Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What do you make of these goings on

• 20-02-2019 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

So I’ve been looking after a relatives home lately, house is very old to give a context. I stay on occasion to mind house and some things have startled me

1. One weekend came to check on house, found bird sitting in window of one of rooms, door and window were locked, had checked it few days previously nothing there, cannot figure how it got in.

2. Swear have heard faint doorbell ringing when upstairs, came down, nobody there

3. Electrical problems, appliances not working then few days later i try and appliance works, recently a bulb exploded and covered room in glass when i was in next room, nearly jumped out of my skin

4. When i stay upstairs at night, I hear noises in house, bangs lots of creaks etc this could be from next door I don’t know and could just be because hoise is old and creaky

Finally I had an incident in this house years ago, one afternoon there was loud banging on ceiling above, like really loud, like someone was banging down to get attention it scared me as nobody was in room above, told relative who brushed it off and said it was coming from something they were watching on telly in a room on same level as mine, it definitely wasn’t as this was from above, I actually didn’t stay in house for long time after that but as an adult I thought all that was nonsense however the stuff i mention above has me a bit uneasy again

Any thoughts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

tonybtonyb wrote: »
    So I’ve been looking after a relatives home lately, house is very old to give a context. I stay on occasion to mind house and some things have startled me

1. One weekend came to check on house, found bird sitting in window of one of rooms, door and window were locked, had checked it few days previously nothing there, cannot figure how it got in.

2. Swear have heard faint doorbell ringing when upstairs, came down, nobody there

3. Electrical problems, appliances not working then few days later i try and appliance works, recently a bulb exploded and covered room in glass when i was in next room, nearly jumped out of my skin

4. When i stay upstairs at night, I hear noises in house, bangs lots of creaks etc this could be from next door I don’t know and could just be because hoise is old and creaky

Finally I had an incident in this house years ago, as a young girl, one afternoon there was loud banging on ceiling above, like really loud, like someone was banging down to get attention it scared me as nobody was in room above, told relative who brushed it off and said it was coming from something they were watching on telly in a room on same level as mine, it definitely wasn’t, I actually didn’t stay in house for long time after that but as an adult I thought all that was nonsense however the stuff i mention above has me a bit uneasy again

Any thoughts

No idea but No sleep for me tonight :p

• Registered Users Posts: 32,974 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

All these are fairly common and easily explained.

The only one in any doubt would be your final statement, but your mind, hearing etc often plays tricks on you. Heating systems can cause loud banging noises at times.

Nothing paranormal here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 tonybtonyb

NIMAN wrote: »
    All these are fairly common and easily explained.

The only one in any doubt would be your final statement, but your mind, hearing etc often plays tricks on you. Heating systems can cause loud banging noises at times.

Nothing paranormal here.

I do tend to agree with you however I am uneasy there and the bird thing freaked me a bit, there are no holes in walls etc for it to get in, I checked the room all clear and locked it with my key then i come back and a bird perched inside the window..odd

My last statement definitely happened, My relative just brushed it off to try to assure me but I know she heard it too, think a hammer or lots of feet banging on a ceiling it’s stayed with me all these years and as I said as an adult thought it was nonsense I laughed to myself and others about it but I’ve been spending a lot more time here again after years and the odd goings on got me thinking again

• Registered Users Posts: 32,974 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Chimney?

Another window somewhere else?

NIMAN wrote: »
    Chimney?

No chimney in the room but I am thinking a rational explanation just can’t find it yet, if it happened a few times I would think there must be a hole somewhere but was only the once, asked my relative had any birds got in before and she said no....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

This house is telling you something, and tried to years ago, the bird part is the key, the bird was trapped deliberately by the house and its upset dead long term tenants, was this bird a wren by any chance? Wrens are close to the dead, don't fear though as this house is not a threat to you, but it wants you to know what happened, the bulb breaking was it getting your attention as startling as it was it worked. I think you will find something above the ceiling in the ground floor, look for some cracks in the ceiling where the bird was and see do they point towards the area above the window where the bird was . Was the bird in the same room as the broken bulb?

Macdarack wrote: »
    This house is telling you something, and tried to years ago, the bird part is the key, the bird was trapped deliberately by the house and its upset dead long term tenants, was this bird a wren by any chance? Wrens are close to the dead, don't fear though as this house is not a threat to you, but it wants you to know what happened, the bulb breaking was it getting your attention as startling as it was it worked. I think you will find something above the ceiling in the ground floor, look for some cracks in the ceiling where the bird was and see do they point towards the area above the window where the bird was . Was the bird in the same room as the broken bulb?

Ok this is strange, there are hairline cracks in ceiling above the window where bird was, It was a small bird I can’t say for definite if it was a wren, the bulb smashing was in a different room

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

tonybtonyb wrote: »
    Ok this is strange, there are hairline cracks in ceiling above the window where bird was, It was a small bird I can’t say for definite if it was a wren, the bulb smashing was in a different room

A tiny bird with a spiking upward tail, a warrie little guy, embrace this house and don't be scared, spend more time in that room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Just burn it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Seems like you could have issues with your electrics, sometimes too much power, sometimes it's too weak. I had a bulb smash like that myself, it happens.

Can't explain the bird though.

• Advertisement

Macdarack wrote: »

Can I ask out of curiosity why do you mention cracks in the ceiling what do think significance is of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,242 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Someone locked the bird in the house when they were leaving
    Really nothing in what you said that could not be easily explained

Got spookier stories than that

Advertisement