Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champix aka Chantix/Varenicline

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭DonnieL

Hi GerryOK1, I'm on day 16 without smokes and I was smoking 1 pk to a pk and a 1/2 a day depending on the circumstances. I've been off the smokes those 16 days with no stress what-so-ever.:) Just be patiient and make sure you eat something prior to taking your champix/chantix and you shouldn't have a problem. Welcome to our thread and feel free to chat at anytime!:pac: From what I understand from others in your area, Champix does not offer a support plan in Europe.

Well I guess Chantix was doing some system maintenance. They finally contacted me this afternoon with the following:

"Over the past few days, we've talked about ways that your health may be improving. Physically, you may feel better. Congratulations if you're already noticing a difference.

Today, we're going to talk about what you're avoiding by not smoking. We mean the thousands of chemicals in cigarette smoke. You may have known they were there. But you might be surprised how dangerous they can be.

Consider this
    As we've said, the smoke you breathe in from a cigarette is literally toxic. It even contains carbon monoxide. Those are the same fumes you find in car exhaust.

But here's an amazing fact: The smoke from the burning end of a cigarette can be even more dangerous than the smoke you inhale. That's sidestream smoke. Secondhand smoke is the smoke from the burning end of the cigarette plus the smoke breathed out by smokers. Concentrations of many cancer-causing and toxic chemicals may be higher in sidestream smoke. It contains more than 50 chemicals that can cause cancer.

Creating less of that secondhand smoke is good for everybody.

Additives that don't add up
    Many of the additives used in cigarettes are also in foods like sugar, chocolate, and cocoa. So they should be safe in cigarettes, right? They're not. These same flavorings might be no threat when eaten, but they can be quite harmful if smoked. Your lungs can't break them down in the same way, and new toxins can be created when they're burned. That makes additives double trouble.

Losing the toxins from cigarettes truly is your gain. But there are other gains as well. For today's activity, we'll count the ways you may already be better off."

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Poutbutton

dereksm wrote: »
    Chantix is one of those medicines which help in getting over smoking habit, but this medicine has some side effects as well. Person using chantix mainly encounter sleeplessness, change of taste and headache. So people should consult there physician before going for this medicine and a regular check needs to be there on the person having chantix. http://www.chantixhome.com/

Hi there & yes the drug can cause many side effects and for some very few, my experience of it has been fantastic but you are correct in stating that anyone who wants to use it would need to consult a doctor, you would want to be very foolish to take it without this prior health check as it does not suit everyone. For instance, people with a history of depressive disorders may react badly to Champix, it works on the nicotene receptors in the brain so for a person with a dopamine or serotonin imbalance, Champix could cause a negative reaction. Physicians can help deter people from using it in these circumstances. There are studies available online so the info is out there for people to make an informed decision. As far as I'm aware in Ireland anyway you can only get it with a prescription from a doctor. Personally I can only sing it's praises so far.

gerryok1 wrote: »
    Hey all, I have just been reading all your posts and good to see al the positive ones. am on day three of my .5mg and starting on my double dose tomorrow.
    Living in reland, is there any support site in EU which can help, like something similar to the US?

Hi gerryok1

Welcome to the Champix experience, stick with it if you can & this time next week you will be delighted. I quit on day 8 but I know a guy who quit on day 14 so it's totally up to you but if you are already loosing the taste for cigs I'd say you could quit on day 8. DonnieL told me "smoke while you can" on day 6/7 but I could'nt even finish the end of the pack, I sat and cut the remaining fags up that Sunday night! Something I would never have done if I was using patches or gum. The first morning of being off them, I thought 'd be mad for a smoke but no I did'nt get a craving til after lunch & the next one after dinner. It does get easier as the days go on. I'm not thinking about them as much now as I did the first 5 days.
    Always take Champix after a meal and with plenty of water, it causes nausea on an empty stomach & some people say they get heartburn too. Water helps seriously.
    I was nervous going on to the double dose too but it went fine, the first 3 days OFF the fags I did have an upset tummy & had to run to the loo a few times but then it settled down, I think it may have been the nicotene & toxins leaving my system so be prepared for that but as long as you are'nt feeling aggressive or depressed (in which case you need to see your doc QUICK!!) you should try to keep going.
    Some people have recorded video diaries on youtube so you can hear their experiences too.
    I'm 10 days off now & thrilled with how I feel, look & smell! Best of luck & pop in here to let us know how you get on. :)

Day 10 is just over & it was a fine day!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭celt262

Im starting day nine now and all is going good. If i was on nicotine patches i would be climbing the walls at this stage.

Great News "Celt"!! Keep up the good work! You should be feeling some physical differences by now.:D

GREAT! Here's the topic of the day from GETQUIT. The last paragraph is referring to a list you were suppose to make up in your first week as to why you're quitting smoking. Of course you can still do it. =^)

"You've heard the clichés: Rome wasn't built in a day. A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. But clichés are usually clichés because they're true. And it's true that, when quitting smoking, small victories can lead to bigger victories. So today let's make sure you recognize and celebrate the successes you've had so far. Even the ones that may seem minor.

Shift your thinking
    If you have a driver's license, you probably remember what it was like to learn how to drive. You had to practice. There were many different situations to encounter. Parking. Changing lanes. You needed time to learn them.

The same can be said for quitting smoking. You have to build up the skills and experience needed to handle different situations. So be patient. You've come a long way on the road to quitting. And if you stay strong and keep practicing your coping skills over time, you should get better and better at handling those tempting moments. We believe in you.

Building blocks for success
    Try this. Think of each day as helping you prepare for the next. Every day now, you're dealing with familiar situations - and even some new ones — without smoking. Any way you handle them, you learn something. Try to look at everyday successes as building blocks that are part of a bigger victory over cigarettes.

For instance, let's say you recently spent time with smokers at work on a break. But you didn't have a cigarette. Or let's say you ate a meal but didn't have your usual smoke afterward. Congratulations! These are not small accomplishments. They are big successes for the day, and you can build on them. Because now you can approach the same situations again knowing you got through them. And you know how you got through them.

Day by day. Urge by urge. Success by success. Even three weeks after your Quit Date, taking things moment by moment is still an effective strategy.

For today's activity, we'll look at your first building blocks for success. Your original reasons for quitting. Seeing them now may help you keep your focus as you move forward."

The tips are very good.

I found anoter youtube chantix diary of a guy who experiences extreme insomnia, 72 hours & no sleep! He finally gets past that stage & stays offthe smokes a year later. Here's the links:

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=XUr-ClIAxms

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=19XaI4kjUCM

Today I had some work in a homeless hostel, clients are allowed smoke indoors as it is their home. I sat for 40 minutes beside a woman who smoked her head off right beside me, it did not bother me one bit. The ashtray was full to the brim & each time she reached for another smoke I had no urge for one.
    I got back in my car and could smell the smoke off my coat. yuck. I cannot believe I'm this far along and not smoking. I too would be crawling the walls at this point had I used patches or gum, in fact I would'nt have got past day 4!
    roll on the weekend.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭celt262

Gerry,

When i starting taking them i didnt cut down atall, if anything i think i smoked more because i was thinking about them all the time. I had my mind set to stop on a Wednesday(day 8) but on the tuesday morning i only had 1 in a box and i decided this is it, im going to smoke this and be finished with them.

So what im saying is dont panic if you think they are not working stay positive and you will be fine.

• Advertisement

Good Morning! Well it's almost another weekend already.
    I thought you'd find today's GETQUIT topic apropos! =^)

"01/30/2009

This week is a great time to start building on the success you've had since your Quit Date. And making sure you're sleeping better is a perfect way to do that.

Most adults need seven to nine hours of sleep a night. So, let's help you get it.

Take a look at the tips below. If you're having trouble getting to sleep, try a couple of them and see what works for you. And even if you feel like you're sleeping well already, maybe can get even better.

Tips for improving your sleep Establish a pattern: Try to go to bed and wake up at the same time each day.
    Nap wisely: It might be refreshing, but naps are not substitutes for sleeping at night. If you nap, keep it short. About 30 minutes max. Longer naps might interfere with nighttime sleep.
    Watch your bedtime beverages: Avoid coffee and other caffeinated beverages 4 hours before bedtime. Alcohol may help you fall asleep, but it's not as restful a sleep, so it's not a good solution.
    Be sure to unwind: You'll sleep better if you're relaxed. Read a book. Listen to soothing music. Watch a little television. Whatever helps you unwind from the day.
    Eat light at night: Try not to eat in the hour or so before bed. You'll sleep better when you're not digesting a meal.
    Exercise: Physical activity helps you sleep better and fall asleep faster — but only if it's 2 hours or more before going to bed.
    Make your bed a sleep-only zone: Don't read or watch movies or TV in bed. Do those activities somewhere else. Train your body that bed is for sleep only.
    Apply the 15-minute rule: If you can't fall asleep within 15 minutes, get up and do something for a little while, like read the paper or another quiet activity that will make you drowsy. Then return to bed and try again.

Waking refreshed and ready to face the day is a great feeling. We hope these tips will help you get the best shut-eye possible."

Well it's Friday & I had my ultimate test, I spent an hour or so with one of my closest friends tonight in her home & she smoked about 4 cigarettes right in my face, it did'nt bother me one iddy little bit.This may not seem like much of a test to others but believe me it was. If I was ever going to be tempted to smoke around someone, this friend would be the one.
    I tolerated the smell until the last few moments when I began to get irritated by it and once again when I got into my car I could smell her smoke off me, I could even smell it off my hair. That is it I am convinced this is going to work longterm.
    I had another dream the other night that I remembered when I was with my friend, it was so vivid (Like Yours Donnie) that I dreamed I was with this same friend & we were sitting talking & having a drink, next thing I take one of her cigarettes & say "Look I can smoke this but I wont after wards..." I did, it tasted awful & then I woke up & was really annoyed at myself, how could I have been so lax to think I could have a smoke? I really was beating myself up about it! Then I realised it was a Champix Dream woohoo!
    I have rambled, sorry, but 1 great thing to come out of this.......my friend is now committed to giving champix a try RESULT!! :D

Congratulations! You've bagged a possible convert!! You should me a Missionary! L.O.L. :D

I haven't had the opportunity to be around any smokers up close and personal. As I mentioned before most of my friends are non-smokers. The only time I exposed my self was the time I sat in the patio at Starbucks among the smokers to see if it would bother me. It didn't even then..

Yea my friends all ask the same question "Well, have you exposed yourself to smokers yet", it's almost as if you should avoid them otherwise you will be tempted. I guess the doubters will just have to wait & see what it's like when they take Champix themselves. I know now I will avoid smokers but it's not because I'll be tempted to smoke it'll be because I cant stand the smell!

Hi! Hope you're having a great, smoke free, weekend! Here's Chantix's Point of the Day for 1/31/2009.:)

01/31/2009
    topic_tab_w4.gif
    It's the third week since your Quit Date. It's time to celebrate progress. All week we'll look at the ways your efforts are paying off, and the ways you can continue building on your success. [URL="javascript:toggleWeekSum(false)"]Close[/URL]

bdr_week_msg_bottom.gif
    topic_sum_w4.gif

[URL="javascript:toggleWeekSum(true)"]Details[/URL]

Welcome back, Donnie. This week, we've talked a lot about the many health benefits we hope you're enjoying since you stopped smoking. For the most part, we've talked about everyday changes. Or how much better your hair and clothes smell, for instance. How your habits are changing. They're all important. If you're noticing and feeling these benefits, that's great.
    But today is about something bigger. Because even though immediate benefits are rewarding, it's important to understand the long-term benefits of quitting smoking, too.
    Did you know that you're avoiding some major risks just by quitting? Quitting is the most important step you can take to reduce the risk of lung cancer and COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease). And if you have COPD, quitting is the best way to slow its progress. You're also putting less stress on your heart. We'll talk about some of the ways this can help your entire body.
    bdr_question_mark_top.gif
    Why?
    Are you more open to hearing about big health changes than you used to be? It's very possible. Before you chose to quit, details about cigarette dangers might not have had much of an impact on you. Maybe that was because you thought it would be too tough to quit. Maybe you didn't really want to think about the future. But things are different now.
    You're making progress. And knowing how your hard work could pay off down the road can be very motivating.

bdr_orange_bottom.gif

So, let's talk about some big news.

First of all, you're doing one of the smartest things a smoker can do to avoid COPD and cancer. You're quitting. Let's break down what that means.
    COPD stands for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. With it, the lungs are damaged, making it hard to breathe. COPD includes lung diseases such as emphysema and bronchitis. 80% - 90% of COPD cases are due to smoking. And the single most effective way to fight or avoid COPD is to simply quit smoking.
    At the same time, the risk of lung cancer due to smoking a pack of cigarettes is 100 times greater than the risk from any other type of air pollution.
    So by quitting, you're protecting your own health as well as the health of those around you.
    And there's more good news. Including news about your heart.
    • In about 48 hours after your last cigarette, the carbon monoxide level in your blood may return to normal. Carbon monoxide deprives the body of oxygen. And that makes the heart work harder. When this happens, your whole body gets tired, which can cause stress in many different areas. By quitting, you're avoiding this type of snowball effect.
    • About 2 weeks to 3 months after quitting, blood circulation may improve. Walking gets easier. Lung function can increase. You may already be experiencing these benefits.
    • In just 5 years without cigarettes, ex-smokers cut their risk of cancer of the mouth, larynx, and esophagus by half. That's a big improvement.
    We hope this information makes you feel good. We hope it helps you stay motivated about your decision to quit. Without cigarettes, you're doing great things for yourself every day. And you may be preventing big issues that could come up down the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Kahlan

I am another Irish girl about to take the leap into non - smoking territory! I am 29 and have smoked since the crazy age of 12. I gave up last year due to being in hospital with pneumonia but once I felt better I was back on them again. I have in the last few weeks come down with acid reflux which is ridiculously painful - this is something that much older people get - doctors have put it down to my smoking - I have actually caused myself to be in agony for the sake of a foul tasting and anti - social addiction. I went into my doctor needing something that will help me quit and she prescribed me Champix. I took the first one today and I have to say the idea of all the side effects are fairly scary but after reading through pages and pages of all of your journey through same, I have to say the fear is somewhat alleviated. So, here I am day one, still smoking but envisioning a day next week where I will not light up! Wish me luck! xxxx

Hi Kahlan, Welcome to the group! You won't be sorry. I'd been smoking for over 50 years and have all of what you described! Here in the U.S. it's Chantix and it's seems thus far like a "Miracle Drug". I think all of my counterparts such as Ms. Poutbutton will agree!! I was just ready to go to bed when I saw you're message and thought it was important to reply ASAP! Tomorrow is my 20th day nicotine free! I still enjoy my coffee in the morning and a cocktail in the evening with no urge for a smoke.. I've had virtually no side effects other than the vivid dreams which were actually pretty good ones!:) Monday I start my 4th week with no smokes! YOU CAN DO IT!!!!:D

Thank you for your speedy reply DonnieL it is much appreciated! It must feel amazing to be off the smokes for that long. (It seems like a scarily long time to me at the moment) Okay, so it is day 2 of the pill and I am still smoking but much like yourselves I have noticed that I am already smoking less, though I also question whether this is just me psychologically preparing myself for next week or whether it is the work of the wonderful Champix! :)

I had a dream last night that was very strange and involved Buddy Holly. This is very strange because with the exception of a movie I watched about ten years ago, I know nothing about the man. In the dream I knew him very well as a friend. He was also my age (even stranger). The dream was vaguely Christmas Carolish as I was whisked along with my good friend Buddy to various stages of my life and allowed a theatrical viewing of it. It wasn't very smoking related and the link between all the events was not clear. I have tried to figure out the meaning all day and I just have no idea so if you have any suggestions let me know!!!!

Anyway, I gotta go and do a pile of lesson plans for tomorrow, I look forward to hearing from you all!

xxxxx

Good Morning Kahlan! Well as you can pretty guess that if I'd been smoking for 50 years that I was around when Buddy Holly was performing ;)and remember the plane crash very well.:(

The first couple of weeks I had couple of vivid dreams equally as strange but they eventually subsided. Now when I dream it's usually that I'm smoking and wake up so relieved that it was just a dream and that I'm still clean.

The first week while I was smoking I felt the same way. The urge to have a smoke was deminishing. So it must be your Champix.:)
    Keep it up! You won't be sorry!

Hi Donnie Hi Kahlan & welcome on board! Congrats on choosing the wonder drug it is fantastic! Best of luck with it. The dreams are great, I've had 3 so far & all were unusual & so believable you feel like you are in realtime! I'm now 14 days off cigarettes I cant believe it and am so happy! I had a few drinks last night & yes I did get the urge for a smoke but it passed & I did'nt slip. 3 weeks Donnie well done! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

to all who've managed to give up during the course of this thread............fair play to ya.

DonnieL and Poutbutton special praise goes to you two for religiously posting and keeping people updated. I've just read it all in one sitting and i'm pleased you are keeping off them!

I've smoked for about 15 years now, apporx 20 - 25 per day, and have had several attempts to give up over the years. Now though, I'm determined! I'm doing at least 1 marathon this year so simply i HAVE to give up or I'll die somewhere around the 11 mile stage, I find the smoking is definitely interfering with my training etc and apart from that, smokes have gotten so damn expensive! :mad:

Can't use patches, I once had a pretty severe allergic reaction to them so its Been a toss up between Champix and hypnotherapy really. But reading this thread I'm thinking champix. I'm a nurse ( I know i know ) so I've read quite a bit of the material around it and seems like it'll work.

anyways, I'll post back when i get sorted, but til then Thanks again and keep up the good work lads!!!!

Hey Mystik Monkey! It's good to hear from you! Thanks for the praise. I tried hypnotherapy several years ago and it lasted about a week. I personally think that Chantix/Champix would be perfect for you. Confer with your physcian and if you get the prescription be sure that you take it with food. Plus they recommend a lot of water. Tomorrow I start my 4th week smoke free and, as you've probably seen by the thread, virtually no side effects! GIVE IT A GO!!

i'm a nurse dude.........i can always get the prescription!!!! ;)

Thanks for your kind words! We'll have you in the Champix grasp in no time LOL. Nothing worse than working in the health field and giving advice to people then sneaking out for a smoke yourself! I know the feeling, I work with children & families & I used to feel such a hypocrite as a smoker while trying to give kids a good impression. So now I can honestly say NO when asked if I smoke.
    The thread is growing all by itself, I had no idea there would be such a response & it's good to read back over sometimes to see how far along you are since quitting.
    I used to think I would try hypnosis & heard a tape of a guy once, you had to play it every day then as you needed it, I dont think it would have worked for me. He had a really strong Dublin accent & it sounded corny. (No offence meant I'm a Dub myself)
    I craved a smoke last night after a few drinks for a while, the flesh was weak for a moment or so, not sure if I'd have resisited had there been a pack lying around when I got home, still, there was'nt and that moment is gone! Phew! Well, best of luck if you do go for it, I cant think of any other replacement therapy, (Or not in the case of this drug as it's nicotene free) that is as good as Champix. :)

Hey everyone,

Poutbutton, thank you for your words of welcome, it is great that this exists, I can see that it will be a great source of support in the weeks ahead. I also work with kids as I am currently finishing my final teaching practice before entering into the big bad world AGAIN! I am a mature student. It truly is embarassing having to smoke like a teenager again, always careful in case a student walks around the corner. When I was a pupil I was afraid of the teacher walking around the corner, now the tables have turned!! Generally I have to be at least a mile away from the school before I think it is safe to light up and even then I am anxious as I do it!

Mystik Monkey, Get your prescription and start asap so that we can do this together mutually supporting one another. On a separate note, when I am finished tp I will def visit your forum on House - seriously one of the best shows out there at the moment. I study theology and there is actually a book in Easons that deals with the philosophical leanings of House. I flicked through it and thought seriously about buying it, but am broke student so stayed sensible!

DonnieL, what can I say - always a pleasure.

Talk tomorrow,

xxxx

Ooops! Sorry! It's just that in the U.S. only Physcians can prescribe medications.

DonnieL wrote: »
    Ooops! Sorry! It's just that in the U.S. only Physcians can prescribe medications.
    Hey DonnieL, it is the same here, doctors only prescribe, I am sure that what Mystik Monkey means is that he/she has the contacts and the know how to get that prescription!!!!!!

So that's why they're called Naughty Nurses LOL. Tut Tut. Yes even nursies should get checked by a GP just in case! Gotta keep the thread legal! :D

Kahlan, in a weeks time all that sneaking around will be a thing of the past, no more stinky clothes or hair and arranging your entire day around having a fag. You will be so happy with your efforts.

:o Okay, I am not often wrong but I have just discovered that nurses in Ireland can prescribe. I don't know whether there are limits (I am sure there are) and I presume you can't prescribe for yourself. There was recent legislation brought in, I don't think that all nurses are trained in yet. Perhaps Mystik Monkey can better inform us!!!

And yes, I can't wait to be completely unsmelly again!!!! After the pneumonia I remember thinking that I would never smoke because I could smell my friends who smoked and it just is not nice!

• Advertisement

Poutbutton wrote: »
    So that's why they're called Naughty Nurses LOL. Tut Tut. Yes even nursies should get checked by a GP just in case! Gotta keep the thread legal! :D

Kahlan, in a weeks time all that sneaking around will be a thing of the past, no more stinky clothes or hair and arranging your entire day around having a fag. You will be so happy with your efforts.

i hope your not referring to me with comment!!!!! :eek:

i have a mate whose a GP so i'm sure she'll sort me out with a quick check over and a script. She owes me a few at this stage from the time she was a lowly intern on the ward i worked on and i was a very nice nurse to her.......coulda been cos she was hot.........or maybe i'm just a nice bloke :p

as for nurses prescribing, yes some have been through the course so far, but they can only prescribe within their area of speciality, e.g sexual health, diabetes etc and not just random stuff that they wouldn't normally get involved in like champix or morphine, though of course if you looked hard enough you could probably find a nurse presriber whose normal remit fell into those realms

Advertisement