Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Hardware for a low-power Linux device?

• 05-03-2019 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, looking for some thoughts/suggestions if you have any for me!

I have a Windows10 laptop I use to work from home, but as it's a work device and managed by the company, I'd prefer not to use it for personal use (as a DLNA server, holding personal files, photos, videos etc.). I built an Ubuntu Desktop virtual machine running within HyperV on the laptop, configured minidlna on that and it actually served my purposes very nicely (streaming to the TV over the home network, and the odd bit of Linux testing stuff for work). The laptop is getting a bit old though, so the extra load of the VM running made it a bit sluggish and turning the VM on/off regularly isn't ideal :).

I have a modern Samsung 50" UHD TV and am happy with the interface/capabilities of it, so not necessarily looking for something that plugs directly into the TV over HDMI.

In short, I'd like to run Ubuntu Desktop on a piece of hardware that is capable of streaming 4K smoothly over the network, but that I can leave running 24x7 and not feel I'm spending a fortune on electricity or just generally wasting energy.

Have a few AC Ubiquiti APs around the house, but also CAT5 cabled so device can connect over either.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,979 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

My thought is that the actual streaming can easily be handled by low end devices running a stripped down OS (JeOS - Just enough Operating System) for the work at hand.
    In that regard I distribute HD live TV around the house, on Cat5e, using such hardware and software, as well as other media files, including camera stream. It does stream UHD Live demo TV channels, although I do not have the hardware to handle that easily at this time, to display it.
    So if there is no transcoding involved something low end like a R-Pi or an Android box that can be used with a suitable Linux distro would probably suffice.

For desktop use I have something much more powerful and completely separate.

You might consider separating the functions .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Emby offers all you need for a home media and live TV streaming setup. You could install the server on Ubuntu (Ubuntu server if you're up to some cli) and use the apps or web browsers to connect to it.
    https://emby.media/
    Emby - The open media solution

As for hardware you don't really need anything powerful for direct playing inside your home. I would recommend you buy something decent like an Intel Nuc though to be futureproof. Emby offers transcoding which can be handy to access all your media in a lower streamable quality when away from home, share your library with friends and family even

Advertisement