Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buy a second hand Mac, any recommendations?

• 19-09-2008 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

My (second hand) Cube is just a tad too slow and though I have been looking for a processor upgrade, those upgrades are in the 200 euro league = too much.

So I have my eye on 'newer' Apple product.

First on the list was the Mac Mini, but it seems they are too expensive, even second hand. Most Apples are quite expensive so I was hoping for an Imac G4 17 inch or more lamp model.

Problem is that they rarely show up on Ebay nowadays and if it comes from the UK you pay ridiculous shipping costs (Germany is a lot cheaper).
    On Ebay USA, a lot of people don't ship to Europe and even there Imacs are not common.

So to make a long story short: is there any shop in Germany or USA that sells and ships second hand Imacs to Europe for a decent price. USA and Germany because it seems they are cheaper?

Thanks for any tips.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I'm in the same boat. As a general rule I'd go with Germany over the States - no customs duty. Other than that I can't be of much use I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Adverts.ie often has cheap second-hand apple stuff, such as Mac Minis.

womoma wrote: »
    Adverts.ie often has cheap second-hand apple stuff, such as Mac Minis.
    There hasn't been a Mac Mini on Adverts for a long time, I've had my eye out :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

What do you want to pay, and roughly what kind of a Mac do you want? Laptop or desktop, for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Wcool

Preferably an Imac G4 20 inch lamp model (5 years old?)
    Willing to pay up to 350 euro depending on specs
    17inch. Up to 300

Or a mac mini G4, up to 200 euro
    Or a mac mini intel, up to 270 or so

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

i don;t think you'll get a 20" for 350 euro, they were about 2500 when they came out, and people just won't reduce a price that much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Hmm. Maybe if you asked in places that mend Macs, like Typetec in Dublin and... what's the name of that nice place in Galway? They probably know of people who might be upgrading.

The usual rule that I apply to PC's is that the price (almost) halves every year.
    This seems to be true for 'normal' PC's. So a PC that you bought 2 years ago for a 1000 is now only 250-300 euro.

Even if the price for the Apples was 2000 euro 5 years ago. it should now be below the 200 euro region. So apparently Apple has something magical and people are hanging on to them or are prepared to pay a premium price for it.

The Apple Cube cost me 200 euro 2 years ago. so it *is* possible :)

Examples of shops in the States that do not seem to ship internationally:
    Gain Saver 17 inch iMac

Powermax preowned_macs

You are right about 350 not being enough, it seems to cost around 450.
    But they don't ship to Europe AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭randombar

Isn't there a website that will give you guide prices for how much your mac is worth?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Isn't there a website that will give you guide prices for how much your mac is worth?

Yes, there is:

http://www.mac2sell.net/

I think their estimates are a bit generous though - they tend to over-value some older systems, at least IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭tubos

Breezer wrote: »
    There hasn't been a Mac Mini on Adverts for a long time, I've had my eye out :(

I've one for sale on adverts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭dubmick

OP, did you check buy and sell? I sold a mac mini a couple of years back with them

tubos wrote: »
    I've one for sale on adverts
    Hmm, thanks for the heads up, but I don't need that high a spec and can't afford what you're asking. You should get a buyer though, it's a decent reduction.

Just looked, there are some G5's it seems. First time I have ever looked at Buy and Sell. Thanks for the tip. Will be following this site a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

With the G4 iMac you're paying extra for it being just about the best looking computer ever designed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32 GingerG

Hey there
    i'm hoping to sell my Apple iMac and haven't the first clue where to put it or what. I've put an add in Buy and Sell butwhere else is good to try send sell one.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

GingerG wrote: »
    Hey there
    i'm hoping to sell my Apple iMac and haven't the first clue where to put it or what. I've put an add in Buy and Sell butwhere else is good to try send sell one.

Link up at the top if the page - adverts.ie

Advertisement