Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

AMD Zen Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Redfox25

If your aim is 60fps gaming with a high-end graphics card, then no. The 4690k is more than capable of that in modern and upcoming games.

Cheers
    Its paired with a AMD Fury and I am playing 120 fps in 1440p Freesync monitor, in games like WoW, which is CPU intensive. It does see dips in places but that might be the engine rather than my system. Rarely seen below 60 fps.

Other games the combo seems to work really well.

Fury might not be considered true high end card ofc but it was cheap at the time and seems to run better than my 390x which had coil whine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Gotta say. I'm pretty hype :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

That's something I'm very interested to see with Ryzen: Minimum framerates. It'll be interesting to see if/how much minimums are affected by the new CPU architecture, as well as just having more cores in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Wraith Spire
    wraith-spire.jpg?resize=800%2C450&ssl=1

Wraith Stealth
    wraith-stealth.jpg?resize=800%2C450&ssl=1

Wraith Max
    wraith-max.jpg?resize=800%2C450&ssl=1

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Redfox25 wrote: »
    Cheers
    Its paired with a AMD Fury and I am playing 120 fps in 1440p Freesync monitor, in games like WoW, which is CPU intensive. It does see dips in places but that might be the engine rather than my system. Rarely seen below 60 fps.

Other games the combo seems to work really well.

Fury might not be considered true high end card ofc but it was cheap at the time and seems to run better than my 390x which had coil whine.

I have a 4690k paired with a 1070. In Witcher 3 maxed out at stock clocks I get about 80FPS, going upwards on CPU clock to 4.4ghz I get over 100fps average, so I can see the CPU bottlenecking the GPU in this case. However I've never experienced the processor to give such a performance that would give me undesireable results (I have a 144hz monitor myself).

WoW utilizes single thread performance over multicore, Ryzen single core performance is debatable still so if you're willing to muddle with your clocks on the 4690k to get higher FPS, thats probably the best way to go imo. Don't think the Fury would bottleneck here at all given the game at hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

some impressive stuff, now just waiting to see how they overclock, 1800x @ 4.3-4.5 and i think i might have to buy one.....unless we get the typical irish tax and end up paying 700euro as opposed to $499

edit: who am i kidding thats the most likely scenario :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Serephucus wrote: »
    That's something I'm very interested to see with Ryzen: Minimum framerates. It'll be interesting to see if/how much minimums are affected by the new CPU architecture, as well as just having more cores in general.

If you are on a quad core with a 100hz+ monitor and a high end graphics card an 8 core/thread processor is going to have much higher minimum frame rates in a lot of games.

I've seen several benchmarks showing mins of around 60 on a quad core compared to mins of around 90 on a quad with HT.
    some impressive stuff, now just waiting to see how they overclock, 1800x @ 4.3-4.5 and i think i might have to buy one.....unless we get the typical irish tax and end up paying 700euro as opposed to $499

Add roughly 20% on top of any of the US prices to get the EU prices. It will be €600 here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

What good quality motherboard would guys recommend for a Ryzen 1600 ?

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'm dying to see the minimum framerates and general IPC performance. I haven't been this excited about a CPU in a really long time.

Also, the stock coolers are great, would go fantastically with a red/black case like the H440.

Small detail as it is, the stock cooler being...well, cool (ignore the pun) is a major plus over the Intel model.

Tony wrote: »

We don't know a huge amount about the motherboards that are going to show up, or what affect different ones will have on the (as yet unknown as well) overclockability of Ryzen, so difficult to say. I do however like ASUS's Hero board, simply because it has so many USB ports on the back.
    I'm dying to see the minimum framerates and general IPC performance. I haven't been this excited about a CPU in a really long time.

Also, the stock coolers are great, would go fantastically with a red/black case like the H440.

Small detail as it is, the stock cooler being...well, cool (ignore the pun) is a major plus over the Intel model.

Ditto. I mean I don't need eight cores, but I'm thinking I might do a Ryzen upgrade any just because everything Intel has become so damn boring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Tony wrote: »

Pick one you like the look of :)

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-am4-motherboard-round-up-msi-gigabyte-asrock-asus-x370/

Was just about to link that.

Looks like Asrock are offering better features at lower prices as usual. Think I'll be sticking with them but I'm not liking the look of some of the boards.

The Asus crosshair hero looks great but it's probably gonna be around €300 and the specs aren't even that great on it.

Yeah, think I saw $249 being thrown about for the Hero. It's a pity more companies aren't going for a plain aesthetic. They seem to all have figured out around the same time "Hey, we cant paint our PCBs different colours!", but I was always a fan of plain, matte black.

I'd also like to know how much those RGB heatsinks affect the BOM. Gimme plain old server heatsinks any day. Maybe spray them black if you really want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭game4it70

Prices are a little lower than I expected.

€380 for the 1700 is pretty damn good. If these things overclock anywhere near as high as the 1800x does then it could be the go to 8/16.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Amazon are matching OCUK with a price guarantee also.

Mindfactory.de and caseking.de are listing preorders about 20-40 euro cheaper than the UK counterparts.

The 1800x is €559 throught geizhals.de on mindfactory.

https://geizhals.de/?fs=Ryzen+cpu&in=

The 1700 with the wraith max cooler for only €359.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Looks like a good tableau muncher.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

The R5 series absolutely slaughters the i5's on paper. 4c/8t vs 4c/4t.

I have a 4670k OC'd to 4.6 Ghz and it's bottlenecking me loads in modern titles like BF1, Forza, The Witcher 3. Lots of those games are 100% across all 4 cores. Games are much multi-threaded these days so I think if you are still on an i5, it's a worthy upgrade, especially considering you can still make decent money selling your mobo, cpu and ram.

The R5 1700x 6C/12t looks like a beast for the price and is what I have my eye on. Not really feeling the motherboards so far, I'm hoping we see some x370 boards for about £120 SOON.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Lukker- wrote: »
    The R5 series absolutely slaughters the i5's on paper. 4c/8t vs 4c/4t.

I have a 4670k OC'd to 4.6 Ghz and it's bottlenecking me loads in modern titles like BF1, Forza, The Witcher 3. Lots of those games are 100% across all 4 cores. Games are much multi-threaded these days so I think if you are still on an i5, it's a worthy upgrade, especially considering you can still make decent money selling your mobo, cpu and ram.

The R5 1700x 6C/12t looks like a beast for the price and is what I have my eye on. Not really feeling the motherboards so far, I'm hoping we see some x370 boards for about £120 SOON.

Shouldn't that be Ryzen 5 1600X.

• Advertisement

I'm hoping we see some x370 boards for about £120 SOON.

Doubt it. It was on a slide somewhere that X370 boards would be selling for around $149+. B350 was for $79+, I think.

Doubt it. It was on a slide somewhere that X370 boards would be selling for around $149+. B350 was for $79+, I think.

£120 is $149

But the conversion rate for PC parts tends to be £1=$1 so ya...

Is overclocking only possible on x370 boards?

All except The low-end one... A320?

£120 is $149

But the conversion rate for PC parts tends to be £1=$1 so ya...

Is overclocking only possible on x370 boards?

No, the next board revision down can be overclocked. I think it is B350.

Here ya go:

ryzen_chipsets.jpg

I'm still on the fence atm. I am still pleased with my current setup but if I am upgrading I was set to get a X370 but tbh the B350 looks to be just as good.

Any reason to get the x370 over the b350 if you don't plan on SLI/Crossfire?

Other than tacked features like "gaming" lan ports etc

Any reason to get the x370 over the b350 if you don't plan on SLI/Crossfire?

Other than tacked features like "gaming" lan ports etc

No reason unless the B350 board is gimped by mobo manufacturer.

BloodBath wrote: »
    Prices are a little lower than I expected.

€380 for the 1700 is pretty damn good. If these things overclock anywhere near as high as the 1800x does then it could be the go to 8/16.

I'm going to guess they won't clock as high by running into a thermal limit, simply because they're sold as 65W TDP instead of the 1700x/1800x @ 95W TDP

Just a guess though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    No reason unless the B350 board is gimped by mobo manufacturer.

Gimped as in limiting features? Given that's what seperates the chipsets, I don't understand what you mean.

Advertisement