Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Whey Protein

• 28-12-2018 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,279 ✭✭✭

Use and benefits of whey protein is debatable to some, but ignoring that for a moment - whey protein prices has been going up over the last few years for some reason.

Apart from the occasional deals and pricing mistakes from Amazon, it's usually around 20 euro per kg from almost all most sources (Amazon, MyProtein etc). Even Aldi and Lidl stock Whey Protein and they are also around 20 euro mark per kilo.

So I was pleasantly surprised to see Dunnes Stores has whey protein for €15 per kilo - a local brand called ROS Nutrition, some local endorsements. Comes in couple of flavors on the shelf (strawberry, vanilla, chocolate).

If you see any other decent whey protein deals, please share!!

PS: Dunnes appears cheaper than ROS nutrition's own website.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,295 ✭✭✭✭zell12

A quick gander shows you can get cheaper, €6.70/kg via parcelmotel
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KXX78A4/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭caviardreams

zell12 wrote: »
    A quick gander shows you can get cheaper, €6.70/kg via parcelmotel
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KXX78A4/

In fairness that product is not just whey and only contains around 68% protein - the likes of the Ros nutrition product is typically closer to 80% - plus you only need to buy 1kg and not 5kg.
    Also it is quite well known that some supplements companies spike whey with amino acids to make the protein content appear higher, I have never heard of this brand personally whereas ROS have a good name/reputation.

Good spot OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,279 ✭✭✭positron

^^^ Thanks.

Of course, Amazon has couple of options - 'Bulk Powders', MyProtien and USN that usually is around £12-15 per kilo, but you will have to order to ParcelMotel as none of those sellers ship here, even when fulfilled by Amazon - not sure what that is.

Dunnes Stores have outdone even Aldi and Lidl in this instance - not to mention Tesco's Holland & Barret's whey prices around north of €30 per kilo.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭DM-BM

positron wrote: »
    ^^^ Thanks.

Of course, Amazon has couple of options - 'Bulk Powders', MyProtien and USN that usually is around £12-15 per kilo, but you will have to order to ParcelMotel as none of those sellers ship here, even when fulfilled by Amazon - not sure what that is.

Dunnes Stores have outdone even Aldi and Lidl in this instance - not to mention Tesco's Holland & Barret's whey prices around north of €30 per kilo.

Bulk Powders and Myprotien have Irish websites and the uk websites will send here.

By far the cheapest option for whey is only buy from Myprotien when they have 35%/40% off and buy 5kg at a time, I only buy from the uk site and end up paying around £40 for 5kg unflavoured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭VonZan

Whey protein and other supplements are just going to keep increasing as the EU clamps down on the sports nutrition market. Some big companies have pulled out of the EU over the past couple of years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Decent price for a supermarket OP

I find AOB competitive and its the same 15e/kg

https://aobnutrition.ie/MyProtein-Impact-Whey-Protein-2-5kg

Have 18 snickers proteins bars for 15e too

https://aobnutrition.ie/Snickers-Protein-Flapjack-x18

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

VonZan wrote: »
    Whey protein and other supplements are just going to keep increasing as the EU clamps down on the sports nutrition market. Some big companies have pulled out of the EU over the past couple of years.

Clamp down? Are they going to clamp down on cheese and milk too then?

Years ago most of the whey was chucked in the bin as a by product.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭obi604

Use and benefits of whey protein is debatable to some, but ignoring that for a moment - whey protein prices has been going up over the last few years for some reason.

Apart from the occasional deals and pricing mistakes from Amazon, it's usually around 20 euro per kg from almost all most sources (Amazon, MyProtein etc). Even Aldi and Lidl stock Whey Protein and they are also around 20 euro mark per kilo.

So I was pleasantly surprised to see Dunnes Stores has whey protein for €15 per kilo - a local brand called ROS Nutrition, some local endorsements. Comes in couple of flavors on the shelf (strawberry, vanilla, chocolate).

If you see any other decent whey protein deals, please share!!

PS: Dunnes appears cheaper than ROS nutrition's own website.

Is this still available in Dunnes?
    Or was it only a special offer scenario?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Whey Protein on BulkPowders is coming in at 55€ or 11€/KG if you select the 5KG option under the size.

Code - EXTRA25E has to be used a checkout.

Alright price I suppose, I got two bags of 2.5KG has week for 50€ so 10€ a KG

obi604 wrote: »
    Is this still available in Dunnes?
    Or was it only a special offer scenario?

Chanced going to Dunnes today and picked up a pack.
    Seems good value.

• Advertisement

Yeah, it wasn't a special deal or anything - just regular price.

Yeah, it wasn't a special deal or anything - just regular price.

anybody know if its supposed to come with the little 'scoop' IN the bag?

edit, IGNORE, found it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,724 ✭✭✭893bet

Chanced going to Dunnes today and picked up a pack.
    Seems good value.

Label seems strange.

First ingredient is ultra filtered whey protein concentrate (milk, Soy).

Since Soya is not “whey” obviously it should not be in the bracket and should be split into a separate ingredient in order of greatest quantity......i.e whey protein concentrate 50%, soy protein isolate 45% etc.

They it’s stuctured tells us 2 things. Neither of which is good.

1) either they don’t understand their product
    Or
    2) they are trying to hide the make up as it’s likely poor quality

Suspect this is made using a low grade cheap WPC (maybe 60% protein content) and and a soy isolate (90% protein by volume) in equal quantities to arrive at the overall 75% protein level.

Post above made me curious about this whole whey / soy thing.

So far I haven't found anything wrong with soy protein - just different source and different amino acids, but all research seems to have pointed to it being just as good as milk / whey. But who knows, it all depends on who's paying the author of each of these articles on the web I suppose.

Meanwhile, Ros Nutrition website doesn't mention soy in ingredients - says it's all whey protein concentrate (milk):

https://www.rosnutrition.com/ie/product/target-whey-protein

• Registered Users Posts: 8,724 ✭✭✭893bet

So far I haven't found anything wrong with soy protein - just different source and different amino acids, but all research seems to have pointed to it being just as good as milk / whey. But who knows, it all depends on who's paying the author of each of these articles on the web I suppose.

Meanwhile, Ros Nutrition website doesn't mention soy in ingredients - says it's all whey protein concentrate (milk):

It’s cheaper is all. Got a lot of bad press difference times but is a “complete” protein. Average joe soap will notice no difference.

I noted different nutritional profile on the website. The label in dunes seems to be an over label rather than part of the print on the bag.

What do ye think on this?

Go to gym. Workout.
    Immediately after workout, take whey protein.
    Drive home and 30 minutes later take a meal (tuna etc) Too soon for the meal is it ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 bandera1234

This is whey out of line ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭bladespin

obi604 wrote:
    Go to gym. Workout. Immediately after workout, take whey protein. Drive home and 30 minutes later take a meal (tuna etc) Too soon for the meal is it ?

The protein in the meal will take a while to be broken down and be absorbed so it's probably not as close together as you think.

Was just in Aldi there. See they have 908 grams for 24.99 (USN).

And Dunnes one (ROS) is 15 Euro for 1 Kg

So Dunnes seems excellent value. I didn’t go in to the details etc maybe the Aldi one is higher quality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭4motion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Myprotein or bulk powders, wait for one of their 35/40% sale

myprotein.ie considered reputable?
    Or is perfectbody.ie ok too?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

myprotein.ie considered reputable?
    Or is perfectbody.ie ok too?

Myprotein is probably the most reputable brand on the market.

I wouldn't order from a site called perfectbody, just sounds bad, may as well call your website magicsixpackpowder.com

Myprotein or bulkpowders Would be top
    Gonutritrion and protein works are also good. These sites are all competing so there are always big discounts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭4motion

JJayoo wrote: »
    Myprotein is probably the most reputable brand on the market.

I wouldn't order from a site called perfectbody, just sounds bad, may as well call your website magicsixpackpowder.com

Myprotein or bulkpowders Would be top
    Gonutritrion and protein works are also good. These sites are all competing so there are always big discounts

Check reviews on facebook https://www.facebook.com/perfectbody.ie/ they selling good brands (many of them better than myprotein) ni great prices. Myprotein is like harvey norman always SALE there.

Whey protein is becoming so mainstream lately (probably a fad, but I would say it's likely to last as long current running/cycling trend keeps going), I am surprised Aldi and Lidl hasn't come up with their own cheap version (rather than selling USN at a high price).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Whey protein is becoming so mainstream lately (probably a fad, but I would say it's likely to last as long current running/cycling trend keeps going), I am surprised Aldi and Lidl hasn't come up with their own cheap version (rather than selling USN at a high price).

Whey Protein has been in use for decades.

I was using the stuff back in the late 90s and early 2000s after each gym session or rugby match.

It is absolutely not a fad, but works best for those who exercise or work out actively.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Sonics2k wrote: »

I was using the stuff back in the late 90s and early 2000s after each gym session or rugby match.

It is absolutely not a fad, but works best for those who exercise or work out actively.

Multiple benefits for older folk as well apparently.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I eat soya protein yogurts as a treat and they have way more protein than i'd expected.
    I can't handle much whey protein so i eat the beef one from bulkpowders

Sonics2k wrote: »

Not disputing any of that - but I haven't seen whey in supermarkets before 2015 or so.

I have tried MyProtien, USN and Optimum wheys in the past and USN is the sweetest followed by MyProtien, Optimum and lastly ROS, in that order. ROS claims to be 'low sugar' as well. Yet, when I compared the labels, both USN and ROS has approximately same amount of sugar - around 2%. Perhaps its' different type of sweetener, sucrose/sucralose type thing. It's not a lot anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Best place to get cheap bars online?

Advertisement