Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Donald Trump is the President Mark IV (Read Mod Warning in OP)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

When I saw it I genuinely got the impression he thought they were laughing with him, as if he had said something witty. He did a little pause as if to compute. I don't think it entered his head for a second that they may be laughing at him. Classic narcissist, the narrative in his head has nothing to do with reality.

The first laugh he was confused and hesitated a moment but probably didn't actually register that they laughed. The second laugh he couldn't mistake for what it was, but his "wasn't expecting that" comment was actually the most normal that he has ever sounded.

That was the correct and expected responses to a bunch of people laughing at you when you thought you'd made a sensible statement. For one moment I briefly thought he was sane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Pelvis wrote: »
    God this must be absolutely terrifying for her!

Its crazy that a woman who has been assaulted is thrown up in front of the whole world and get a grilling. Shameful,,,

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Grassley has some brass balls on him. Doing his damnedest here to justify circumventing an FBI investigation by quoting Joe Biden out-of-context... back when he and Orin Hatch were ALL for an FBI investigation!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,999 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

How long will this be and when will the vote be?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,475 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

What a horrible opening statement. Basically he is saying that he did everything he could and it just all so terrible and nobody will help them.

A chairman pointing out his complete bias at the very opening.

Jebus. She is here to give her version of the events. Why should she have to sit through all the BS

• Advertisement

Rjd2 wrote: »

There's no cap on the testimony of the parties involved. Senators are limited to 5 minutes each I believe. AFAIK, the vote is still scheduled for tomorrow, which is plainly nuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Not sure how much of a break will be between Dr. Fords testimony and Kavanaugh's, but the whole thing will likely go on all day, possibly into the night.

Pelvis wrote: »
    Not sure how much of a break will be between Dr. Fords testimony and Kavanaugh's, but the whole thing will likely go on all day, possibly into the night.

I think the fact I plan to watch all this, is proof I ever need that I need a girlfriend. :P

I think the fact I plan to watch all this, is proof I ever needed I needed a girlfriend. :P

I think the fact that you are planning to watch all of this probably explains why you don't have a girlfriend:)

Leroy42 wrote: »
    I think the fact that you are planning to watch all of this probably explains why you don't have a girlfriend:)

harsh but the truth hurts. :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

Trump is right though.

If you go back thirty two years and get a one sided account of what happened at a drunken party where does this all end.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,965 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

tretorn wrote: »
    Trump is right though.

If you go back thirty two years and get a one sided account of what happened at a drunken party where does this all end.

We don't have a one sided account.

We have two accounts.

And one corroborating witness who has taken off, into hiding and refusing to testify even though his mate stands accused.

On what basis is Trump right?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Hopefully it ends when people who assault women and then lie about it don't get to sit on the Supreme Court.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

" Go ahead Mr.Kurd".
    Can you believe the president:) of the US said that to a Kurdish reporter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Trump is right though.

It's not one-sided: both sides have made statements and published evidence. One of the accusers has signed a sworn affidavit. However, there is increasing evidence and testimony mounting against Kavaunagh, whose claims of piety and virginity have rung hollow as it all comes to light.

This never happened with Gorusch it should be added, and wouldn't be a problem if the GOP wasn't trying to desperately ram this nomination through before November, and damn due process, or obvious issues with the candidate.

Jesus, this is tough to watch. Think I'll catch the synopsis later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

He is toast......she sounds credible and very convincing

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

jooksavage wrote: »
    Jesus, this is tough to watch. Think I'll catch the synopsis later.

Yeah agreed. This is very distressing and before anyone states the obvious yeah I know its much tougher for Ford as she is giving the evidence rather than me who is watching it in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

That's a tough watch however it must be torture for herself, much respect

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Just to be able to read that out as well as she is, how many times has she had to practice and relive it in the last few days? :eek:

• Advertisement

BrookieD wrote: »
    That's a tough watch however it must be torture for herself, much respect

Big respect. This woman is clearly petrified. But there she is, voice trembling and close to cracking, delivering an articulate, compelling testimony. It makes me sick to even think what that pig in the whitehouse will have to say about her later on twitter. This is what dignity looks like.

Whats the evidence against Kauvanagh.

Its his word against hers unless there is evidence that she made an official complaint.

This all happened thirty two years ago.

Are there any recent complaints about Kauvanaghs behaviour towards women.
    if she is close to cracking about something that may or may not have happened thirty years ago then she needs expert mental health care. That or she is in line for an oscar.

Describing someone as a pig is very insulting but thats ok because you are talking about a white middleaged male.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,539 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

I'm hoping that the lawyer called in by the committee acts as a lawyer should, and not as an inquisitor. Grassley has lauded her experience as a prosecution lawyer without stating the obvious, that she had been interviewing victims in court as prosecution witnesses, not as hostile witnesses. I hope she maintains her independence and impartiality in her duty at the hearing and not act as an aide to the GOP members of the committee but an aide to the committee and the US as a whole. I can't imagine Grassley butting in while she's interviewing the Prof despite any [committee chairman] urge to do so. If he does so, it should be curtains for the vote on Kavanaugh. It's not a court of law, despite the settings. Sen Grassley saying he will interrupt anyone else asking questions if he thinks it's OK, even when it's their time to ask questions.

Its his word against hers unless there is evidence that she made an official complaint.

Well her husband and her therapist who she told about it long before Kavanaugh was anyone that anyone had heard of.

How many women are they going to dig up every time Trump wants to appoint someone.

Its all very tedious at this stage.

And what if there weren't?

Does that matter?

Does that mean this did not happen?

Does it mean that it was so long ago, it doesn't count?

Can you give a credible reason why Kavanaugh would not call out for an FBI investigation to clear his name, as requested by Ford, Rameriz and the latest complainant?

How many women are they going to dig up every time Trump wants to appoint someone.

I don't know. How many did they dig up for Gorsuch?

Are you trolling at this stage?

Gorsuch went to the same school. 3 Dems voted for him.

It is not about Trump - its about a man who has multiple allegations of sexual misconduct who refuses to call for an investigation to clear his name, and the enabling GOP who are refusing to call a corroborating witness.

This is a line I have seen in the past.

Just wondering, if he had been arrested, charged and found guilty of such a crime 32 years ago, do you think that would preclude him from SCOTUS now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Perhaps he should stop appointing sexual predators...but I guess sit takes one to know one!?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement