Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Autumn 2019 - General Discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

very windy here over past hour, lots of leaves falling from trees being whipped around in the wind. Feeling very chilly too, more like late October or early November. Very different to this time yesterday when we had nice spells of sunshine and temperatures reaching 21c. Currently struggling to reach 13C. Much of the country at the moment has reports of only 12 or 13C.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭pauldry

Driving in the wind. Car nearly swerved to other side. Dangerous here in NW

Haven’t paid much attention to the weather lately but the drive home this evening was intense! Popped on to see what’s happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Very windy in Arklow also gusting above 50kmh
    Sunny though with just one or two fast passing showers
    Currently 15.6c
    High today of 17.5c

• Registered Users Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭pad199207

Windy and cool day today with a few squally showers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

We have had a max gust of 82 km/hr so far today in Castlebar, a lot twigs and couple branches down around the Mall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Could be a long winter after a decidedly average summer for most of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,096 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Could be a long winter after a decidedly average summer for most of us.

For once, I'll go even more pessimistic than you and say it was a worse than average summer. I was borderline, but after that August it's undeniable in the West.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

JCX BXC wrote: »
    For once, I'll go even more pessimistic than you and say it was a worse than average summer. I was borderline, but after that August it's undeniable in the West.

The west of Ireland, particularly the north-west certainly had a poorer than average summer. Ireland as a whole was the coldest country in Europe this summer. Most other European countries including most parts of the UK broke temperature records several times. Even Scotland managed to get into the high 20's a few times.

Ireland completely missed out on the heat, July wasn't too bad with some warmth but very few places here saw anything higher than 25C over the entire summer. The Atlantic never really lost it's grip in the far west, especially the north-west with cool temperatures and rain most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,096 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

It wasn't as bad as the miserable northwest, and I managed a temperature of around 29.2c here in West Clare, however that was quite localised and the weather surrounding this wasn't particularly great.

August was very wet, I recorded just over 200mm of rainfall, which is highly unusual for this area. Shockingly dull too, and I didn't wear shorts the entire month.

The summer was so-so up to August however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

Gorgeous evening !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

There were a few light passing showers today, otherwise fairly sunny but definitely an autumnal feel to the temperatures. More like late October than early September.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,690 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

cold in Dublin. Refuse to turn on the heat so it's blanket on the couch for me. On the 4th of September. FML.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

^^Have had the heating on every night for the past 10 days or so here!

Persistent drizzle finally cleared up in mid afternoon, to be replaced by showers and even the odd sight of the sun(!). Currently pouring rain however..

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

km79 wrote: »
    Gorgeous evening !

For five minutes
    Cold now too

at least 3 houses in my area have smoke rising from chimneys. We've ordered coal and sticks and will probably start back lighting fires next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,201 ✭✭✭tanko

Gonzo wrote: »
    at least 3 houses in my area have smoke rising from chimneys. We've ordered coal and sticks and will probably start back lighting fires next week.

Cool lately alrite, is next week looking reasonably dry?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,027 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Today was just a reminder that autumn is on its way but I'm convinced that we still have some nice summery weather to enjoy before the equinox at least and beyond if we are lucky.

ECM1-240.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭pauldry

Just nudge that high slightly south a bit. The South will get good weather but North and West cool and cloudy but mainly dry with just PATCHES of rain or drizzle (so in order words fcking wet)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭appledrop

cold in Dublin. Refuse to turn on the heat so it's blanket on the couch for me. On the 4th of September. FML.

I gave in + turned on heating for first time since June. Just couldn't get warm this evening. In fairness only needed an hour + house was lovely + toasty.

Very disappointing though only 4th Sep + heating had to go on. Is that it now? Very short summer this year with June so crap+ no sign of Indian summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

vladmydad wrote: »
    Oh that’s good to hear. I was over that in that part of the world for the Irish open in July, scorching it was. Yes apparently we might get what’s left of Dorian so be safe.

Blessings and thanks! Yes we tend to get a backlash.... I lived a decade on a very exposed and isolated North Sea island, so am used to it. Worst I lived through was three days of 124 MILES an hour gusts. Feeding my livestock hanging on to washing posts.

At last, blissful silence here. Was a howler yesterday.

Today is " shopping day" so always a weather watch. The ferry folk will decide ,and I see the pm forecast is not good... I do not go over so my groceries arrive by ferry.

But just now, sweet silence reigns. The weather dictates.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I have ordered turf out here and am plotting how to get some coal over,. Been gathering kindling all summer..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭appledrop

Sunny morning but don't let it deceive you! It cold out there only 10 degrees.

No wonder I needed the heating last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Beautiful morning,for a change, light winds ,sunshine. Lots of dew on the grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭OldRio

Although cold was beautifully sunny in Dublin on my way to work with little cloud but cloud starting to set in now. Are you in the west, or Mordor as it should be known at this stage?

Haha. Leitrim. Stunningly beautiful. Quiet and peaceful. But also wet. Very very wet.
    Fire lit last night. A chill in the air.
    A holiday to warmer climes is calling very loudly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Bit nippy last night so had to blast the Central heating for a few hours and light a roaring fire........

.....LOL. Just kidding.

Closed the attic bedroom Velux overnight and didn't need to use the bedside fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

No fires lit or heating on here yet, just dont feel its cold enough, lovely morning in meath, clear and sunny with a strong breeze

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

It's still too warm to even think about turning on the heating. Unless we get an really cold snap I won't have the heating on until November.

I may have to get it serviced since it hasn't had a proper run since April.

decent morning here in Meath, fairly sunny and certainly feels warmer than yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭highdef

Heating is switched on 365 days a year. House is divided into zones and upstairs rads have individual stats. If temperature falls below a predetermined threshold in any zone, that zone calls for hear from the boiler.

None of this "ooooh, it's a bit chilly in the house today but it hasn't reached October yet so I'm leaving the heating off because I rather have a cold house in September than have the heating system making the house warm and cosy".

It's always the same comfortable temperature in my house, except upstairs during warmer spells in summer however in going to invest in air conditions for the upstairs bedrooms next year.

Advertisement