Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-07-2019, 21:35   #661
arctictree

New website is awful on a mobile. I can't zoom out on the radar. What was actually wrong with the old one?
Advertisement
10-07-2019, 21:39   #662
pad199207

Is this a permanent move to the new site?
10-07-2019, 21:39   #663
ZX7R

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictree View Post
New website is awful on a mobile. I can't zoom out on the radar. What was actually wrong with the old one?
Yes you can zoom out ,all be it only as far as the radar's cover
10-07-2019, 22:17   #664
Joe Public

I was trying to find a reason for the website change and this is all I dug up https://www.met.ie/met-eireann-launc...-on-18th-april

The Met Eireann director said

“Met Éireann intends this Website to play an important educational role in informing the public on climate issues. We plan to further develop this digital platform over the coming years to play our part in engaging and educating young people, in particular, on STEM related issues"

They could have left things the way they were rather than dumbing it down. To facilitate STEM they have probably take a backwards step to begin with. The newer App could have designed to use the information that was already there on the original website.
What does he mean by "digital platform"? are they trying to link in social media, ads and all that sh1te? It's akin to bringing politics into sport, they don't mix very well.
Thanks from:
10-07-2019, 22:36   #665
arctictree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Public View Post
I was trying to find a reason for the website change and this is all I dug up https://www.met.ie/met-eireann-launc...-on-18th-april

The Met Eireann director said

“Met Éireann intends this Website to play an important educational role in informing the public on climate issues. We plan to further develop this digital platform over the coming years to play our part in engaging and educating young people, in particular, on STEM related issues"

They could have left things the way they were rather than dumbing it down. To facilitate STEM they have probably take a backwards step to begin with. The newer App could have designed to use the information that was already there on the original website.
What does he mean by "digital platform"? are they trying to link in social media, ads and all that sh1te? It's akin to bringing politics into sport, they don't mix very well.
You can be sure that any digital consultant they hired didn't advise them that their site was actually fine the way it was!
Advertisement
10-07-2019, 22:41   #666
JCX BXC

Other than looking a little dated, the old site was perfect.

The new site, while modern looking, has still many functionality issues, especially on the app. Loading times are much slower, location doesn't load upon opening (you need to go into something else on the app and then return to the home screen for it to load). There's no option to look at other province's forecasts on the app, you need to manually set your location as different places in different proviences in order to see each forecast.

While the worst of the issues have been sorted and both app and website are very usable, it is an unsatisfactory replacement.
10-07-2019, 22:57   #667
Joe Public

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCX BXC View Post

While the worst of the issues have been sorted and both app and website are very usable, it is an unsatisfactory replacement.

And note the launch date was 18th April 2018

Is there still some contractor getting paid to debug it?
Thanks from:
11-07-2019, 01:20   #668
Auld Jim Halpin

Old site on IOS but not with Safari browser works still . . . .
11-07-2019, 08:14   #669
HeidiHeidi

Last September I queried (complained about) the new website/app, and asked why they changed and was the new app the final product?

This is the reply I got at the time (meant to post it then, but forgot), I wasn't a lot the wiser at the time, and I'm seriously disappointed that the new app is still the same mess as it was then.

Quote:
Im very sorry to hear you are not happy with the new website navigation and particularly the radar display. True the old 3 hour, short range and 5 day forecast links are gone, but we have combined all this and the radar into the one Weather Map on www.met.ie homepage. In fact we have combined all our most popular products onto the homepage, so users no longer have to find them on a variety of other pages as you did on the old site. We are now working on uploading a page with long range radar (with a longer interval), I hope this can be released in the next month. You may prefer the visual presentation it offers. This will be available in our Latest Reports menu.
A lot of your queries below are answered in the Website and App help page which has been on the website since last summer https://www.met.ie/about-us/help-page
Im not sure why you cannot access the rainfall radar on the app. When you open it, the blue pin centres on your location, showing the most recent rainfall image from the radar. Tap this and it goes into the map screen where Rainfall Radar loop is the default view, with the square map options to the right.
Im afraid the archive site will be closing within the next few months. All our products-and more- are on the new site. I really hope you can take some time to go through the help page above and maybe play the video there, which shows how to access the main features. If you still have any other queries, please let me know.
The old site was written in a programming language that is no longer in use. A lot of our products are being updated by manufacturers etc, so we realised a few years ago we had to develop a new platform in collaboration with our web developers. We also needed a new platform using new programming language, to upload new weather forecast and climate products for the public.
Again, I am extremely sorry for both the extremely late response from us and for the difficulties in accessing the products you need.
Best regards,

Advertisement
11-07-2019, 08:52   #670
Donegal Storm

The old website was badly in need of an upgrade to be fair, it wasn't optimised for mobile (which makes up a huge percentage of internet usage these days) and the functionality was really limited compared to most other modern weather websites.

I was prepared to give the new site a pass when it was first released, it was a big step up on mobile and has some nice new features but I assumed it was a v1 product that'd be incrementally improved based on feedback.

Instead they've changed basically nothing for all the feedback and despite some ridiculous design features (why do I have to scroll down past Dublin Airports current weather when checking hourly reports?!). The homepage is also hideous on mobile with the header taking up half the page, the half zoomed osm radar, the huge block of text explaining what the radar does etc.

It still could be a decent website if they built on feedback but presumably the contractor were just paid a lump sum to build it and we're now stuck with it for the next decade.
(3) thanks from:
11-07-2019, 09:59   #671
Comhra

I still find the Android ME app nothing short of vexatious to use.

there is no simple straightforward rain radar map of the island of Ireland.

The first radar display automatically zooms into Munster (my location) and from there I have to click 'Maps - recent rainfall' which brings me to a another map of Ireland which is partly obscured by a column of silly cartoon-like symbols down the right side of the screen.

I then have to pinch the screen to reduce the map to a size where I can see the entire map of Ireland. Maybe one day they'll get it right.

Last edited by Comhra; 11-07-2019 at 10:18.
(2) thanks from:
11-07-2019, 10:18   #672
Comhra

Ironically, the best ME radar display is the one they use for Twitter but it doesn't seem to be offered to the public, sadly.

11-07-2019, 15:17   #673
mickger844posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comhra View Post
Ironically, the best ME radar display is the one they use for Twitter but it doesn't seem to be offered to the public, sadly.

Have to agree. This radar is the best Met Eireann have but they don’t provide public access to it. Hopefully feedback from this forum can be taken on board and we can finally gain access to these maps.
11-07-2019, 23:48   #674
Harry Palmr

Anyone notice the forecast for next Tuesday? They were predicting a complete washout - an inch in day sort of level this afternoon, this evening it's downgraded to showers and 8-9mm. A big change for just the one extra run.
12-07-2019, 00:24   #675
piuswal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donegal Storm View Post
The old website was badly in need of an upgrade to be fair, it wasn't optimised for mobile (which makes up a huge percentage of internet usage these days) and the functionality was really limited compared to most other modern weather websites.

I was prepared to give the new site a pass when it was first released, it was a big step up on mobile and has some nice new features but I assumed it was a v1 product that'd be incrementally improved based on feedback.

Instead they've changed basically nothing for all the feedback and despite some ridiculous design features (why do I have to scroll down past Dublin Airports current weather when checking hourly reports?!). The homepage is also hideous on mobile with the header taking up half the page, the half zoomed osm radar, the huge block of text explaining what the radar does etc.

It still could be a decent website if they built on feedback but presumably the contractor were just paid a lump sum to build it and we're now stuck with it for the next decade.
Built by Fusio
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion