thinking about getting few carts myself if anyone's interested we could split shipping on carts

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,805 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

One thing I find crazy about the MSX is because it has two cartridge ports some developers took advantage of this, especially Konami. Having two games in the port can lead to unlocking whole new games or remixed versions both games. They tried it for a while on the DS with DS and GBA games but none got released outside of Japan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

Can we all agree on one thing? Everyone participating on this thread who doesn't have an MSX is now going to buy an MSX yes?

Good. Glad that's settled. It's like The Tower: Part II. :pac: :D

• Advertisement

LongZ wrote: »
    philips_8235_System_2.jpg

dat-ass.gif

elvis_champagne.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Would prefer a NSX myself, but a MSX will have to do I suppose.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    One thing I find crazy about the MSX is because it has two cartridge ports some developers took advantage of this, especially Konami. Having two games in the port can lead to unlocking whole new games or remixed versions both games. They tried it for a while on the DS with DS and GBA games but none got released outside of Japan.

Especially used by Konami at the time , some combinations of carts offered certain cheats or the posibility of continues... there's a list somewhere of all the combos

• Registered Users Posts: 34,420 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

That's really interesting about fan translations. This site seems to think that MSX Snatcher was the first fan translation ever created. (the link is actually to buy a retranslated version which is meant to be really high quality)

http://www.project-melancholia.org/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,805 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It might well have been.

• Advertisement

I have an MSX. It's a big hit wit d mot. :cool:

BarryWhite.gif

The Reprofactory crowd also sells a kit to make your own cart . A blank cart with software to dump your rom onto it

repro-kit.jpg

http://reprofactory.blogspot.ie/p/kit-repro.html

bit on the pricy side but good to get some of the disk games, fan translations and the more rare ones

I'd keep saving and get of the flash cart combo then buy a few of them.

Didn't know Undeadline was on the MSX! Dammit this computer is getting more and more attractive to me!

5US.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

It's like The Tower: Part II. :pac: :D

I had the same thought yesterday :D As for the thread itself, la la la can't hear anything

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

...oh it's good not to be laughed at anymore when I mention the MSX :D

No one laughed at the mention of the MSX, you're thinking of the CDi and Zelda

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Myrddin wrote: »
    I had the same thought yesterday :D As for the thread itself, la la la can't hear anything

Aye, I was curious until LongZ said the PC Engine has better versions anyway. I'm happy in my ignorance of all things MSX. As is my wallet! :)

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Aye, I was curious until LongZ said the PC Engine has better versions anyway. I'm happy in my ignorance of all things MSX. As is my wallet! :)

Yeah yeah... ;)

fF2KUXJ.gif

Yeah yeah... ;)

I'm waiting on my SMSL sAp-5 because of you. Enough I tells ya! :pac:

I'm waiting on my SMSL sAp-5 because of you. Enough I tells ya! :pac:

Did you get one? Good man! They are savage. I use one with my Fiio X5. :)

Now, about buying an MSX... :)

• Advertisement

Now, about buying an MSX... :)

102281d1330235569-ps-black-gt-boss-grabber-blue-thoughts-starsky_and_hutch-_do_it.jpg

...so a Turbo R GT, sold as junk is going for over €1000.

:(

Wow that some money for a junker !! Those 1chip units seem fairly rare as well.

Wow that some money for a junker !! Those 1chip units seem fairly rare as well.

Alas yes. There's a couple non-working on eBay for around £400-450 too, though ST models, not GT. But without some soldering skills of the likes of yours, it's a big risk for a lot of money. 1Chip systems are presently £900 on eBay. One went this week on the MSX.org site for €500 which in comparison appears to be a bargain.

Personally I'd really like the GT Turbo R, but at those prices for a junker they can jog on and rot. Such a shame the price of MSX gear is so ridiculous. Blue MSX is nice though... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

After I go onto ebay looking for a MSX

S9FRN.gif

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Philips-VG-8235-MSX-2-Computer-with-working-drive-Arcade-Joystick-cables-Discs-/331383880017?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_146&hash=item4d2804b951

I'd say it'll go up to 100 ...

the Philips MSX2 vg8235 is a good model and not as expensive as the sony models especially from dutch or german selles

I'd say it'll go up to 100 ...

It has a BIN of €65 though? Although the postage is fairly hefty on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,420 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I take it EU models are cripped at 50hz though, so probably best avoided anyway?

It has a BIN of €65 though? Although the postage is fairly hefty on it.

oops didn't even spot that sorry.
    actually discard it altogether, the item description isn't encouraging :)
    "Items are sold as 'defect' due to their vintage nature. For example: When I test an item as working, I might be broken by the time it arrives at your doorstep. "

roiiiight :pac:

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    I take it EU models are cripped at 50hz though, so probably best avoided anyway?

it'll run at 50hz yes.
    I must say for me it's more about the nostalgia factor than anything else so I'm happy having the same experience with it I had as a kid ; ie : 50hz
    but if you're after the 60hz experience it'll have to be a jap import yes, they're not the easiest beasts to mod (although it's been done)

Advertisement