Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

They're Alive!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what de f**k those guys were doing going so far into a cave system when they were obviously not kitted out for that kind of thing and had apparently ignored warning signs about not entering the caves during the rainy season.
    Although it's not a priority now, that 'coach' is going to get a very rough time of it when they are eventually rescued.

I think they had to keep moving deeper into the cave to avoid flooding which would have drowned them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

....... wrote: »

Why don't they just get a big drill and drill down to them?

As for the reality show am not a fan. Prefer it be made into a series after there is happy ending and they are all rescued.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Malayalam wrote: »
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-44692813

That must have been a weird job description...''Are you a doctor or a nurse, who is also an expert cave diver, prepared to negotiate hazardous underwater conditions, narrow passages, utter darkness, silt and an uncertain forecast of heavy rains that may drastically complicate matters, and willing to take up a residential position alongside 12 children and a coach trapped in a cave, in order to supply medical care and entertainment?'' There can't have been that many with not only the qualifications but also the mindset and yet they found them! :) Anyways there is talk of prosecuting the coach, but I feel sorry for him too, he is only a young chap, and probably just thought at the time it would be great craic for the birthday boy. He has also obviously been the one who has managed to keep them somehow organised and sane during this ordeal.

I’d imagine the doctor and nurse are from the Thai navy.

wexie wrote: »
    That's the thing, whatever about having gone in there in the first place (and I don't know if they did or didn't ignore any warnings) he managed to keep them all together, alive and in reasonably good spirits from what I understand.

That's no small feat.

The book should be thrown at him. He endangered the lives of all the boys. And if any of them don’t make it he should be done for manslaughter. Absolute idiot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,821 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

A diver being interviewed said that it's three hours from where they are to the surface. They won't risk it whilst they have a safe place to stay for now.

The book should be thrown at him. He endangered the lives of all the boys. And if any of them don’t make it he should be done for manslaughter. Absolute idiot.

I hope he doesn't. He's more than suffered enough & we don't know the circumstances.

....... wrote: »
    We dont know exactly what happened and he hardly did it on purpose just to be mean.

Honestly, a bit of empathy for everyone in the situation wouldnt go astray.

If your kid died because of the stupidity of his football coach, would you feel “empathy” because he’d amused the kids while they were waiting to be rescued??

Discodog wrote: »
    I hope he doesn't. He's more than suffered enough & we don't know the circumstances.

We know he ignored flood warnings and brought a group of children into a highly dangerous area. A few years in the Bangkok Hilton might cop him on.

• Advertisement

We know he ignored flood warnings and brought a group of children into a highly dangerous area. A few years in the Bangkok Hilton might cop him on.

Hopefully you will have a perfect life & never make a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

The coach and the kids haven't even made it out safely yet and talk of punishment ! If I was parent I wold be mad of course he did that if my child died but if my child survived I can't say Id hold any grudge, Id just be happy they're all safe again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭badtoro

How safe is their current location should a heavy monsoon come in I wonder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

badtoro wrote: »
    How safe is their current location should a heavy monsoon come in I wonder.

It's questionable apparently :
    More heavy rain could see water levels rise and threaten the air pocket where the group has taken refuge.

To make matters worse apparently most of the boys can't swim either.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Malayalam wrote: »

That must have been a weird job description...''Are you a doctor or a nurse, who is also an expert cave diver, prepared to negotiate hazardous underwater conditions, narrow passages, utter darkness, silt and an uncertain forecast of heavy rains that may drastically complicate matters, and willing to take up a residential position alongside 12 children and a coach trapped in a cave, in order to supply medical care and entertainment?'' There can't have been that many with not only the qualifications but also the mindset and yet they found them! :)Anyways there is talk of prosecuting the coach, but I feel sorry for him too, he is only a young chap, and probably just thought at the time it would be great craic for the birthday boy. He has also obviously been the one who has managed to keep them somehow organised and sane during this ordeal.

Given the ages, was there not parental consent in full knowledge of where they were going.? And his life in danger too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Graces7 wrote: »
    Given the ages, was there not parental consent in full knowledge of where they were going.? And his life in danger too.

I wouldn't be confident that's how things work in rural Thailand

• Registered Users Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I don't know if it would be feasible, but could they use some sort of handheld propeller with a light? It might cut time off the three hours (if it'd really take that long) and it'd help non-swimmer/non-divers. The power mightn't last too long but it'd be better than nothing.

hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Jesus if there was any way of getting a signal to the Thai navy to just go on the boards.ie message boards, there's a rake of solutions they obviously haven't thought of.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I don't know if it would be feasible, but could they use some sort of handheld propeller with a light? It might cut time off the three hours (if it'd really take that long) and it'd help non-swimmer/non-divers. The power mightn't last too long but it'd be better than nothing.

hqdefault.jpg

Does that come with an oxygen pack?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Malayalam

Awww, the sweathearts :) They are being so patient and calm. I was told yesterday of 2 friends of a friend who got lost for 3 or 4 days in a cave without light, but the guy has not been mentally the same again yet (it would take about an hour before I would lose my mind in those circumstances!). What it must have been like for these youngsters in those almost 240 hours when they had no idea if help would ever come.

Ben Reymenants, a Thai-based Belgian diver ... shed some light on how the boys and their coach, Ekkapol Chantawong, 25, ended up in this ghastly situation in the first place.

It was apparently a local initiation ceremony for boys to run to the end of a cave tunnel and write their name on the wall before running back. While they were all inside, however, a flash flood sealed off the exit forcing the boys to head further into the mountain.

Armed with a single functioning torch, they managed to reach the spot where they have subsequently been discovered.

(Daily Mail)

Seems to me then it was a quite innocent event that led to them being trapped. A local thing that boys did then a flash flood.

An ex-Thai Navy Seal has died having run out of oxygen while placing air tanks on the route.

Once the rains start, they will likely be trapped for four months.

Supposedly, oxygen levels in their air pocket have been falling so a five kilometre pipe will apparently be installed to provide air.

Harrowing times for the boys, their families and the rescuers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

AMKC wrote: »
    Why don't they just get a big drill and drill down to them?
    d.

You've probably heard the answer by now but.

https://edition.cnn.com/videos/tv/2018/07/04/lead-foreman-thai-cave-rescue-challenges-live.cnn

Last 60 seconds or so.

It seems really impossible that they could dive them out - it really seems too treacherous, and especially now that a professional had died. RIP

And it seems also impossible to bore down to them from that video. Jesus, what a fix. Its like being entombed alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Earlier jubilation felt during the week is swiftly receding especially with the death of an experienced diver. At least there is still hope.

Since it's now in an utterly desperate situation, full face masks and full sedation with two divers guiding each one out seems plausible.

The panic the kids will inevitably experience otherwise is going to kill themselves and others.

• Advertisement

Since it's now in an utterly desperate situation, full face masks and full sedation with two divers guiding each one out seems plausible.

The panic the kids will inevitably experience otherwise is going to kill themselves and others.

Crikey, that seems difficult with the narrow spaces.
    Just goes to show with all our technical advances we are still at the mercy of nature

Advertisement