Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Bullsh*t, most of the Irish population despise travellers,but if you speak out you will be labeled a racist by the PC brigade like yourself.

And yet... Michael D is on course to get more than two-thirds of the vote. Most people's views on Travellers are a lot more nuanced than simply 'despising' them. I'm sure, beyond your tedious hot air, even you don't genuinely despise them. I mean, are you glad that so many of them are taking their own lives?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

The ‘ethnic minority’ status will make matters ten fold worse for the general public and travellers themselves. It basically granted them an official licence to continue as they have been carrying on, thieving, pilfering, antisocial layabout scum. They will never accept that they have to change their ways now. It was the worst possible decision that could happen for everyone concerned.
    Mod note: BANNED

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

And yet... Michael D is on course to get more than two-thirds of the vote. Most people's views on Travellers are a lot more nuanced than simply 'despising' them. I'm sure, beyond your tedious hot air, even you don't genuinely despise them. I mean, are you glad that so many of them are taking their own lives?

I despise them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Was wondering who i was going to vote for now i know

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I wouldn't disagree with him or many of the point he made on them.

Still won't get a vote as I don't like the current trend of Mr Monopoly becomes president.

• Advertisement

I despise them.

Are you glad that so many of them are killing themselves?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

I doubt he'll lose much, if any, of his existing support (such as it is). Judging by his general conduct throughout the campaign so far, he's guaranteed the pig-ignorant shit vote anyway. Such people might be over-represented on AH, but they represent only a tiny proportion of the electorate.

Michael D, on the other hand, encapsulates the inherent decency of the majority of Irish people.

https://twitter.com/MichaelDHiggins/status/1052465865289912320

It's so pathetic to look to blame society for the high suicide rate instead of looking at the depravity of the community itself as being responsible. However well-intentioned Michael D is, he's just silly and hopelessly out of touch, becoming president out of sheer luck that presidential voting apathy is at an all time high!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

In light of Mr. Casey's recent somewhat controversial remarks, do you think he is unfit to be President and should therefore withdraw his name from the upcoming election?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/presidential-election-2018/listen-presidential-candidate-peter-casey-sparks-outrage-with-his-racist-remarks-on-travellers-37428508.html

Sure people of all races, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity are killing themselves every day. Suicide is tragic no matter who the person is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Juanito13

No

• Advertisement

sorry didn't realise there was another thread on this. please merge, delete.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Cartrader

I’m thinking of voting for him now.

His comments were accurate, but it won't put a dent on the Higgins juggernaut.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

Why are so many of them killing themselves? Is it because of their wholly dysfunctional behaviour in every single aspect of how to behave and lead a healthy fruitful lifestyle?

If so, who’s fault is that then?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Everything he said is true, make him president.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,440 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

He will get so few votes does it really matter if he is in or out ??

• Registered Users Posts: 27,317 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Sad to see how low the great institution of Dragon’s Den is being dragged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

It's so pathetic to look to blame society for the high suicide rate instead of looking at the depravity of the community itself as being responsible.

I don't know if it's that simple. But I'd have to say if pushed I'd agree with you more than with the theory it's all society's fault. They are not doing themselves any favours with their culture and lifestyle.

personally i think he has simply said what a lot of folk are thinking but will not say because they are afraid of being perceived as racist or worse still non-PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Seems to be a misunderstanding between the terms Race and Ethnicity from both the candidate and the spokesman of Pavee Point.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement

Sure people of all races, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity are killing themselves every day. Suicide is tragic no matter who the person is.

A vastly higher percentage of male Travellers are killing themselves. If you genuinely despised all Travellers, then surely you'd be glad that they're 'keeping the numbers down'. But no, even your views are more nuanced than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

We are all born with same abilities, I don't believe there should be special privileges for some of us, such as free houses with stables, If we want that, we should work and pay for these things ourselves,

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

sightband wrote: »
    Why are so many of them killing themselves? Is it because of their wholly dysfunctional behaviour in every single aspect of how to behave and lead a healthy fruitful lifestyle?

If so, who’s fault is that then?

It's ok, they have a new label now which will solve everything, and PC Ireland can clap itself on the back for a job well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

He'll lose his deposit anyway, fools and their money.

What did he say by the way? I'm not following, terrible bunch of candidates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

His dog whistle worked anyway

A vastly higher percentage of male Travellers are killing themselves. If you genuinely despised all Travellers, then surely you'd be glad that they're 'keeping the numbers down'. But no, even your views are more nuanced than that.

Keep fishing there with your strawman argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭LeBash

I may be mistaken but I'm fairly sure I heard Travelers DNA test proved they were Irish and the only difference is they have had a very tight gene pool for centuries. If that's correct, they are regular Irish people with a bit of a weird life choice imo.

personally i would vote for him now, (that's if i actually can muster the energy to vote)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Where do they travel too?

• Advertisement

Keep fishing there with your strawman argument.

Does the death by suicide of a disproportionately large number of Travellers make you glad, sad or indifferent?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement