Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So who's going to see the Pope?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

NIMAN wrote: »
    I'll admit I didn't watch much of it, but did watch more of the analysis and read media reports.

I saw various people on from all the survivor groups etc, and they all said that he did not apologise and admit that they covered up paedo's. I was taking their word for it. They even said that he can't admit that, cos it would leave them open to legal actions.

I couldn't bring myself to watch much of it, I wouldn't have the stomach for it to be honest. Once I heard Daniel O'Donnell and Nathan Carter were included, that done it for me !!

He didn't address that but they will try and say he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,977 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

My own mother today was visibly shocked when she listened to them discuss the 800 babies in Tuam. No idea how she didn't hear it before, but she wouldn't be a current affairs watcher.

She couldn't get her head around it.

"Thats only one of the evils your beloved church has gotten up to in this country".

What else could I say?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

EdgeCase wrote: »
    I doubt it was a dorm in a Magdalene Laundry anyway.

No but the building looked similar

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭votecounts

Would people stop linking homosexuality to paedophelia, it is insulting to the gay community.

He didn't address that but they will try and say he did.

Then why are some making it sound like he apologised many times this weekend?

Did he or didn't he?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

votecounts wrote: »
    Would people stop linking homosexuality to paedophelia, it is insulting to the gay community.

Would the mods also consider please doing something about it. It's a classic homophobic slur.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Irish Kings

My own mother today was visibly shocked when she listened to them discuss the 800 babies in Tuam. No idea how she didn't hear it before, but she wouldn't be a current affairs watcher.

She couldn't get her head around it.

"Thats only one of the evils your beloved church has gotten up to in this country".

What else could I say?

Jaysus you didn't say that to your poor ma did you ??

The poor woman is only into it for the spirituality and faith not the politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Then why are some making it sound like he apologised many times this weekend?

Did he or didn't he?

He apologised, as the Vatican have before, for the abuse by priests. He did not apologise for the cover up in the Vatican. There really was nothing new in what he said, just that he said it in Ireland.

I did indeed say it. We have had many debates about the evils of the CC, and she acknowledges them.

How she never heard about Tuam I'll never know. But I could see that it was something she couldn't quite comprehend. Perhaps she now knows how many feel, since many aren't as forgiving as her to past evils.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Strazdas wrote: »
    300 abusers is disgraceful but just to keep things in perspective, the population of Pennsylvania is 13 million, that is bigger than countries like Belgium and Sweden and nearly three times the population of Ireland.

How many of that 13m are priests though? That narrows the ratio drastically

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

kenmc wrote: »
    How many of that 13m are priests though? That narrows the ratio drastically
    Well apparently there are 982 parishes in Pennsylvania, does anyone have a rough estimate of how many priests you might find per parish in a state with two big cities (Pittsburh + Philadelphia) and otherwise about 3mn people in a landmass about 50% bigger than Ireland?

The link below also seems to say around 1,150 priests (Priests Active Within Their Diocese + Priests Active Outside Their Diocese) but surely, surely it would have to be more than that with 300 of them abusing children? Either way it appears to be an incredibly high percentage of them who were at it.

https://www.pacatholic.org/resources/pa-catholic-statistics/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

300 abusers is disgraceful but just to keep things in perspective, the population of Pennsylvania is 13 million, that is bigger than countries like Belgium and Sweden and nearly three times the population of Ireland.

Nope, Penns only has a catholic population of only 3.2m, which is about the same as Ireland's catholics on average over the previous decades.

Ire has a much, much higher percentage of catholics, with control of schools and suchlike. It's dropping right now, but 2016:78%, 2011:84% and in pre-2000 92+%.

The 300 satanic priests in Penns only preyed upon, and had primary access to that '3.2m' section of their community. So highly comparable to Ireland indeed. There is porbably a lot yet to come out of the woodwork in Ireland of as yet as the Archbishop himself already alluded to. 300 in Ireland over the last 50yrs mightn't be that far off perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I get the impression there simply aren't any troops to muster. I think we are really seeing the organisation as an outward shell of its former self.
    The decline has also been rapid enough that I think many both inside and outside the church are often a bit surprised. It's just a huge shift in Irish sociology.

We've gone from a somewhat extreme version of being devout Catholics to a far more normal relationship with religion that is looking much more like the rest of Northern Europe. It's just the change happened more rapidly, compressed over a few decades.

I severed my ties with the Catholic Church when the Tuam scandal came to light, having had a strained relationship with it for years previous to this, and having grown up believing it to be a wonderful thing. I wonder how many others decided to quit in a very rapid decision / thought process like this. It was an immediate, visceral "that's it, I'm f*cking done" in my case. Haven't set foot in a Catholic Church since and my relationship with God is an entirely private one.

To be honest, my own estrangement from the church began when I hit puberty. I'd be very surprised if that didn't happen to others. As soon as sexuality becomes a part of your life, the right wing sh!t pervading the church sets you on a direct collision course with it - trying as a teenager to navigate the whole "even thinking about a woman sexually is a sin, and touching your privates in private is basically committing a mini-holocaust of tiny half-people" crap, while unavoidably pitching random tents at the mere sight of a girl your age wearing a belly top, is absolutely hellish if you're somebody who takes religion seriously at that age, and at least in my case, over time the utter absurdity of the church's undisguised hatred for such a basic aspect of being a living creature is impossible to ignore. This is the kind of stuff I'm talking about when I say that the Catholic church's teachings on these things are themselves a form of psychological child abuse. I can only imagine how much worse and more ridiculous it is if you're gay.

It's truly astounding that some of the church's teachings on these issues which are based in utterly misinterpreted bible passages haven't been questioned within the organisation itself. The biblical basis for contraception being a sin is in a passage in which a guy gets smited for pulling out, but he's actually being smited for refusing to get a woman pregnant on God's orders. The passage where all sexual thoughts are automatically sinful most likely refers to a "wife" rather than a "woman", so at most it's saying "don't fantasise about someone else's partner", but that passage forms the entire basis for opposition to mastrubation and the idea that so much as entertaining a sexual thought about someone you're not currently married to is a mortal sin.

It's absolutely absurd. The church saw fit to jettison huge swathes of biblical rules over the years as they became incompatible with where society was going - why it refuses to budge on sexual conservatism is utterly beyond me. But between that issue and the scandals issue, which in my view are inextricably linked to eachother, I expect the church to continue haemorrhaging members.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I know talking to one or two of my older relatives; th sense you get is they feel like they were conned.

As someone raised Catholic in the 1990s I agree with this. And it's not just in relation to the church actually but to Ireland itself in many ways - in the years of the original Celtic tiger it was all about how we were growing up in the best country in Europe in so many ways. When the scandals came to light it was like "hang on, women were locked up against their will right up until 1996 for being sexual people? Why the f*ck did no one ever tell us this?! Best country in Europe my hole."

It's pretty painful to discover that the foundation of one's national identity is a massive filthy lie. And I reckon that's why among young people, it goes beyond the disappointment you refer to in older generations and crosses over into undisguised rage and fury.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,980 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Billy86 wrote: »
    Well apparently there are 982 parishes in Pennsylvania, does anyone have a rough estimate of how many priests you might find per parish in a state with two big cities (Pittsburh + Philadelphia) and otherwise about 3mn people in a landmass about 50% bigger than Ireland?

The link below also seems to say around 1,150 priests (Priests Active Within Their Diocese + Priests Active Outside Their Diocese) but surely, surely it would have to be more than that with 300 of them abusing children? Either way it appears to be an incredibly high percentage of them who were at it.

https://www.pacatholic.org/resources/pa-catholic-statistics/

The abuse statistics go right back to 1947 so presumably the number of priests would be much higher. Didn't Ireland have 6000 priests at one point in the mid 1950s? That would easily equate to tens of thousands of priests in a sixty year period and I imagine the same for Penn.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The weather will have put many off on the day, but given the age of most of the cohort, I'd say the word got out successfully about the amount of walking involved. The lack of support within the park for the less mobile was also a factor, though I think a 500,000 attendance was a bit aspirational.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭DChancer

It is telling that they announced that the next World Meeting of Families is going to be held in ....
    ROME!

Obviously they cannot risk taking it on the road again after what has been a huge PR disaster for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I very much doubt if any Pope will visit Ireland again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Yeah, but it's not 300 abusers out of 13 million is it?

It's 300 out of whatever the church workforce is.

That ratio puts it clearly into "rapists anonymous" territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,362 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

mikemac2 wrote: »
    How do you spot someone with no interest in religion?

They love to tell everyone

How do you spot someone indirectly supporting something?
    They make light of those who actively dislike it with valid reasons.

• Advertisement

In for a penny, in for a pound.

She should know what her donation money goes towards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭circadian

It's absolutely absurd. The church saw fit to jettison huge swathes of biblical rules over the years as they became incompatible with where society was going - why it refuses to budge on sexual conservatism is utterly beyond me. But between that issue and the scandals issue, which in my view are inextricably linked to eachother, I expect the church to continue haemorrhaging members.

It refuses to budge on sexual conservatism because it's run by a bunch of celibate men with repressed sexual feelings. If they can be celibate then surely you, the congregation can follow these simple rules.

The hypocrisy of it all is astonishing, not only does this train of thought have a negative effect on teenagers as you have rightly pointed out, it also has a negative effect of the clergy which then creates much, much bigger problems in the form of abuse.

The church is going to eat itself alive from the inside out eventually, most of its practices are detrimental to the clergy.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

spurious wrote: »
    The weather will have put many off on the day, but given the age of most of the cohort, I'd say the word got out successfully about the amount of walking involved. The lack of support within the park for the less mobile was also a factor, though I think a 500,000 attendance was a bit aspirational.

Over a million managed it in 1979 and public transport wasn't as good then, Darts didn't exist then.

The interest is just not there as Ireland is not as religious as it was despite what RTE would have you believe with their OTT coverage.

Discodog wrote: »
    I very much doubt if any Pope will visit Ireland again

Attendance of 130k from a population of 4.8m?
    Really poor return on investment.

Once all the 70+ brigade die off in the next few decades the number of people who claim to be Catholics drops to 60%, let alone the drift that will happen in the rest of us.

Next time a pope comes around he won't fill landsdown, let alone Phoenix.

murpho999 wrote: »
    The interest is just not there as Ireland is not as religious as it was despite what RTE would have you believe with their OTT coverage.

Excuse me, I quite like the bell ringing enthusiasts segment.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

CruelCoin wrote:
    Attendance of 130k from a population of 4.8m? Really poor return on investment.

Faith is not a financial investment, so monitising it is pointless
    CruelCoin wrote:
    Once all the 70+ brigade die off in the next few decades the number of people who claim to be Catholics drops to 60%, let alone the drift that will happen in the rest of us.

Oh never underestimate the power of faith and ultimately hope, catholicism isn't dead yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Giraffe Box

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Attendance of 130k from a population of 4.8m?
    Really poor return on investment.

Next time a pope comes around he won't fill landsdown, let alone Phoenix.

Lansdowne Road???
    In 40 years time the next pope will have trouble filling The Sugar Club!
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,362 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Lansdowne Road???
    If you apply the decline as linear (a false supposition as we all know the decline was front loaded in the last 10 years).
    You get the annual decline as ((1million-120000)/39), or approximately 22,500 per year, or 2.25% per annum.
    In 40 years I would reckon that we would be at or approaching 0. (in ireland)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭circadian

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Faith is not a financial investment, so monitising it is pointless

Oh never underestimate the power of faith and ultimately hope, catholicism isn't dead yet

How much did the event cost? That's a financial investment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Lansdowne Road???

He might attract a bigger crowd if he brings his wife or husband and their kids.

Advertisement