Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shostakovich jazz suite Waltz No. 2

Options
  • 22-07-2010 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭

I've searched the www hi & lo but cannot get my hands on this part of the suite...probably because it was made popular in the movie "eyes wide shut". I've searched the link in the sticky but to no avail. I don't need the full score. If possible in Cm but Dm would also do.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYhZVqODYsI

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Are you looking for the original score or an arrangement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Dirigent

IMHO DSCH was probably the most versatile composer of the 20th century. My favourite box set is the Barshai collection of his 15 symphonies, and last year's performance of the No. 7, 'Leningrad' in the Waterfront Hall up in Belfast with the Marinsky under Gergiev was a highlight of the year. His ability to write concertos for different instruments (his wonderful violin and cello concertos, his concerto for piano and trumpet) as well as his ability to write music like the various jazz suites and film scores marks him out as one of the most remarkable and memorable composers I've ever heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭'scorthy

I intend transcribing it for the accordion URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUpFx3SeUkI"]sample[/URL I don't need the full score just the this waltz section. I would appreciate it in any form to work with. Regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Dirigent wrote: »
    IMHO DSCH was probably the most versatile composer of the 20th century. My favourite box set is the Barshai collection of his 15 symphonies, and last year's performance of the No. 7, 'Leningrad' in the Waterfront Hall up in Belfast with the Marinsky under Gergiev was a highlight of the year. His ability to write concertos for different instruments (his wonderful violin and cello concertos, his concerto for piano and trumpet) as well as his ability to write music like the various jazz suites and film scores marks him out as one of the most remarkable and memorable composers I've ever heard.

...I agree, but don't see what that has to do with my post or with the thread...
    'scorthy wrote: »
    I intend transcribing it for the accordion URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUpFx3SeUkI"]sample[/URL I don't need the full score just the this waltz section. I would appreciate it in any form to work with. Regards.

Link.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭kawaii

Unfortunately, Shostakovich lived to old age so his music is not yet in the public domain. :P

Maybe have a look in some of the libraries in town, but you might have to buy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭'scorthy

...Libraries in town.. unfortunately ... I don't live in the big City. I depend on the benevolence of others for further development. 'The Mad Hatter' if 'Dirigent' wished to expand my knowledge and that of the boards I think it is a little cruel to castigate for divergence. Extrapolation is knowledge...IMHO

Right...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Dirigent

...I agree, but don't see what that has to do with my post or with the thread..

I see. A discussion on an Internet forum regarding a particular Classical musician can only focus on the OP, and any widening of the topic to the rest of the oeuvre is not allowed. I assume the Mad Hat has a peak.

Lol! Come now, he hardly castigated Dirigent! :P

And in fairness Dirigent's post does come off as impertinant and, frankly, a bit pretentious!

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Dirigent wrote: »
    I see. A discussion on an Internet forum regarding a particular Classical musician can only focus on the OP, and any widening of the topic to the rest of the oeuvre is not allowed. I assume the Mad Hat has a peak.

That's actually how it generally works. That way the OP gets the answer they were looking for. Maybe after wards, you could discuss related topics, but its considered rude to go off topic rather than directly engage with the original question. :)

Nobody is saying what you posted was wrong, just slightly misplaced. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Norrdeth

I think I saw this score in the discount €9.99
    section a while back in McCullough Piggot's
    I could look again this week, to see if it's still there.

Advertisement