Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Helmets - required certification?

• 10-10-2018 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I am looking to buy a helmet. The ones in Irish shops are a bit steeply priced, and there are some options from Germany, etc.

But what kind of certification must a helmet have so that it can be work at an Irish equestrian centre and be ok with insurance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

I don't know about individual equestrian centers or insurers, but most riding organisations follow the FEI guidelines. The Irish Pony Club hat standards are at https://www.irishponyclub.ie/images/pdf/2018/tacksheets/ipcapprovedhatstandards-2018.pdf, and as far as I can see Eventing Ireland and SJI are the same. The gotcha here is that the EU harmonised standard EN1384 was withdrawn by the EU commission and is no longer accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭MichaelR

I called the riding school, the man said PAS 015 2011. Seems like I'm out of luck as German manufacturers don't seem to bother with this one as far as I could find...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭granturismo

MichaelR wrote: »
    I called the riding school, the man said PAS 015 2011. Seems like I'm out of luck as German manufacturers don't seem to bother with this one as far as I could find...

Are you looking at these online - I suggest you buy in a shop or at least try on in a shop and then buy whatever fits you online. Some shops understandably dont take kindly to the latter approach but you may find there isnt much difference between the shop price and getting the PAS hat shipped. The hat is one piece of equipment you need to fit perfectly.

Advertisement