Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US considering Preemptive Strike against North Korea.

• 14-04-2017 12:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

The U.S. is prepared to launch a preemptive strike with conventional weapons against North Korea should officials become convinced that North Korea is about to follow through with a nuclear weapons test, multiple senior U.S. intelligence officials told NBC News.

North Korea has warned that a "big event" is near, and U.S. officials say signs point to a nuclear test that could come as early as this weekend.
    The intelligence officials told NBC News that the U.S. has positioned two destroyers capable of shooting Tomahawk cruise missiles in the region, one just 300 miles from the North Korean nuclear test site.

American heavy bombers are also positioned in Guam to attack North Korea should it be necessary, and earlier this week, the Pentagon announced that the USS Carl Vinson aircraft carrier strike group was being diverted to the area.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/u-s-may-launch-strike-if-north-korea-reaches-nuclear-n746366

Will North Korea keep calm on Saturday or will they test the resolve of Trump?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

A pre emptive strike against the North would have to be big, very big. I don't know if we're there yet. As much as I dislike Kim and Trump, I don't see this happening, maybe if they launch a missile test it might be taken out.

But I don't know about a pre emptive strike.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Could the ships not take out a rocket if one was launched from North Korea?
    Or is it a nuclear test that is feared?

Seeing as there is no 'peace' between the north and south surely any bombing would mean a resumption of war

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 netherlands15

BEST KOREA SCHEDULE NUKE TEST SATURDAY,

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Silane

Seems very strange to me that America dropped it's first MOAB yesterday, on caves in Afghanistan. Those things are ridiculously expensive, why bother wasting it on a few terrorists on Afghanistan?, it's basically playing the worlds most expensive game whack-a-mole.
    I think they were testing it out before dropping them on North Korea, possibly as a follow up to bunker buster attacks on the nuclear facilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

This is what happens when two maniacs clash. Given all indications, it would not surprise me in the slightest at this stage if we seen a nuclear warhead fired by the end of the weekend.

Trump is steamrolling towards several conflicts at once with his ego. Why is he even bothering with North Korea ffs. Absolute moron.

• Advertisement

also full moon weekend

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    This is what happens when two maniacs clash. Given all indications, it would not surprise me in the slightest at this stage if we seen a nuclear warhead fired by the end of the weekend.

Trump is steamrolling towards several conflicts at once with his ego. Why is he even bothering with North Korea ffs. Absolute moron.

I think Trump is playing his hand pretty well, he's essentially forcing China to act on North Korea, China can't afford a US invasion of North Korea, if the US does attack, China will own the ground attack.
    Something has to be done, they can't be allowed to launch Missiles towards Japan, and test nuclear weapons, the US are Treaty bound to defend Japan.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 172 ✭✭Dubh Linn

N Korea is remaining defiant over this.

North Korea will not "keep its arms crossed" in the face of a US pre-emptive strike, Pyongyang's vice foreign minister has said.
    He also called Trump's tweets about the issue "aggressive" and said that he was "making trouble".

What is the world coming to?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Am I the only person rooting for mr Kim ?

Probably.

• Advertisement

Dubh Linn wrote: »
    Probably.

He's the better of two evils to be fair

Quite a lot of people would disagree with you on that one.

Quite a lot of people would disagree with you on that one.

At least he doesn't dye his hair and wear makeup. Give him some credit :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

He's the better of two evils to be fair

Explain how someone who keeps millions of people in labour camps and does nothing to better the situation of their own populace is the better of two evils?

I know Trump is no angel himself, but Kim is threating nuclear war for God's sake.

just supposing trump and kim are the main actors,

neither will back down,

guaranteed mutual destruction

just supposing trump and kim are the main actors,

neither will back down,

guaranteed mutual destruction

Mutual Destruction?? Haha, seriously doubt that. You're grossly overestimating North Korea's force projection capability.

I know Trump is no angel himself, but Kim is threating nuclear war for God's sake.

Kim is all talk, his bark is worse than his bite, he's being making threats for yonks. In fact Mr Kim is a big fan of american basketball. :pac:

If the US does launch a strike on N Korea, which, given their "successful" mission in Afghanistan yesterday, could work out, what would happen in the immediate aftermath. Nuclear war, maybe? How likely is it at this moment that the US will hit North Korea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Pair of ****

• Advertisement

If the US does launch a strike on N Korea, which, given their "successful" mission in Afghanistan yesterday, could work out, what would happen in the immediate aftermath. Nuclear war, maybe? How likely is it at this moment that the US will hit North Korea?

You need to relax, why are you so worried about it ? it won't affect you. Just sit back and light a ciggie and enjoy the tit for tat. Nothings gonna to happen.

• GIT SUM

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭CoolHandBandit

BEST KOREA SCHEDULE NUKE TEST SATURDAY,

I think we are past the stage of jokes tbh. Iv'e a friend who works in Seoul and she tells me there is a very strong noticeable increase in tension in the city over what's to come. The South Koreans aren't laughing about Kim Un Fats intentions anymore. As far as im aware even leaving nuclear missiles aside the North have enough artillary pointed at Seoul to kill thousands within hours.

I do hope somehow North Korean military leaders can organise a coup to overthrow their leader before it all goes pear shaped.

Your Face wrote: »
    Pair of ****

don;t say that to their face, they might nuke ya

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Am I the only person rooting for mr Kim ?

You most certainly are not...judging by posts I have seen on foreign websites, it looks like a large proportion of humanity hopes he gives the orange clowns thugs a hiding.

You need to relax, why are you so worried about it ? it won't affect you. Just sit back and light a ciggie and enjoy the tit for tat. Nothings gonna to happen.
    What makes you so sure?

• Kim has played a clever hand so far. All the sanctions etc haven't stoped him reaching his goal of developing nuclear missiles capable of reaching the US. In fact he has made remarkable progress. Of all the nuclear powers, Kim is the one today that is capable of pressing the button and for that reason Trump knows that he must be stopped now, before he has the capability of wiping out Los Angeles.

Trump does appear to have China finally on board. If he attacks Kim it wont be just his nuclear facilities that he will hit, he will go after Kim personally and all their command and control systems. It will be really messy as the North Koreans are so indoctrinated and they have so many conventional artillary pieces that they will cause huge damage to the south. Fixing North Korea afterwards, either as part of the south or as a Chinese statelet will be expensive.

But the bottom line is Kim, won't and can't be allowed possess the ability to nuke the US.

I think we are past the stage of jokes tbh. Iv'e a friend who works in Seoul and she tells me there is a very strong noticeable increase in tension in the city over what's to come. The South Koreans aren't laughing about Kim Un Fats intentions anymore. As far as im aware even leaving nuclear missiles aside the North have enough artillary pointed at Seoul to kill thousands within hours.

I do hope somehow North Korean military leaders can organise a coup to overthrow their leader before it all goes pear shaped.

i agree with you and was not joking,

a test is scheduled for saturday,

What makes you so sure?

How many times before have we heard about NK making threats against the yanks ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭geotrig

Im not sure the military leaders are what you want to launch a coup against Kim ,they seem worse than him for wanting to show some force !

Advertisement