Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chat/general discussion thread?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Hesthea wrote: »
    Yes. I'm not saying that everyone thinks the same way towards the term otaku. One of the reasons japanese don't laugh at cosplayers is because majority of them like to cosplay.
    Even though they are trying to ease the negative stereotype that has befallen on the word otaku that might take a while since the media still links the "otaku murderer" to the word otaku.

A majority of Japanese people like to cosplay, huh? Cosplaying can be a pretty intense hobby, so I really doubt that a mority would cosplay, it sounds like quite a generalization. You don't mind if I ask you for a source on that, do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Hesthea

Links234 wrote: »
    A majority of Japanese people like to cosplay, huh? Cosplaying can be a pretty intense hobby, so I really doubt that a mority would cosplay, it sounds like quite a generalization. You don't mind if I ask you for a source on that, do you?

Let me rephrase it:
    The Japanese youth likes to cosplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Butterscotch

Here is an imformative documentary explaining how cosplay and Otaku are seen in Japan and in the Western world which you maybe interested in.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/9XBrmyoWj-k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sorry for double posting I couldn't edit post. Here is the link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XBrmyoWj-k

Sorry for double posting I couldn't edit post. Here is the link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XBrmyoWj-k

Thanks for the link, Butterscotch.

That shows clearly that Japan has a market for cosplay in Tokyo, the famous Akihabara, Otome Road in Ikebukuro and lets not forget Harajuku.

Unfortunately, cosplay is a taboo hobby that isn't openly accepted by the Japanese society.

• Advertisement

You are welcome. Glad you enjoyed it!

It is a very informative documentary. It is the same with here too to a certain extent and most places. We are still living in the dark ages some what having a long way to go but there is hope in the future as times are changing gradually.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

I was reading somewhere online quite a few months ago that most Japanese people cosplaying at a con in Japan will get themselves into costume and character at the con itself, rather than walk around/taxi themselves to a con in character as it is viewed as shameful or disrespectful. Apparently the people you would see walking to a con already in cosplay are Westerners, is that true?

I don't have a link unfortunately, it was too far back to remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

entropi wrote: »
    I was reading somewhere online quite a few months ago that most Japanese people cosplaying at a con in Japan will get themselves into costume and character at the con itself, rather than walk around/taxi themselves to a con in character as it is viewed as shameful or disrespectful. Apparently the people you would see walking to a con already in cosplay are Westerners, is that true?

I don't have a link unfortunately, it was too far back to remember.

Well, certainly at Comiket this year, most of the cosplayers seemed to be carting around suitcases so I'm assuming they were getting changed at the venue. However, I would've just assumed it was more for practicality's sake - most people would have had to travel a fair distance on trains etc. to get to the venue and navigating that in cosplay (especially since most of the ones I saw were quite extravagant!) wouldn't be the easiest of tasks. Plus, there's the chance of your cosplay getting dirtied/damaged etc. Could well be true about the shameful side of things aswell but I genuinely think practicality plays a huge part in changing into your cosplay the the venue rather than at home!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

When I was over there I talked to a few and they said they would have no problem wearing cosplay around. As Konata said above, it's just more convenient.

It does seem far more practical to do it that way, since not everybody will stay more than the one day as per usual with a con and they can just pack up, wheel their stuff away and catch a train home during the night. Were there dressing rooms separate from the regular toilets for cosplayers there, Konata? Also, was it a good con?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

It does seem far more practical to do it that way, since not everybody will stay more than the one day as per usual with a con and they can just pack up, wheel their stuff away and catch a train home during the night. Were there dressing rooms separate from the regular toilets for cosplayers there, Konata? Also, was it a good con?

They don't really have "cons" here in the sense that we do, or in America etc. Comiket is just like a massive trade hall really - they've got the industry booths in one area selling lots of exclusive goods (though you had to queue for hours for each one if you wanted to buy anything!!) and then the other area is the main attraction of Comiket - the doujinshi sellers. Other than that there were just reams of cosplayers gathered outside the venue posing for people. There's no events, or games rooms, or screenings or panels or anything like that. It was certainly an experience though! Never seen so many people in one place haha! And the quality of the cosplays were just outstanding, not a half-arsed one in sight.

I don't actually know if there were seperate changing rooms or not sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

They don't really have "cons" here in the sense that we do, or in America etc. Comiket is just like a massive trade hall really - they've got the industry booths in one area selling lots of exclusive goods (though you had to queue for hours for each one if you wanted to buy anything!!) and then the other area is the main attraction of Comiket - the doujinshi sellers. Other than that there were just reams of cosplayers gathered outside the venue posing for people. There's no events, or games rooms, or screenings or panels or anything like that. It was certainly an experience though! Never seen so many people in one place haha!And the quality of the cosplays were just outstanding, not a half-arsed one in sight.

So, no Kill La Kill ones?

Ha

Ha

Ha.

:o

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »
    So, no Kill La Kill ones?

Ofc there are! Google is your friend and you probably just found that ;)

But in case you haven't...

Ryuko Matoi

More Ryuko Matoi

Satsuki

More Kill la Kill

Nice! Really like the Lady Satsuki cosplay. Would love to do something like that in the future.

Kill La Kill sure has really cool costume designs. I really like the way it has a 70s art style to it for a contemporary anime. I have been meaning to go back and watch the rest.

I would really like to attend Comiket and the other Japanese anime/cosplay events for the experience. The cosplays always look stunning from the images around. As far as I know the cosplayers do have dressing rooms from watching documentaries.

I'd love to dress up as the teacher. It'd be funny.

Although, I don't like how people try and look 'anime'. It's really the plastic and the contrived hair. I'd dye my hair, and style it as much as I can, but I'd probably wear normal fabrics. I think plastic looks fake to be honest.

Oh, my first comment was a joke on the half-arsed aspect of Satsuki's character design :o.

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »
    I'd love to dress up as the teacher. It'd be funny.

Although, I don't like how people try and look 'anime'. It's really the plastic and the contrived hair. I'd dye my hair, and style it as much as I can, but I'd probably wear normal fabrics. I think plastic looks fake to be honest.

Majority of them use styled wigs to not spoil their own hair, GalwayGuy2.

Regarding the fabrics, they always try to use the ones that resemble the most with the ones used by the charas. She probably used latex and EVA foam to create her costume and after the retouches (painting and the sort) it gets that smooth/shiny/metallic effect proper of an armour. (Some might even use leather too.)

Cosplayers always try to be the most faithful they can be regarding the clothes, characteristics/ mannerisms of the ones they are impersonating.

Great to see this place buzzing a bit :D

Great to see this place buzzing a bit :D

Feedback is always a good energizer for any forum ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Hmm need something to watch. This was good:)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Hamatora just started and it looks promising so far. Could be the anime of this season, I hope it doesn't fall off the rails :P

• Advertisement

Cosplayers always try to be the most faithful they can be regarding the clothes, characteristics/ mannerisms of the ones they are impersonating.

Personally, I'd class it as a lot cause from the beginning. I'd rather look as much as the person as I can than a bad copy.

I probably would dye my hair, but only once. After that It'd destroy it.

I dyed my hair a dark red before and as much as I loved it, the quality of my hair deteriorated to such a point that I swear I'd never dye it again :/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Hamatora just started and it looks promising so far. Could be the anime of this season, I hope it doesn't fall off the rails :P

That was one of the series that caught my eye this season, pity its not got a UK stream so far (Animax and Wakanim still have to announce some this season). Could be back to good old torrenting when it ends :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Anybody got some nice looking films I could watch? Basically want something pretty like ghibli.
    I dyed my hair a dark red before and as much as I loved it, the quality of my hair deteriorated to such a point that I swear I'd never dye it again :/

I've seen so many people dye their hair so much that it is practically straw, it's the bleach that does that (permanent dying products). Hair dye that doesn't have that don't make it worse - peroxide free, and there are conditioning treatments afterwards you should do etc. Also natural ones like henna from lush are quite good and can improve your hair.

I get my hair coloured in the hairdressers, never used those home dye kits
    Anybody got some nice looking films I could watch? Basically want something pretty like ghibli.

Anything by Satoshi Kon, Mamoru Hosoda or Makoto Shinkai tickle your fancy?

The Wolf Children by Mamoru Hosoda is one of my favorites :)

I still haven't seen it :(

Konata wrote: »
    They don't really have "cons" here in the sense that we do, or in America etc. Comiket is just like a massive trade hall really - they've got the industry booths in one area selling lots of exclusive goods (though you had to queue for hours for each one if you wanted to buy anything!!) and then the other area is the main attraction of Comiket - the doujinshi sellers. Other than that there were just reams of cosplayers gathered outside the venue posing for people. There's no events, or games rooms, or screenings or panels or anything like that. It was certainly an experience though! Never seen so many people in one place haha! And the quality of the cosplays were just outstanding, not a half-arsed one in sight.

I don't actually know if there were seperate changing rooms or not sorry!
    That does sounds really interesting though! Events like that would be pretty much like a con, the highlights of a fan/follower of a genre. Did you go there for anything specific, or just general interest and to see how the Japanese people host an event?
    Nice! Really like the Lady Satsuki cosplay. Would love to do something like that in the future.

Kill La Kill sure has really cool costume designs. I really like the way it has a 70s art style to it for a contemporary anime. I have been meaning to go back and watch the rest.

I would really like to attend Comiket and the other Japanese anime/cosplay events for the experience. The cosplays always look stunning from the images around. As far as I know the cosplayers do have dressing rooms from watching documentaries.
    Wouldn't most cons in Ireland have some rules regarding the amount of visible skin? Lady Satsuki could be a very risque move for someone to cosplay, considering the amount of children/irritated parents/people less open to minimal clothing cosplays that might be present. It does look intricate.

I had a feeling that they have specific dressing rooms. It seems like a nice touch.

Its great that Miyazaki has come back out of retirement (again :P). Maybe we'll get a few more films from him before his definite departure from animation.

Wouldn't most cons in Ireland have some rules regarding the amount of visible skin? Lady Satsuki could be a very risque move for someone to cosplay, considering the amount of children/irritated parents/people less open to minimal clothing cosplays that might be present. It does look intricate.

That can easily be taken care of. Cosplayers only need to use a skin like suit for that.

Some cosplayers when cosplaying as Felicia from Darkstalkers used a flesh-colored jumpsuit and just had to add to fur to it ;)

• Advertisement

I get my hair coloured in the hairdressers, never used those home dye kits

Thanks I'll have a look to see are there some of those that I could do.
    Hesthea wrote: »
    The Wolf Children by Mamoru Hosoda is one of my favorites :)
    I still haven't seen it :(

Watch it, best film i saw last year. :)

Advertisement