Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another potentially interesting find

• 13-07-2018 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭

What do ye'all think this might be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

Possibly due to the dry weather conditions, there are other features appearing in the field that I have attached the screenshot of.

Any advice or information would be Very helpfull at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,233 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I would check against former field boundaries, fence lines, pipelines, overhead power lines (they collect mist) and tractor paths.

But it does look promising.

Hi Victor,

I am mainly refering to the circular features in the field,
    lower east circle vaguely looks like an eye,
    and North West corner a very suspicious irregular circle.
    However, the lines visible are most likely as you said, old field boundary lines.

Well now,

Quick update on this,

Have had it confirmed that the upper left circle in the second picture is an item of interest.
    And it has been added to the NMS Database.

Fame at last!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

A poster on another forum, from Sligeach, has this to say...

'Pah, this side of the Shannon we have so many passage tombs and chambered cairns half of them were never excavated. I have a cairn at the bottom of my land, every hill in sight has a chamber cairn on it.

The most accessable are at Carrowkeel, just crawl in for 20yards and then you can stand up in any of the 3 ante chambers. There are about a dozen of them in total. They all light up at solstice times, perfectly aligned to the sun. If you can get a Jeep and drive up the mountain pass, it's only a 100yard climb.

My local pub/bnb is usually full of PhD students in the summer months doing field studies. Definitely no shortage of archeologists here!'

Perhaps we ought to haunt the local pubs to find the necessary numbers of Irish archeologists to optimise the efforts on all these new sites popping up overnight....

tac

• Advertisement

That must be where they all disappear to then Tac. ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Curious as to how old the attached images are? Parts of that map are years old when I had a look.

InstaSte
    What maps were you looking at?

I only took the screenshot yesterday, and they are fairly up to date.

The earth.zoom ones. Looks like a useful site from an Archaeology perspective but my house isn't even mapped (built c 1.5 years ago).

Curious,

I think that some areas are only updated when something new is found,

I know the building I work in is not on the Satellite maps used by NMS, and it is over 10 years old.

• Advertisement

Might explain it!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,233 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The earth.zoom ones. Looks like a useful site from an Archaeology perspective but my house isn't even mapped (built c 1.5 years ago).
    It may be some time before your house has archaeological merit. ;)

I live in the Boyne Valley with a fair few interesting finds nearby :(

Advertisement