Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Mahoney RIP

• 06-02-2018 12:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭

Just heard he died. Very sad to hear. A frequent visitor to Galway and the blue collar to Frasier and Niles’ starched whites on Frasier.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Oh man. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Pocaide

Sad to hear that rip.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,265 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

How come he died, he looked healthy in Frasier.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

Goodnight Seattle John, we love you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

First celeb death for a while where I did the audible 'ah nooooo ' upon hearing about. Second only to niles as the best character on the show. Always hoped for a reunion of some sort for frasier. Very sad to hear this news. My desert island box set. Never gets old. Raise a can of ballentines to u tonight marty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭minibear

So sad. I loved him in Frasier, and Primal Fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

How come he died, he looked healthy in Frasier.
    Think you're in the wrong thread fella ....Mrs brown calibre humour is elsewhere. You'd be lost watching frasier.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

So sad.
    Im half way through the frasier box set i got for Christmas. He is fantastic in it. They all are but some of his comments and expressions are hilarious.
    Rip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Have to say though, I was a bit shocked to find out a while back that he was only 53 at the start of Frasier. He looked way older, retirement age at the very least! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,840 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Just heard he died. Very sad to hear. A frequent visitor to Galway and the blue collar to Frasier and Niles’ starched whites on Frasier.

G'way outta that. Sure Galway won two All-Irelands under the fucker. Couldn't do feck all for Mayo though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Have to say though, I was a bit shocked to find out a while back that he was only 53 at the start of Frasier. He looked way older, retirement age at the very least! :eek:

That's how good he was at getting into character.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Very sad to hear this. He was hilarious in the role. I always remember the episode when Fraser was stressing about getting older and shouted to Martin about how his life was over, now that he was middle aged. Martin turns around and says,' Well how do you think I feel having a middle aged son?!' :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

My heart sank when I saw this too. Frasier is one of my favourite sitcoms and he was fantastic as Martin Crane. He brought a real warmth dignity and depth to a character who could have been a cheap counterpoint to the two sons. I can't say I'm familiar with of his other work. I saw him in supporting roles in a couple of films but they weren't a patch on his work in Frasier. Maybe it sucks more when a person who has made you laugh dies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭JackTaylorFan

Thanks for the laughs, John

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Frasier

My favourite programme of all time (as you can tell from my user name). I must have seen them all at least 10 times. Wasn't gone on Martin for the first few episodes, but he turned out to be my favourite. Sad day (And on my birthday too!) - great memories though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Like previous posters, the first celebrity death in a long time that I actually said ‘ah no’ out loud. Absolutely love Frasier, best sit com ever IMHO. Stands up very well to multiple rewatches and has aged very well (hard to believe it started 1/4 of a century ago!) It was a rare comedy in that it combined very smart humour with slapstick comedy and traditional style comedy of errors. A big part of the success of the show for me was the actors. They gave warmth and depth to characters that could very easily have become one dimensional and irritating. By rights we should have hated Frasier and Niles, they were elitist, snobby, priggish and rude at times. Yet it’s testimony to the actors that we came to love them. Likewise with John Mahoney, he took a curmudgeonly old man character and transformed him into a loveable crank with real depth. You were so happy when he remarried at the end, you felt like it was your own family!

I’ll be watching Frasier tonight, hope John Mahoney is relaxing in the big lazyboy in the sky. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭optogirl

This has made me so sad. My husband is always slagging me cos when talking about Frasier I always call him 'Dad'. 'Do you mean Martin Optogirl? Oh yeah, I mean Martin....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

One of my favourite characters ever, just another reason to go back and rewatch the series for what must be the 15th time at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's funny what white hair and pretending to walk with a cane, can do to change your perspective on a character/person.

Mahoney was only 54 when he started on Frasier, just 16 years older than Grammer, yet you'd be forgiven for thinking he was a retired man in his late 60's.

Ditch the cane and lightly dye his hair a bit darker and it could easily have been a sitcom about 3 40-something single men trying to make it in life; a male Golden Girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,171 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

So sad he was excellent as Frasiers dad Marty Crane i still enjoy watching Frasier today an absolute classic.

He had such as lovely quality about him in Frasier. The combination of a twinkle and an impish grin, and you have one of the most likable people on tv. I love that show, I could watch it any number of times and still not get fed up with it, and Martin was my favorite character (apart from Eddy).

A great show and a great actor in a great part. I'll have a twinge in my heart when I see him on screen next. R.I.P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

_Dara_ wrote: »

Well he was playing a decade, at least, older than his real age. In reality he was middle aged when the kids were.

Sad news. He always looked very healthy last time I saw him interviewed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Here’s a great piece from the New Stateman about how the theme of the show was really the relationship between Martin and Frasier, which was pretty hostile to begin with. And what is gained or lost by moving social classes. The famous chair stands at the centre of their relationship. Worth a read.

https://www.newstatesman.com/culture/tv-radio/2017/08/martin-cranes-hideous-chair-was-true-star-frasier?amp

• Registered Users Posts: 17,822 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

just noticed Eddie passed away in 2006

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 10,913 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

That episode where Frasier hosted a "heroes" themed fancy-dress party and Niles arrived dressed up as Martin was equally hilarious and touching.

The best sitcom of all-time in my view, and John was an integral part of it. His simple life of a few cans of Ballantine, or a few pints down at Dukes, with Eddie as his best friend, was far removed from the opera/sherry/fine-dining lifestyle of the two lads :D

I shall definitely binge-watch a few episodes when I have time. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

He was the heart of the show and a huge part of why it was so loved. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Eddie and Martin, what a double act.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭briany

I....am....wounded!

Great Frasier line, and sums up how I feel about this sad news. I didn't know too much else of Mahoney's work, but played a fantastic role in one of my all-time favourite sitcoms.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

briany wrote: »
    I....am....wounded!

I actually heard that in my head :D

I remember looking at a bloopers real before and pretty sure that one took a few takes because they all laughed so much :D

Advertisement