Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Weinstein scandal (Mod warning in op.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭NI24

http://www.vulture.com/2018/01/tessa-thompson-walks-back-criticism-of-lena-dunham.html

Lena Dunham's in the 'TimesUp' movement?  But she's a molester, and rape defender. And its noticeable that the
    'Non white' ladies are being treated like crud.

The Times Up movement is already falling apart. Im even reminded of how the 'Gun Control' movement, despite the shooting of Gabby Giffords 7 years ago, fell to pieces within months.
    The statement Dunham made when the writer on Girls was accused was clumsy, but the idea behind it was probably the most well meaning and decent thing she's shown since I've become aware of her. There isn't anything wrong with supporting a friend who has been accused of a horrific crime and I'd like to think that any of us would do the same for a friend instead of throwing them underneath the bus. The problem is that Lena should have kept it to herself instead of issuing such a bizarre statement.

The problem with the movement is the same with any movement without one coherent voice; the bigger it gets, the more it splinters into sub groups who comandeer the message and define it differently.
    I completely agree.  For the first time I had respect for the little pebble pusher.  Then her friend's lawyers claimed the victim was shaking them down for money and subsequently retracted that claim and I went back to disgust.  You don't defend friends like that. 
    Incidentally, my sister was going through her old fashion magazines and came upon an article about the guy's wedding to his wife.  Apparently Lena did an interpretive dance at their wedding.  She must have had to pay them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,274 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

_Dara_ wrote: »
    I’ve avoided most of the Golden Globes coverage because... vom. Is it true that there was no mention of male victims? :(

I only watched Oprah’s speech on mute. She’s a consummate populist. I just... can’t. But the standing ovation at the end. Barf. Especially hurts to see actors I love like Frances McDormand and Sam Rockwell getting involved in the back-slapping. Nooooo! :(

If you count one joke made at Kevin Spacey's expense, yep, nothing. Wasn't even anything made about 'Hollywood's fave perviest uncle George Takei' (His words, btw) but then again he's hardly Hollywood anymore-he's more a twitter persona nowadays, and since the allegation against him, even that is fading out.
    NI24 wrote: »
    There have been dozens of post lambasting Meryl and Rose for what they did or didn't do and a handful denouncing the men.  I see reality.

Look at the title-Weinstein is the one whose getting bashed the most. But to my recollection, besides Weinstein, Matt Damon, Ben Affleck, Kevin Spacey, Dustin Hoffman, Dan Schneider, Danny Masterson, John Travolta, Bryan Singer, Brett Ratner, James Franco, Woody Allen, JAmes Woods, Max Landis, Eddie Berganza (comic book editor) etc have been blasted on these boards (the latter probably not as much as others).

Rose and Meryl have gotten coverage in the last few pages, but hardly the entirety.

Apparently Lena Dunham isn't in the TimesUp initiative, she turned up for a photo op. That's why Tessa Thomson called her out.

https://nylon.com/articles/tessa-thompson-times-up-campaign

_Dara_ wrote: »
    I’ve avoided most of the Golden Globes coverage because... vom. Is it true that there was no mention of male victims? :(

I only watched Oprah’s speech on mute. She’s a consummate populist. I just... can’t. But the standing ovation at the end. Barf. Especially hurts to see actors I love like Frances McDormand and Sam Rockwell getting involved in the back-slapping. Nooooo! :(

If you count one joke made at Kevin Spacey's expense, yep, nothing.  Wasn't even anything made about 'Hollywood's fave perviest uncle George Takei' (His words, btw) but then again he's hardly Hollywood anymore-he's more a twitter persona nowadays, and since the allegation against him, even that is fading out.
    There have been dozens of post lambasting Meryl and Rose for what they did or didn't do and a handful denouncing the men.  I see reality.

Look at the title-Weinstein is the one whose getting bashed the most.  But to my recollection, Matt Damon, Ben Affleck, Kevin Spacey, Dustin Hoffman, Dan Schneider, Danny Masterson, John Travolta, Bryan Singer, Brett Ratner, James Franco, Woody Allen, JAmes Woods, Max Landis, Eddie Berganza (comic book editor) etc have been blasted on these boards (the latter probably not as much as others).

Rose and Meryl have gotten coverage in the last few pages, but hardly the entirety.
    Most of those men aren't silent and complicit (like Meryl); they (supposedly) actively committed crimes against women.  I'm talking about the men who worked with Weinstein.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Most of those men aren't silent and complicit (like Meryl); they (supposedly) actively committed crimes against women.  I'm talking about the men who worked with Weinstein.

Then look at the Tarantino, Clooney posts-Tarantino's career is so over, he's having to resort to doing a Star Trek movie. Without the Weinsteins, he's done.

Also, look at the praise people gave Jessica Chastain for calling out Bryan Singer-not even worried if she never acts again.

Yeah, the feminists on twitter are already lambasting her...cos she has 'white privilege'. Ugh, that phrase, it's like they have nothing else up their sleeve.
    And ask em to explain it, they got nothing.

Dylan Farrow's calling out the posers, which there are many of.

https://www.themarysue.com/when-is-woody-allens-time-up/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I certainly lambasted them and guys like Brad Pitt who had two exes "approached" by Harvey and he said nothing and did nothing to point him out.

Not just men BTW, Miramax had a lot of women working there too and a few have since come forward saying they were aware of sleazy goings on. They kept silent too.
    I can see a backlash coming. Monsters like Harvey need to be exposed and that's a gaol society should set, but the attention seeking that has coasted in on the back of that goal, particularly from celeb talking heads will start to make people question more.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Yeah, the feminists on twitter are already lambasting her...cos she has 'white privilege'.  Ugh, that phrase, it's like they have nothing else up their sleeve.
    Are they lambasting her for going on French TV this year to defend Roman Polanski?  Are they lambasting her for defending him at a retrospective of his work?  According to her, the attacks against him made her "not proud to be a woman".

Yeah, the feminists on twitter are already lambasting her...cos she has 'white privilege'.  Ugh, that phrase, it's like they have nothing else up their sleeve.
    Are they lambasting her for going on French TV this year to defend Roman Polanski?  Are they lambasting her for defending him at a retrospective of his work?  According to her, the attacks against him made her "not proud to be a woman".

Wibbs wrote: »
    I can see a backlash coming. Monsters like Harvey need to be exposed and that's a gaol society should set, but the attention seeking that has coasted in on the back of that goal, particularly from celeb talking heads will start to make people question more.
    With such movements there is always a risk, perhaps an inevitability, that it will go too far and have unintended consequences. In this open letter these French women are warning against a new sexual puritanism and defending the right to attempt to seduce, even clumsily. It's a ballsy move in the current climate you have to say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Catherine Deneuve can **** right off, trying to "steal a kiss" or grope is an assault. If she has longings for days past she can always hire someone to "persistently and clumsily seduce" her at work. I for one do not wish to live in a Mad Men world.

• Advertisement

Hollywood is a glass house, where everyohe is afraid to throw stones.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

They should be. I would. Just another celeb out of touch with reality.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

How many couples met in the workplace? Should this practice be illegal?

"Surprise" gropes and kisses Deneuve describes are illegal. It's harassment.

strandroad wrote: »
    "Surprise" gropes and kisses Deneuve describes are illegal. It's harassment.

That's not what my post was addressing

That's not what my post was addressing

But that's what Deneuve understands as "hitting on". It's not asking someone out for coffee and getting a yes or a no. It's physical attempts.

But that's what Deneuve understands as "hitting on". It's not asking someone out for coffee and getting a yes or a no. It's physical attempts.
    Playing devil's advocate here but Deneuve's preference as a woman seems to be the prospect of unsolicited clandestine touchy advances. It's about choices. She chooses to live like that and found at least 100 other French women to sign up!

*HR department note: I do not support unsolicited clandestine touchy advances in the workplace

• Registered Users Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭seenitall

I'd bet it's been a good while since anybody attempted to "hit on" Deneuve, as she understands it. (And no, not because "she's an old hag", but because of her iconic status in France.)

She was young in a completely different era, and in France to boot. What we consider dangerous sexual harassment now, was actually deemed merely clumsy attempts at seduction then - it was a very chauvinistic society by present-day standards.

She probably just forgot that time has (supposedly ;) ) moved on since the days of her being a young actress having to physically fend off every perv with any amount of power in the film industry. Which given the pervading culture of the time, she probably considered just a part of the job.

Playing devil's advocate here but Deneuve's preference as a woman seems to be the prospect of unsolicited clandestine touchy advances. It's about choices. She chooses to live like that and found at least 100 other French women to sign up!

Lovely but it's the kind of preference that is best resolved by finding someone who shares the same kink, or a professional :)
    Not by advocating it to be a standard for everyone.
    It's just like spanking!

seenitall wrote: »
    I'd bet it's been a good while since anybody attempted to "hit on" Deneuve, as she understands it. (And no, not because "she's an old hag", but because of her iconic status in France.)

She was young in a completely different era, and in France to boot. What we consider dangerous sexual harassment now, was actually deemed merely clumsy attempts at seduction then - it was a very chauvinistic society by present-day standards.

She probably just forgot that time has (supposedly ;) ) moved on since the days of her being a young actress having to physically fend off every perv with any amount of power in the film industry. Which given the pervading culture of the time, she probably considered just a part of the job.

So in short you're using internalised misogyny as an excuse. She's not allowed an opinion, one which 100 other women share. Okayyyy...

My grandmother lived to be a 100, she changed her attitude toward things very often during her life, adapting with the times and changing her attitude as she learned and experienced changes in the world.
    Deneuve has been at the forefront of feminism, long before most of these ladies who denounce her now were even born.
    Shes the one who said 'A woman has to be intelligent, have charm, a sense of humor, and be kind. It's the same qualities I require from a man.'
    What they are angry about is over a 100 women, and many more who did not sign, are not cowtowing to their whims. That the 'Timesup' and 'Metoo' Movements are young, and already falling apart is what's been taken away from this.
    There is a difference between sexual harassment and flirting. We all know the difference. But empirical feminists see no difference.
    And just as an example, why did so few women come forward to defend Tessa Thomson, a woman of colour, when she was essentially forced to apologise to Lena Dunham for a genuine grievance? Its the usual blinkers on.

My grandmother lived to be a 100, she changed her attitude toward things very often during her life, adapting with the times and changing her attitude as she learned and experienced changes in the world.
    Deneuve has been at the forefront of feminism, long before most of these ladies who denounce her now were even born.
    Shes the one who said 'A woman has to be intelligent, have charm, a sense of humor, and be kind. It's the same qualities I require from a man.'
    What they are angry about is over a 100 women, and many more who did not sign, are not cowtowing to their whims. That the 'Timesup' and 'Metoo' Movements are young, and already falling apart is what's been taken away from this.
    There is a difference between sexual harassment and flirting. We all know the difference. But empirical feminists see no difference.
    And just as an example, why did so few women come forward to defend Tessa Thomson, a woman of colour, when she was essentially forced to apologise to Lena Dunham for a genuine grievance? Its the usual blinkers on.

Are you serious?  She can have any opinion she wants but there's no doubt she's a product of her culture and time.  If she says stupid things, she's going to get criticized.  If she and 100 other women want to kiss the butt of creeps, then good riddance to bad rubbish.  She obviously doesn't understand the difference between flirting and harassment.  In conclusion, she's wrong wrong wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

One question does arise about this let's wear black "protest" at the Golden Globes. Why didn't the women boycott it en masse? Do similar with the Oscars. Go off and book a room somewhere else that same night. That would send a clear signal they actually wanted change. But then they wouldn't get their face and fashion choices and "bravery" splashed across the wires. I don't think it would even occur to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭seenitall

So in short you're using internalised misogyny as an excuse. She's not allowed an opinion, one which 100 other women share. Okayyyy...

So, in short, as per Deneuve, a 100 other women, your grandmother and yourself - "trying to steal a kiss" is not sexual harassment. Okaaaay yourself. Only I don't know what all the fuss in Hollywood is about then. Poor misunderstood Harvey, he was only clumsily flirting after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,197 ✭✭✭✭Penn

One question does arise about this let's wear black "protest" at the Golden Globes. Why didn't the women boycott it en masse? Do similar with the Oscars. Go off and book a room somewhere else that same night. That would send a clear signal they actually wanted change. But then they wouldn't get their face and fashion choices and "bravery" splashed across the wires. I don't think it would even occur to them.

I think that would be fairly contrary to what they're trying to achieve though. They want to be seen, they want their pictures in the papers and they want articles about how they wore black because a big point they're trying to make is that it needs to be talked about. It needs to be visible. That they shouldn't have to hide. Many of them also brought women's rights activists as their guests, and many in their interviews on the red carpet vocalised issues such as calling out E! directly for a female presenter who left because her male co-presenter was getting paid far more than her for the same job.

There are many forms of protest, and boycotting it would have obviously been a viable one. But I don't think there's an issue with the way they did go about it. It's having their cake and eating it too in many regards, but I don't think it's an issue.

To voluntarily remove themselves and give field to who wanted them removed, blackballed or controlled? That's illogical.
    What I would like to see is the exact opposite, the likes of Sorvino or Judd or Rapp or Sciorra invited and speaking, showing that they are still in the fold. I didn't follow the event and don't know if they were there, but they should. Perhaps they didn't want to.

Penn wrote: »
    I think that would be fairly contrary to what they're trying to achieve though. They want to be seen, they want their pictures in the papers and they want articles about how they wore black because a big point they're trying to make is that it needs to be talked about. It needs to be visible. That they shouldn't have to hide.
    That's why I added the bit about holding their own get together.
    What I would like to see is the exact opposite, the likes of Sorvino or Judd or Rapp or Sciorra invited and speaking, showing that they are still in the fold. I didn't follow the event and don't know if they were there, but they should. Perhaps they didn't want to.
    IIRC Judd was there, well she'll turn up to any protest she agrees with. Never mind she's a bit "troubled". This is the same Judd that has compared that eejit Trump winning the presidency to her being molested as a child and that the Trump result was worse. :rolleyes: Don;t think the other names were there. I'd imagine if they were they'd be front and centre in the pics of the event.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I wondered that too, but on another forum saw the point being made that this was an awards ceremony for their work too so why should they miss out on that due to the actions of others.

That said, the black dresses thing seemed to me to be little more than a Facebook temporary filter to virtue signal and in reality doing very little to change the actual problem. And the gesture lost any credibility when all those in the black dresses stood up for a standing ovation for Kirk Douglas, and applauded James Franco and other men on the night who have similar allegations to the ones Spacey and Weinstein faced.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,788 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

To voluntarily remove themselves and give field to who wanted them removed, blackballed or controlled? That's illogical.

Ashley Judd was at the Globes but not sure if she was ever on stage though

• Registered Users Posts: 11,836 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

http://www.vulture.com/2018/01/tessa-thompson-walks-back-criticism-of-lena-dunham.html

Lena Dunham's in the 'TimesUp' movement? But she's a molester, and rape defender. And its noticeable that the
    'Non white' ladies are being treated like crud.

The Times Up movement is already falling apart. Im even reminded of how the 'Gun Control' movement, despite the shooting of Gabby Giffords 7 years ago, fell to pieces within months.

I'm thinking more along the lines of other movements which originated on/gained traction through Twitter, such as #Occupy or #Black(/insert minority group here)LivesMatter. The extremes of those movements (communists/anarchists for the former, Mugabe Did Nothing Wrong/Fuck White People-types for the latter) got amplified by their opponents and the moderates melted away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Neyite wrote: »
    I wondered that too, but on another forum saw the point being made that this was an awards ceremony for their work too so why should they miss out on that due to the actions of others.

That said, the black dresses thing seemed to me to be little more than a Facebook temporary filter to virtue signal and in reality doing very little to change the actual problem. And the gesture lost any credibility when all those in the black dresses stood up for a standing ovation for Kirk Douglas, and applauded James Franco and other men on the night who have similar allegations to the ones Spacey and Weinstein faced.

Could people have been clueless about the Douglas allegations when giving him a standing ovation? - I'll admit to not knowing anything about it until I heard people giving out about it on Twitter. And, like I said already, all I've seen is an accusation by anonymous poster on a gossip website. Has there been anything concrete said about him or any actual accusations made against Douglas?

Advertisement