Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

19-08-2019, 21:52   #1636
New Home

For the first time in years, today I saw a small herd of cattle with their horns fully grown. It made me happy, even though I don't know what will happen to them, but at least the pain of having their horns burnt when they were calves was spared to them. I'm not sure if I'm making any sense...
Thanks from:
Advertisement
21-08-2019, 02:01   #1637
gozunda

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Home View Post
For the first time in years, today I saw a small herd of cattle with their horns fully grown. It made me happy, even though I don't know what will happen to them, but at least the pain of having their horns burnt when they were calves was spared to them. I'm not sure if I'm making any sense...
I get what you're saying new home - however one of the principle reasons for stopping horns growing is welfare - to prevent cattle hurting each other when they are fully grown ie when they puck and play fight between themselves etc. It is also required under current legislation.

Quote:
Disbudding of calves is carried out to comply with Regulations under the Diseases of Animals Act, (1966) which prohibits the sale or export of horned animals. Disbudding procedures must be carried out in compliance with the Protection of Animals (Amendment) Act (1965). Currently the legislation concerning dehorning of cattle requires that once calves are over two weeks of age disbudding may only be performed using with local anaesthesia. It is illegal to disbud a calf over two weeks old without using a local anaesthetic.
Like the spraying and neutering of pets - when the procedure is done correctly ime it should not cause the animal any significant stress or other problems. I do agree with you though - there's something nice about seeing cattle with a nice set of horns

Last edited by gozunda; 21-08-2019 at 02:05.
28-08-2019, 20:17   #1638
Unearthly

After the UK trial, KFC are now doing a trial in US with 'Beyond Fried Chicken'

Sold out in 5 hours!

There is a picture online of a big queue waiting to get it
Thanks from:
05-09-2019, 21:39   #1639
New Home

My local Tesco had Quorn "Steak and Gravy" pies on special offer this evening - a box of 2 for 77c!!! They have too much black pepper for my taste (I don't like black pepper at all), but they're pretty tasty.
Thanks from:
10-09-2019, 19:09   #1640
Tilikum17

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc...shire-49637723
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
14-09-2019, 19:26   #1641
Tilikum17

A farmer on this forum thinking 100million pigs dying is a god’s send to them.

None of them correct him.

And they want people to feel sorry for them?
Attached Images
File Type: png 2A8738E2-9041-41D7-BA8E-3ECE51B3FF4E.png (108.2 KB, 26 views)
(3) thanks from:
14-09-2019, 21:24   #1642
Lady Haywire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilikum17 View Post

If you felt so strongly about it why didn't you correct him instead of screenshotting it & coming over to the V&V forum to show off your outrage.
It's a persons opinion, not the opinion of every single farmer in the world. And just like you or I are allowed opinions & freedom of speech, they are too.
Thanks from:
15-09-2019, 07:34   #1643
Tilikum17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Haywire View Post
If you felt so strongly about it why didn't you correct him instead of screenshotting it & coming over to the V&V forum to show off your outrage.
It's a persons opinion, not the opinion of every single farmer in the world. And just like you or I are allowed opinions & freedom of speech, they are too.
I can just imagine the replies I would have received if I did.

Last edited by Tilikum17; 15-09-2019 at 11:57.
16-09-2019, 07:55   #1644
gozunda

Quote:
I can just imagine the replies I would have received if I did.
Why ever not? It's a well moderated forum - pretty much like here. Genuinely such concerns dont seem to have stopped you previously

Link

And more

Last edited by gozunda; 16-09-2019 at 08:25.
Advertisement
16-09-2019, 12:00   #1645
loveisdivine

Quote:

It's because all these animals mean to farmers is money. They might as well have a euro sign stamped on their backs. It's the primary motivation. It's not about the basic rights of other living beings, it's just business.

I'm sure someone will be along to counteract me any moment now, as it seems this forum is no longer a place for vegans/veggies to talk amongst themselves, it's a place where are views and thoughts are constantly set upon by farmers and meat eaters.
(3) thanks from:
16-09-2019, 12:09   #1646
klopparama

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveisdivine View Post
It's because all these animals mean to farmers is money. They might as well have a euro sign stamped on their backs. It's the primary motivation. It's not about the basic rights of other living beings, it's just business.

I'm sure someone will be along to counteract me any moment now, as it seems this forum is no longer a place for vegans/veggies to talk amongst themselves, it's a place where are views and thoughts are constantly set upon by farmers and meat eaters.
Indeed.

I’ve noticed a big difference in the moderation of the farming forum and this one.

Farming forum has very strict moderation. Non farmer contributions are unwelcome and harshly treated and accused of trolling or just plain unwelcome. I’ve seen threads closed almost immediately.

Farmers seem to have more of a free reign here without their views been seen as trolling. Definitely feels like double standards.
16-09-2019, 12:19   #1647
gozunda

Quote:
It's because all these animals mean to farmers is money. They might as well have a euro sign stamped on their backs. It's the primary motivation. It's not about the basic rights of other living beings, it's just business. I'm sure someone will be along to counteract me any moment now, as it seems this forum is no longer a place for vegans/veggies to talk amongst themselves, it's a place where are views and thoughts are constantly set upon by farmers and meat eaters.
Not so. Animal welfare and care is a huge part of farming, especially in Ireland - where have legislation and regulations which cover a lot more than just 'basic rights'. Farmers care for their animals not just because they have to - but because it's the right thing to do. Where there are exceptions - then that needs to be dealt with and not used to beat everyone up.

However if farming is being referred to and as a previous poster pointed out - all are tarred with the same brush - pretty much as in your comment - then of course others are going to reply. Boards is a discussion forum and not an echo chamber as far as I'm aware.

Tbh it would be fair to say if maintaining courtesy, respect, and exercising tolerance of opposing views is difficult, then discussion on public forum could definitely be difficult. But hey there we go.

Edited - forgot to include above.

Last edited by gozunda; 16-09-2019 at 14:31.
16-09-2019, 13:54   #1648
Lady Haywire

Quote:
Originally Posted by klopparama View Post
Indeed.

I’ve noticed a big difference in the moderation of the farming forum and this one.

Farming forum has very strict moderation. Non farmer contributions are unwelcome and harshly treated and accused of trolling or just plain unwelcome. I’ve seen threads closed almost immediately.

Farmers seem to have more of a free reign here without their views been seen as trolling. Definitely feels like double standards.
In the past you have called farmers welfare scroungers, a bunch of f**king babies & f**king losers. I don't think posts like that are tolerated pretty much anywhere.
Thanks from:
16-09-2019, 13:57   #1649
loveisdivine

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozunda View Post
Not so. However if farming is being referred to and as a previous poster pointed out - all are tarred with the same brush - pretty much as in your comment - then of course others are going to reply. Boards is a discussion forum and not an echo chamber as far as I'm aware.

Tbh it would be fair to say if maintaining courtesy, respect, and exercising tolerance of opposing views is difficult, then discussion on public forum could definitely be difficult. But hey there we go.
It's not that I'm looking for an echo chamber, I just genuinely feeling like discussing topics on this forum with other vegans has become impossible. Either yourself or someone else always turns it into a big debate and honestly it's just exhausting. It makes me not want to post any interesting talking points because I already know who's going to respond and frankly it stifles genuine conversation between vegans and veggies.
16-09-2019, 14:07   #1650
gozunda

Quote:
It's not that I'm looking for an echo chamber, I just genuinely feeling like discussing topics on this forum with other vegans has become impossible. Either yourself or someone else always turns it into a big debate and honestly it's just exhausting. It makes me not want to post any interesting talking points because I already know who's going to respond and frankly it stifles genuine conversation between vegans and veggies.
Where you deliberatly denigrate an entire group of people or where there is evident misinformation about farming and you want that others should not be able to comment on that? That is indeed the very epitomey of an echo chamber.

There are plenty of good threads here which do not resort to such ****e - but where they do - you can expect others to comment.

Last edited by gozunda; 16-09-2019 at 14:32.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion