Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

golden state killer arrested

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭jiltloop

They're mostly human trash though, predators. Don't fall for the politically correct spinning. Granted, some of them do live relatively normal lives.

Overall, they're more trouble than they're worth.

Wow! :pac::pac::pac:

You really have no idea what you're talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

They're mostly human trash though, predators. Don't fall for the politically correct spinning. Granted, some of them do live relatively normal lives.

Overall, they're more trouble than they're worth.

What's your solution? Wipe them off the earth a birth if some gene shows that a psychopath has been born? Books have been written showing some surgeons and lawyers are psychopathic, lawyers being cold and ruthless is no surprise but if a psychopathic lawyer nailed someone who hurt me or killed a loved one or a surgeon saved a loved ones life I'm really not bothered if he/she's a coldhearted ruthless bastard.

Walk down your local main street on a sunny day and you walk past them, listen to some bands you love and chances are you may be listening to the words or guitar of someone who is psychopathic.

Plenty of them can wreak havoc but plenty of them don't.

Far too easy to say lets test babies for a gene and deal with the problem if they have it. That being said though..............

if we wiped out all gingers Ed Sheeran would not have a career

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Why didn't you tell us before!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Ah let him off.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Omackeral wrote: »
    So well known that I've no idea wtf you're on about. Would it kill you to include a bit of info outside of just a link. It's lazy.

Geez dude the first paragraph of Link reads:

California police have arrested a former police officer for a notorious spree of murders, rapes and burglaries in the 1970s and 80s.

Are you that lazy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

he had an extremely small penis. that's all you need to know

No way that psychopath Sheeran terrorized the airwaves for ages.. Multiple victims.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Omackeral wrote: »
    So well known that I've no idea wtf you're on about. Would it kill you to include a bit of info outside of just a link. It's lazy.

Would it kill you to pick up your phone and do a google search on the name?

That's just lazy.... Really lazy. And expectant. Expecting people to do things for you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Chaos Tourist

jiltloop wrote: »
    Wow! :pac::pac::pac:

You really have no idea what you're talking about.

And you do? Do go on...

Pelvis wrote: »
    I think you'd find the vast minority are actually a danger to society.

Do you mean the percentage of violent criminals? Does that include professionals in the financial world, cops, journalists etc?

• Advertisement

What's your solution? Wipe them off the earth a birth if some gene shows that a psychopath has been born? Books have been written showing some surgeons and lawyers are psychopathic, lawyers being cold and ruthless is no surprise but if a psychopathic lawyer nailed someone who hurt me or killed a loved one or a surgeon saved a loved ones life I'm really not bothered if he/she's a coldhearted ruthless bastard.

Walk down your local main street on a sunny day and you walk past them, listen to some bands you love and chances are you may be listening to the words or guitar of someone who is psychopathic.

Plenty of them can wreak havoc but plenty of them don't.

Far too easy to say lets test babies for a gene and deal with the problem if they have it. That being said though..............

Dude it's a genetic personality disorder. No known cures. Nip it in the bud.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

Nip it in the bud.

How? Using what method?

How? Using what method?

In my first post I said hopefully someday science will be able to eliminate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

In my first post I said hopefully someday science will be able to eliminate it.

Why though? It's only a tiny minority of people with psychopathy who are a danger to society. If anything, it seems to be an indicator of success in business

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Interesting that there is a 5 year break between 1981-86 and then he just stopped after 86. What happened that made him just stop?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

McGrath5 wrote: »
    Interesting that there is a 5 year break between 1981-86 and then he just stopped after 86. What happened that made him just stop?

One of his kids was born in 1981 so that maybe explains the first break. Don't know what made him stop altogether though. Maybe he didn't, he just was never linked to those cases?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

I bet it was Harry Bosch who solved the case.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

McGrath5 wrote: »

Maybe he didn't stop, maybe he just got better at doing it. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Maybe he didn't stop, maybe he just got better at doing it. :eek:

Possibly... so many unanswered questions!

And you do? Do go on...

I don't profess to be an expert but I'm certain that I'm more informed than you.

About 1% of the population would be classed as psychopathic of which the vast majority would be completely harmless. What they do tend to lack significantly is empathy for animals or fellow human beings. This does not mean that they will tend to cruelty just that they are not likely to be phased or horrified by cruelty suffered by another creature.

Where this becomes dangerous is when a person with the psychopathic gene suffers abuse or trauma in the early stages of their lives, an abusive parent or sibling for instance. This is where a psychopath can in some cases become the dangerous type that develop in to the type of serial killer or rapist that we're discussing.

So whilst a psychopath who is abused in early life may be at a higher risk to themselves become an abuser/killer this does not mean that all of them will and of course it does not mean that all serial killers/abusers/rapists are psychopaths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

So it's based solely upon nurture versus nature?

racso1975 wrote: »
    So it's based solely upon nurture versus nature?

No, what it means is that due to their nature they are more sensitive to negative nurturing or a lack of nurturing.

I don't profess to be an expert but I'm certain that I'm more informed than you.

About 1% of the population would be classed as psychopathic of which the vast majority would be completely harmless. What they do tend to lack significantly is empathy for animals or fellow human beings. This does not mean that they will tend to cruelty just that they are not likely to be phased or horrified by cruelty suffered by another creature.

Where this becomes dangerous is when a person with the psychopathic gene suffers abuse or trauma in the early stages of their lives, an abusive parent or sibling for instance. This is where a psychopath can in some cases become the dangerous type that develop in to the type of serial killer or rapist that we're discussing.

So whilst a psychopath who is abused in early life may be at a higher risk to themselves become an abuser/killer this does not mean that all of them will and of course it does not mean that all serial killers/abusers/rapists are psychopaths.

Any links for that?

Robert Hare, an expert in the field of criminal psychology refers to them as "intraspecies predators."

Here's part of the abstract of a paper from Hoffman and Kiehal "THE CRIMINAL PSYCHOPATH: HISTORY, NEUROSCIENCE, TREATMENT, AND ECONOMICS"

Psychopaths are twenty to twenty-five times more likely than non-psychopaths to be in prison, four to eight times more likely to violently recidivate compared to non-psychopaths, and are resistant to most forms of treatment.

The best current estimate is that just less than 1% of all noninstitutionalized males age 18 and over are psychopaths.1 This translates to approximately 1,150,000 adult males who would meet the criteria for psychopathy in the United States today.2 And of the approximately 6,720,000 adult males that are in prison, jail, parole, or probation,3 16%, or 1,075,000, are psychopaths.4 Thus, approximately 93% of adult male psychopaths in the United States are in prison, jail, parole, or probation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

No, what it means is that due to their nature they are more sensitive to negative nurturing or a lack of nurturing.

Like nature via nurture, or lack thereof?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

SeaFields wrote: »
    I read a statistic before that 75% of the world's known serial killers are in the US. Crazy stuff.

Russia seems to have alot. Apparently the area of California where this ine is from seems to breed a good few of them.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/taibbi-parkland-florida-school-shooting-gun-control-nra-w516850
    https://www.theguardian.com/theobserver/1999/aug/08/life1.lifemagazine

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

Just reading how they got him. Used genealogy website's to trace him. Sites where people submit dna to track family tree. Then they got his dna from a discarded item. Amazing stuff. Fair play to those involved for getting closure for all the victims if indeed it is him. Watched the five part documentary on him and he is one of the most evil serial killers ever. I do wonder why he suddenly gave up. Most don't till they are caught. He doesn't look in the best of health so the evil animal will probably die in prison after a few years. But still great they got him and allows the family's to face this animal in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Ipso wrote: »
    Russia seems to have alot. Apparently the area of California where this ine is from seems to breed a good few of them.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/taibbi-parkland-florida-school-shooting-gun-control-nra-w516850
    https://www.theguardian.com/theobserver/1999/aug/08/life1.lifemagazine

Imagine while there is overlap, there are differences in the psychological profiles of mass shooters and serial killers. Surprised that rolling stone is still, cranking out content.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

Just reading how they got him. Used genealogy website's to trace him. Sites where people submit dna to track family tree. Then they got his dna from a discarded item. Amazing stuff. Fair play to those involved for getting closure for all the victims if indeed it is him. Watched the five part documentary on him and he is one of the most evil serial killers ever. I do wonder why he suddenly gave up. Most don't till they are caught. He doesn't look in the best of health so the evil animal will probably die in prison after a few years. But still great they got him and allows the family's to face this animal in court.

That's amazing all right, amazingly disturbing... It would seem that these DNA genealogy sites are pretty free with who they allow access to your genetic profile.
    When you see the uproar over facebook's retention of massive amounts of sensitive information, it makes me think you'd be crazy to provide a DNA sample to these companies, who knows who they're selling it to.

You might for example start to wonder why your health insurance just doubled and never know your healthcare provider bought your genetic profile and decided you were now high risk.

If the government wanted to have access to all your private communications and a DNA sample to create a national DNA database of citizens, people would hit the roof, but create exactly the same thing in the guise of entertainment and people seem more than happy to oblige.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

conorhal wrote: »
    That's amazing all right, amazingly disturbing... It would seem that these DNA genealogy sites are pretty free with who they allow access to your genetic profile.
    When you see the uproar over facebook's retention of massive amounts of sensitive information, it makes me think you'd be crazy to provide a DNA sample to these companies, who knows who they're selling it to.

You might for example start to wonder why your health insurance just doubled and never know your healthcare provider bought your genetic profile and decided you were now high risk.

If the government wanted to have access to all your private communications and a DNA sample to create a national DNA database of citizens, people would hit the roof, but create exactly the same thing in the guise of entertainment and people seem more than happy to oblige.

Yeah - I mean obviously it's great that they caught this guy but the whole genealogy test thing is a bit unsettling - if you use one of these box kits, is your DNA info public property?

• Advertisement

They used the DNA from the original crime scenes and trawled through those family tree sites until they found a similar match. Used that match and drilled down through that persons family tree. Found the suspect based on his age and general location around the time of certain murders.. So even if your cousin posts his DNA away to these sites they can still track things back to anyone in that family tree based on circumstances surrounding an event!

Advertisement