Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boating chit chat thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,031 ✭✭✭✭neris

Stheno wrote: »
    Brrrr, it was rather chilly out there today :eek:

Try doing the brass monkeys, compared to some of the brass monkey races earlier this year yesterday was balmy

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

neris wrote: »
    Try doing the brass monkeys, compared to some of the brass monkey races earlier this year yesterday was balmy

I am :eek:

Yesterday, I'd two tshirts, two jumpers, two fleeces, and a sailing jacket on and was still cold :eek:

For the brass monkeys, I'm seriously considering at least another three layers.

No one I know would have recognised me yesterday with all the bulk :)

I'm planning on thermals, leggings, trousers, sailing trousers on bottom.
    Then thermals, base layer, three mid layers, two fleeces, jacket, sailing jacket on top :)

Just think of me as the Michelin man, rolling down Howth Marina :D

I am :eek:

Yesterday, I'd two tshirts, two jumpers, two fleeces, and a sailing jacket on and was still cold :eek:

For the brass monkeys, I'm seriously considering at least another three layers.

No one I know would have recognised me yesterday with all the bulk :)

I'm planning on thermals, leggings, trousers, sailing trousers on bottom.
    Then thermals, base layer, three mid layers, two fleeces, jacket, sailing jacket on top :)

Just think of me as the Michelin man, rolling down Howth Marina :D

A good hat is a must. not a cheap hat that falls around your face when its damp.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

neris wrote: »
    A good hat is a must. not a cheap hat that falls around your face when its damp.

I've been using a fleece thinsulate one the past two weeks, and it fits well, and is warm, doesn't seem to be affected by the damp over much. It also covers my ears :)

Does that sound like a good option or do people have other recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,774 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I've been using a fleece thinsulate one the past two weeks, and it fits well, and is warm, doesn't seem to be affected by the damp over much. It also covers my ears :)

Does that sound like a good option or do people have other recommendations?

As long as it doesn't fall off or stretch down over your eyes, whatever works for you is just fine!

I have every variety of hat - fur-lined trapper ones, fleece ones, thermal ones, woolly ones - but every time I wind up with the most ridiculous looking get-up - a fleece buff tied down tight, which holds every hair on my head in (I have very long hair) - the one thing I cannot stand is hair flapping in my eyes/face while sailing. My fellow-sailors have (very subtly, in fairness) tried to talk me out of it - but in all my years of sailing, nothing has been a more effective - if downright ugly - headpiece for me. So it wins, every time! Feck aesthetics.

I bought a pair of thermal trousers in Aldi today, with the thoughts of winter sailing in my head..... I've yet to try them on, and see if the wet gear will fit over them......

Just realised today that the Turkey Shoot starts Sunday week - hurray! Cannot wait :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Shackleton Death or Glory Tonight at 9pm on SKY Discovery http://tv.sky.com/showpage/shackleton Might be worth a watch.

fergal.b wrote: »
    Shackleton Death or Glory Tonight at 9pm on SKY Discovery http://tv.sky.com/showpage/shackleton Might be worth a watch.

That looks like seriously hard work :eek:

Missed the beginning - I'm assuming this is a recreation of the lifeboat journey to South Georgia after the ship was icebound?

Fair play to those guys - as mad as I am, not sure I'd be signing up for that one.....

ETA - oof - I recently experienced 50kts at sea, but in a modern cruiser that was up to the job. And which had autohelm, not two bits of baling twine :eek: In that dinghy??? No thanks!!!

Puts it all in perspective, really. Hats off to the real adventurers of those days.

ETA again - it's incredible how conditions at sea never really translate to photos or video!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

:D

Yez are all softies...

Going up an open ski lift in minus 12 with a 20kt headwind is cold, sailing in the winter isn't... I just wear the normal wet gear and it's fine! Sunday mornings in the winter in DB for some reason are either blown out or balmy, nowhere in between.. :D

Kidding aside, if you stay busy, you wont get cold. The worst thing is to wrap up so much that you sweat and this actually makes it worse. Breathable gear is essential in winter. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

i was out today during the brass monkeys, my god I froze.

3 long sleeved tshirts, a sweater, a fleece and sailing jacket on top.
    Leggings, trousers and sailing trousers on the bottom half.

Hat and gloves.

I still froze.

I'm now considering thermals and hot socks

Beautiful day for sailing though :)

• Advertisement

Hat and gloves.

I still froze.

Ah, it was beauuuuutiful out there today!!! Especially when we turned onto the run, it was positively balmy :D

Merino wool thermals is what you need - can't beat 'em. Keep an eye out for sales in Great Outdoors / 53 Degrees North etc, or Lidl/Aldi sometimes have them. I have lighter ones from Lidl or Aldi, and industrial weight Icebreaker ones for when we have to shovel snow and ice off the boat before casting off :D

Were you out in DL or Howth?

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Ah, it was beauuuuutiful out there today!!! Especially when we turned onto the run, it was positively balmy :D

Merino wool thermals is what you need - can't beat 'em. Keep an eye out for sales in Great Outdoors / 53 Degrees North etc, or Lidl/Aldi sometimes have them. I have lighter ones from Lidl or Aldi, and industrial weight Icebreaker ones for when we have to shovel snow and ice off the boat before casting off :D

Were you out in DL or Howth?

Howth, it was fricking freezing, boat coated in water/ melting ice, owner is selling his boat so I may be defecting to DL

It was gorgeous out there, at one point I lay down on the deck and closed my eyes, until my fellow evil crew threatened to roll me into the sea :D

From skipper "Stheno, are you asleep or just resting"
    Me: "Just resting"
    Other Crew "Shame, we could have rolled her in :D"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

From skipper "Stheno, are you asleep or just resting"
    Me: "Just resting"
    Other Crew "Shame, we could have rolled her in :D"

Had it happen, albeit from a pico...,

Hat and gloves.

I still froze.

dont know what part of howth you were in but we were peeling layers off going downwind. Was gorgeous today.

Try the cantebury long sleeve thermal tops under your tops & jackets and thermal leggings under jogging bottoms. Ski socks or if you want to splash out on socks seal skinz. Pricey but warm. From chain reaction cycles online. You should have no problem getting another boat in howth. Just check around or put an ad in the crew finder on hyc.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,897 ✭✭✭Vexorg

I have these http://www.force4.co.uk/6729/Gill-i5-Crosswind-Salopettes-Silver.html only used as an outer layer so far with a long sleeve thermal top. Have to agree with Neris about the sealskinz socks, there are great.

The only time the cold affects me is when my feet and hands are feeling cold and I am unwell , only happened when collecting the boat this year, so its worth investing in good socks and gloves and mid layers perhaps.

I can understand how you may feel the cold, so good breathable layers and keep the extremities warm as possible.

Regarding the merino wool thermals I know a lot of walkers who swear by merino wool thermals, do they require special washing? My sealskinz go in the wash with the rest of my gear and have not suffered yet.

Vexorg wrote: »
    I have these http://www.force4.co.uk/6729/Gill-i5-Crosswind-Salopettes-Silver.html only used as an outer layer so far with a long sleeve thermal top. Have to agree with Neris about the sealskinz socks, there are great.

The only time the cold affects me is when my feet and hands are feeling cold and I am unwell , only happened when collecting the boat this year, so its worth investing in good socks and gloves and mid layers perhaps.

I can understand how you may feel the cold, so good breathable layers and keep the extremities warm as possible.

Regarding the merino wool thermals I know a lot of walkers who swear by merino wool thermals, do they require special washing? My sealskinz go in the wash with the rest of my gear and have not suffered yet.
    Nope, into the washing machine with all the rest of the gear.

Plus, no matter how long you wear them for (I wore my heavy ones for 5 days and nights solid on the Round Ireland) they don't smell. I have no idea how this is, and I didn't believe my brother when he told me, but I can now attest that it is true :D

(I don't have any vested interest in merino wool btw - I wish I did, I'd have made a fortune :D)

I've also heard great things about sealskinz, but have yet to try them. Might ask Santa for a pair of socks!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Might be an idea for some of you :)

While I'm here if you have nothing to watch tonight "singlehanders" 1980 Observer Transatlantic race http://www.nfb.ca/film/singlehanders

1441533_10152088630533793_149833466_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Nope, into the washing machine with all the rest of the gear.
    Plus, no matter how long you wear them for (I wore my heavy ones for 5 days and nights solid on the Round Ireland) they don't smell. I have no idea how this is, and I didn't believe my brother when he told me, but I can now attest that it is true :D
    Merino wool is a natural ‘wick’ as one end of each fibre attracts water, the other dispels it. It’s warm because the fibres contain air cells – they also contain lanolin which anti-bacterial, thus killing the microbes/smellies in the fabric. (Which is why it smells nicer than anyone after five days unwashed :p)

Wool (especially merino) should be hand-washed in lukewarm water with very little soap. Friction, heat and strong detergent are the greaterst killers of wool garments, particularly good quality ones. Air dry, flat. Machine washing anything wool is A BAD IDEA. A drier murders wool. This seems 'high maintenance' but it not - for e.g. cotton has to be washed after every use, merino does not. (Don't want to get into the technicalities of why, just believe me ;))
    (I don't have any vested interest in merino wool btw - I wish I did, I'd have made a fortune :D)
    Methinks you’re a bit too young for that – The story of the Merino sheep is fascinating - they are a Spanish breed, highly prized for their wool for centuries and were closely guarded - death sentence for anyone who tried to export a merino from Spain prior to the mid 1700’s. Sir Joseph Banks got a few for George III c 1800 and some got to Oz via the Cape/South Africa. Good idea because the Napoleonic wars wiped out most of the flocks in Spain (Wellington’s troops lived off the land, as did most of Napoleon's :eek:).

I've had a headcold/sore throat for the past few weeks, occupational hazard for me, as I earn a crust talking to/at people five days a week, and when it builds up over a period my sinuses are affected.

Plus it was extremities, cold hands, feet and face, one I could cope with but all three slowly seeped the life out of me.

I've gotten new gloves, am thinking of hotsocks (dinghy sailors wear these) or sealskinz, dunno what to do about the face, my core was warm it was the extremities :)

Stupid question here, how do you guys wash your outer gear? I.e. your waterproofs? You don't just put them through the washing machine do you?

I've had a headcold/sore throat for the past few weeks, occupational hazard for me, as I earn a crust talking to/at people five days a week, and when it builds up over a period my sinuses are affected.

Plus it was extremities, cold hands, feet and face, one I could cope with but all three slowly seeped the life out of me.

I've gotten new gloves, am thinking of hotsocks (dinghy sailors wear these) or sealskinz, dunno what to do about the face, my core was warm it was the extremities :)

Stupid question here, how do you guys wash your outer gear? I.e. your waterproofs? You don't just put them through the washing machine do you?

I fill the bath with warm water and slosh the gear around, then shower it down with warm water, then line-dry. A couple of times a season keeps it from completely salting up.

Balaclava for your face???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,897 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Just had a look at the label in mine it says machine wash at 30°. I have washed non sailing waterproofs before some very regularly when they stated to let in a little water I washed with a rewaterproofer which worked a treat.

I fill the bath with warm water and slosh the gear around, then shower it down with warm water, then line-dry. A couple of times a season keeps it from completely salting up.

Balaclava for your face???

That's what I've been doing, and I'm thinking balaclava all right, I think in all fairness it was more the hands and feet, then the face got cold, so I'll see how it goes this weekend :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Just had a look at the label in mine it says machine wash at 30°. I have washed non sailing waterproofs before some very regularly when they stated to let in a little water I washed with a rewaterproofer which worked a treat.

Maybe once or twice per season I stick my stuff in a proper wash to get rid of that nauseating smelly boat odour that creeps in after a while. Foul jacket has held up remarkably for the last 8 years and is still in excellent nick. Sallopettes are maybe 4 years old and are literally disintegrating. Been leaky for a year and attempts at reproofing last year were fruitless. Can conclude that an occasional machine wash does little harm. It's the scooting around rough decks on knees or bum that wrecks the gear :(

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

That's what I've been doing, and I'm thinking balaclava all right, I think in all fairness it was more the hands and feet, then the face got cold, so I'll see how it goes this weekend :)

I got the balaclava out last weekend. It helps so much if the cold hits you hard like it does me.

Just as a matter of interest, I'm looking at getting new gloves. I'll need them for when I'm on rescue, so they don't need to be very grippy. I'm trying to get the balance right between warmth, grip and cost :pac: Would anyone have any suggestions?

Conchir wrote: »
    I got the balaclava out last weekend. It helps so much if the cold hits you hard like it does me.

Just as a matter of interest, I'm looking at getting new gloves. I'll need them for when I'm on rescue, so they don't need to be very grippy. I'm trying to get the balance right between warmth, grip and cost :pac: Would anyone have any suggestions?

Jaypers, for once I can give some advice!

I was on a down day today so had a nice trip to Sutton Dinghy Supplies and Union in Malahide.

I got a lovely pair of gloves, they are neoprene and called Gill 3 seasons gloves, I put them on, they are a lovely fit, very warm, and currently €28 in Sutton as they have a sale on and everything is 15% off if it is not on sale.

Don't know if that's too much for you, for me as a person who suffers dreadfully from the cold it was :)

They also have very long cuffs so go well past your wrist.

I also checked out thermals, and bought a couple of base layers today, cannot for the life of me find merino tops, I assume wool/angora is as good?

Those gloves look cosy alright, but I need my index finger and thumb out! Feel completely handicapped otherwise :D

For whoever it was who's on a rescue dinghy.... if you don't need grippy gloves at any instant moment, I find that sailing gloves with ski gloves on top work a treat. Mittens are even better! Obviously you can't leap for a rope in an emergency, so depending on the circumstances that solution may not suit. But if you will have time to whip off the outer layer of glove before doing whatever you have to do (I use this combination on nightwatches while delivering/cruising) then it works a treat.

Merino wool base layers.... I bought my heavy stuff in Great Outdoors, and I know 53 Degrees North have it as well. Icebreaker is the brand. I've no doubt you could get it online either. My light stuff I got in Lidl or Aldi (can't remember which). They often have it with their winter running gear or cycling gear or skiing stuff.

Those gloves look cosy alright, but I need my index finger and thumb out! Feel completely handicapped otherwise :D

For whoever it was who's on a rescue dinghy.... if you don't need grippy gloves at any instant moment, I find that sailing gloves with ski gloves on top work a treat. Mittens are even better! Obviously you can't leap for a rope in an emergency, so depending on the circumstances that solution may not suit. But if you will have time to whip off the outer layer of glove before doing whatever you have to do (I use this combination on nightwatches while delivering/cruising) then it works a treat.

Merino wool base layers.... I bought my heavy stuff in Great Outdoors, and I know 53 Degrees North have it as well. Icebreaker is the brand. I've no doubt you could get it online either. My light stuff I got in Lidl or Aldi (can't remember which). They often have it with their winter running gear or cycling gear or skiing stuff.
    I'll have a trip to 53 Degrees North in Blanch tomorrow so :D

I did check out ski gloves this week, but they were way too bulky and even in the likes of TKMaxx not worth it price wise compared to the ones I got :)

I like sailing too much to be put off by the damned cold!

Also saw some great balaclavas today, was my ears and neck that felt it and they fit the bill well :)

I'll be bankrupt soon!

I'll have a trip to 53 Degrees North in Blanch tomorrow so :D

I did check out ski gloves this week, but they were way too bulky and even in the likes of TKMaxx not worth it price wise compared to the ones I got :)

I like sailing too much to be put off by the damned cold!

Also saw some great balaclavas today, was my ears and neck that felt it and they fit the bill well :)

I'll be bankrupt soon!

I wasn't suggesting ski gloves for actual sailing! Never mind racing !!!

But for other purposes, again Lidl/aldi have served me well in the past - grand thinsulate thermal gloves and mittens for half nothing!

I wasn't suggesting ski gloves for actual sailing! Never mind racing !!!

But for other purposes, again Lidl/aldi have served me well in the past - grand thinsulate thermal gloves and mittens for half nothing!

This entire forum has turned me against Lidl/Aldi I started sailing in May and not one sailing thing have they done :D

I do love my thinsulate hat however :) Just now need what I think of as a snood, Halfords tonight had them, thinking of picking one up :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I got a pair of cycling gloves in LidAdli recently, they're really warm and are supposed to be waterproof, they're also are very grippy. I wouldn't pull a rope in them though, the rubber would probably melt into your hand but they'd be fine for driving or on the rail. :)

I got them mainly for winter rugby matches, haven't dropped a pint yet... :D

Advertisement