Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-09-2019, 18:19   #586
leck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMc59 View Post
I've recently had a DNA test using the ancestry co.uk test.It has identified I have 48%Irish/Scottish ethnicity,I'm under the impression this is usual as there is little difference between Ireland and Scotland as they have invaded each other over the centuries.Is this correct?I was unsure as my paternal line was from the Raphoe area of Donegal (Ulster plantation,possibly Scottish?)but I also have Irish ancestry,I have no Scottish history in my family tree as far back as I can trace (circa 1806)I wondered if anyone could give me any pointers on narrowing this down?
If you are at all interested in genealogy, work on your cousin matches. Ignore the ethnicity report, it's really not going to be a lot of help.
Advertisement
15-09-2019, 19:13   #587
RobMc59

Quote:
Originally Posted by leck View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMc59 View Post
I've recently had a DNA test using the ancestry co.uk test.It has identified I have 48%Irish/Scottish ethnicity,I'm under the impression this is usual as there is little difference between Ireland and Scotland as they have invaded each other over the centuries.Is this correct?I was unsure as my paternal line was from the Raphoe area of Donegal (Ulster plantation,possibly Scottish?)but I also have Irish ancestry,I have no Scottish history in my family tree as far back as I can trace (circa 1806)I wondered if anyone could give me any pointers on narrowing this down?
If you are at all interested in genealogy, work on your cousin matches. Ignore the ethnicity report, it's really not going to be a lot of help.
Should I try and read up on this,as I'm not sure what the significance of cousin matches is?-I've had a brief look through these on ancestry and have spoken to my nearest cousin by message,(he is my 3rd cousin)-any advice would be very welcome.
15-09-2019, 19:26   #588
pinkypinky

Cousin matches are the best bit!

Some excellent videos on the Genetic Genealogy Ireland (both for beginners and more advanced)Youtube channel. Obviously focus on the autosomal stuff.

Upload a gedcom of at least your direct ancestors to Ancestry so your matches can see it - this way you can quickly see if there's an obvious match.
(3) thanks from:
11-11-2019, 13:20   #589
wellboss

Best site to use

Hello,

Sorry if this has been asked recently but I cannot seem to find the information. I am hoping to do the DNA testing soon and am unsure which site to use. Ancestry or Family Tree or another maybe? . Which has the largest database for Ireland at present.

At present I am trying to do two things.

1)

I am trying to trace links to a family in Mayo, where I am from myself and the line runs dry in the mid 1850 on paper but I am pretty sure I have identified a brother or cousin of my great great grandfathers. I have contact with 2 female members of this branch and they are also looking to do the testing. I am hoping to find the link genetically.

Would autosomal testing be best for this. I could potentially have a male member of that line test also.

2)

My overall objective is also to try and get as many people with my family name in the region to do the paternal Y-DNA testing and see can we find a common ancestor. It's a very rare name (Reape) and is only commonly found in North mayo and North Sligo regions.

I am not sure Which test I should do or would I need to do two tests, the Y-DNA and autosomal.

Any guidance would be great, I am slowing learning about the DNA testing so apologies if the above doesn't make sense.

Thanks in advance
11-11-2019, 14:03   #590
A New earth

I have done autosomal tests with Ancestry and 23andme and uploaded the DNA to Family Tree, MyHeritage and Gedmatch.

I find Ancestry by far the best for getting matches, they have the biggest database and the DNA is usually linked into Family Trees which is handy (you would have to subscribe though if you wanted to look at the trees in detail but I think they have a 14 day free trial period)

What they don't have though (unlike all the others) is a breakdown of the DNA to show the segments you match on but you could find this by uploading for free to gedmatch (of course your match would need to do that too)

They say MyHeritage has more Irish people on it but I'm not convinced.

I also did Y DNA with Family Tree but not good for finding matches.

All the sites have either sales at the moment or coming up for black Friday, thanksgiving etc.

You can't upload your DNA that you have tested with another firm to Ancestry (or to 23andme) but you can to the others although some of them charge a fee for getting full information on the matches
Advertisement
11-11-2019, 15:23   #591
Ipso

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellboss View Post
Hello,

Sorry if this has been asked recently but I cannot seem to find the information. I am hoping to do the DNA testing soon and am unsure which site to use. Ancestry or Family Tree or another maybe? . Which has the largest database for Ireland at present.

At present I am trying to do two things.

1)

I am trying to trace links to a family in Mayo, where I am from myself and the line runs dry in the mid 1850 on paper but I am pretty sure I have identified a brother or cousin of my great great grandfathers. I have contact with 2 female members of this branch and they are also looking to do the testing. I am hoping to find the link genetically.

Would autosomal testing be best for this. I could potentially have a male member of that line test also.

2)

My overall objective is also to try and get as many people with my family name in the region to do the paternal Y-DNA testing and see can we find a common ancestor. It's a very rare name (Reape) and is only commonly found in North mayo and North Sligo regions.

I am not sure Which test I should do or would I need to do two tests, the Y-DNA and autosomal.

Any guidance would be great, I am slowing learning about the DNA testing so apologies if the above doesn't make sense.

Thanks in advance
A Y-DNA test is the best one for confirming your male line. Most Irish males get a lot of matches but if you have a rare surname the problem is that leaves less people to test and it increases the chances of the male line dying or daughtering out.
Thanks from:
11-11-2019, 15:29   #592
srmf5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipso View Post
A Y-DNA test is the best one for confirming your male line. Most Irish males get a lot of matches but if you have a rare surname the problem is that leaves less people to test and it increases the chances of the male line dying or daughtering out.
I agree. Irish people generally get a good number of matches but it can vary. Some can be luckier than others. In my dad's case, he has 126 Y-37 matches, 51 Y-67 matches, 21 Y-111 matches, and 38 Big Y matches. He has two matches that he appears to have a common ancestor back around the 1700s (still unconfirmed).
11-11-2019, 15:59   #593
Ipso

I have only 5 matches, the joys of not being part of the R1b brigade.
11-11-2019, 16:07   #594
pinkypinky

There is no data on which database has the most Irish people in it but Ancestry has the biggest database by far.

Autosomal for no1.

Y-DNA is definitely the way to go if you have a hypothesis like yours and candidates to test. However, it will only tell you that are related and won't identify how recently.
Advertisement
11-11-2019, 16:50   #595
wellboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkypinky View Post
There is no data on which database has the most Irish people in it but Ancestry has the biggest database by far.

Autosomal for no1.

Y-DNA is definitely the way to go if you have a hypothesis like yours and candidates to test. However, it will only tell you that are related and won't identify how recently.
Thanks for that, I have seen people on here talk about cousins 4 and 5 times removed via DNA testing, could we not extrapolate where the common ancestor may be from that ie 3 x great grandfather
11-11-2019, 17:59   #596
paddysdream

Hi all

Quick question for those that understand more re. DNA than I do.

Have a match on Ancestry of 46cM across one segment with a person.Its only on one chromosome (same with all shared matches with that person)
Thats more than with a good few known 3rd/4th cousins.Also have 60 plus shared matches with this person.Most are showing as sharing 20 to 40 cM with me.
Two problems.
Have gone through the shared match list one by one ,looking at shared matches and who they match with .Not one match with any known(to me) relative.It seems to be a closed loop.
Second problem is that many have tree's attached to their test and looking at them they seem to indicate family in USA long pre 1800 and no real Irish connection although many trees contain a similar surname to my own.

These matches are on my fathers side as no match to my mothers DNA test.
Any ideas?

Last edited by paddysdream; 11-11-2019 at 20:31.
11-11-2019, 19:54   #597
pinkypinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellboss View Post
Thanks for that, I have seen people on here talk about cousins 4 and 5 times removed via DNA testing, could we not extrapolate where the common ancestor may be from that ie 3 x great grandfather
The problem with Y-DNA is that it changes very slowly so even a genetic distance of 0 at Y-37 means a match in the last 500 years. See here for more detail:

https://learn.familytreedna.com/y-dn...s-interpreted/

If you test the people for Y AND autosomal, you might get more out of it.

I suggest you read a book like the recently published Tracing your Ancestors using DNA.
Thanks from:
11-11-2019, 20:37   #598
srmf5

Testing autosomal DNA is the best test to buy starting off since it covers every line. It is also much cheaper than Y-DNA testing. I have tested with AncestryDNA, FTDNA, MyHeritage, and Living DNA. Out of these, I have the most confirmed matches on AncestryDNA. It would then be folowed by MyHeritage, followed by FTDNA and I only match my parents on FTDNA but both parents have an extra match.
11-11-2019, 20:51   #599
pinkypinky

But it is definitely the time of year to get the best price on a Y test - Black Friday is imminent.
Thanks from:
12-11-2019, 08:17   #600
RobMc59

Having recently had an ancestry.co.uk DNA test I was slightly confused to receive a revised profile fairly quickly which changed my DNA makeup quite significantly.
As a total novice to the interpretation of DNA,could anyone give me any pointers on how to find out about 'DNA marks'.I saw this on a tv programme which traced people's ancestry,the programme was sponsored by 'ancestry'?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion