Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you were dictator of Ireland

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Courtesy of Johnny Taxpayer.

Yes. A strong and well funded public service broadcaster is more important than ever in the era of online advertising dictating public opinion, fake news, outrage culture, and social media. 300 per tax payer would sound reasonable - deducted at source to ensure compliance.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I would pedestrianise all city and town centers in Ireland. CPO lots of land for native forests. Build a bloody metro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

quintana76 wrote: »
    Tubbs is looking a bit peekey on his 6ooooo (approx) grand. Another hundred grand should be enough to get him a square meal. We don't want him to fade away completely.
    Yes, we do. We actually do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Everyone has a role.
    If you're not employed or on disability ( serious disability) you work for the community. Maintaining local greens,parks, roads, buildings. etc. Caring for the elderly, working in hospices, childcare centres, hospitals etc.

Large state-run, state owned house building projects for affordable homes.

State run car and home insurance.

Free education from preschool to university.
    Reform of the education system. Complete overhaul of the Leaving Cert.
    Centralised list for curriculum and book lists etc
    No more changing books every year. Everyone learns from the same material. Everyone gets the same funding and opportunity. To
    No more private education.
    More emphasis on apprenticeships for trades.
    More emphasis on healthier living and lifestyle with more physical ed. and cooking classes from primary right through to LC

Reform and updating of all law's.

Reform army, navy and gardai to one national body overseeing state security, border control, etc.

More prisons, longer sentences.

Everyone is equal, but everyone is equally responsible. No blaming social class, ethnic or cultural background. No getting an easier ride whether you come from a privileged or disadvantaged background.

Reform of political bodies.
    Abolish the Seanad. Smaller Dail. Reform of local council's. Amalgamation of urban and rural council's. People's council's to create a new constitution.

HSE to be reformed with a central control and funding body. One central supply for all medical equipment, medication etc. Free training for doctors, nurses etc if they agree to 10 year contracts in hospitals/ clinics. Otherwise, pay in full. Break your contact, pay in full.
    No private healthcare
    All healthcare to be free.

Reform of RTE. One tv and one radio station. Emphasis on news, current affairs and public interest coverage.
    Salary's capped at €60000.

Taking back control of all oil, gas and other natural resources. Use the revenue to fund a switch to renewable energy sources and energy efficient homes.

Better public transport, bike lanes, etc so we can move away from private car ownership in urban areas.

And finally the creation of cycling tracks around the country, so we can finally rid the roads of those self important , lycra clad pr√¢ks hogging public roads up and down the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

Yes. A strong and well funded public service broadcaster is more important than ever in the era of online advertising dictating public opinion, fake news, outrage culture, and social media. 300 per tax payer would sound reasonable - deducted at source to ensure compliance.

Make an entire channel dedicated to hurling and il support it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Every able bodied adult getting staye payments under the age of 65 to be employed or work under specified rules and audit in the community - sweeping streets, emptying bins,planting shrubs, cleaning drains - no more handouts for the able bodied.

Handouts? What is PRSI for so?

If I lose my job and now get to sweep your street I would like my years of PRSI contributions back, thanks very much

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭jimmurt

Yeah. Sport is a much more essential life-skill than English; but again - what country are you planning on deporting people to...?

Any preferences yourself?

Why are you taking serious an obviously light hearted post?

It's a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

I would have Simon Harris cleaning bed pans in a hospital on 12 hour shift and 7 days a week, Leo digging graves with a pick and shovel 24/7 for the way he has treated cancer patients.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Get the Ok from Frau Merkel . It wouldn’t be a good idea to start by stepping on her toes .

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

As I dictator (in no particular order) I would:

1) Take on the insurance companies. I would give them a simple choice, fair premiums or a bullet in the head. Those that pursue fraudulent claims could expect similar justice.

2) Those that have paid rent for 5 years on time and in full have demonstrated an ability and willingness to pay. As such these tenants would be entitled to draw down a mortgage with repayments of up to 90% of their rent regardless of how much they have saved for a deposit. At all times it will be possible to hand back the property and be debt free.

3) Politicians can expect 21 days holidays (or thereabouts), similar pension entitlements etc. just like the rest of us.

4) Corporate and political crime would be taken seriously. Those that defraud the state or individuals can expect jail time.

5) Very lengthly chain gang sentences for persistent offenders, drug dealers, and those that commit violent crime. No more "suspended sentences", serving sentences "concurrently".

6) Dole / job seekers allowance must be earned unless deemed medically unfit.

7) Medical professionals, the Gardai, defence forces should be well paid so that we attract the cream of the crop.

8) All citizens would have the right to defend their home by any means. In the event that this results in the death of the intruder there will be no repercussions for the homeowner.

9) Impose the death sentence on those that attack the elderly.

.....and that's just for starters :D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Everyone has a role.
    If you're not employed or on disability ( serious disability) you work for the community. Maintaining local greens,parks, roads, buildings. etc. Caring for the elderly, working in hospices, childcare centres, hospitals etc.

Large state-run, state owned house building projects for affordable homes.

State run car and home insurance.

Free education from preschool to university.
    Reform of the education system. Complete overhaul of the Leaving Cert.
    Centralised list for curriculum and book lists etc
    No more changing books every year. Everyone learns from the same material. Everyone gets the same funding and opportunity. To
    No more private education.
    More emphasis on apprenticeships for trades.
    More emphasis on healthier living and lifestyle with more physical ed. and cooking classes from primary right through to LC

Reform and updating of all law's.

Reform army, navy and gardai to one national body overseeing state security, border control, etc.

More prisons, longer sentences.

Everyone is equal, but everyone is equally responsible. No blaming social class, ethnic or cultural background. No getting an easier ride whether you come from a privileged or disadvantaged background.

Reform of political bodies.
    Abolish the Seanad. Smaller Dail. Reform of local council's. Amalgamation of urban and rural council's. People's council's to create a new constitution.

HSE to be reformed with a central control and funding body. One central supply for all medical equipment, medication etc. Free training for doctors, nurses etc if they agree to 10 year contracts in hospitals/ clinics. Otherwise, pay in full. Break your contact, pay in full.
    No private healthcare
    All healthcare to be free.

Reform of RTE. One tv and one radio station. Emphasis on news, current affairs and public interest coverage.
    Salary's capped at €60000.

Taking back control of all oil, gas and other natural resources. Use the revenue to fund a switch to renewable energy sources and energy efficient homes.

Better public transport, bike lanes, etc so we can move away from private car ownership in urban areas.

And finally the creation of cycling tracks around the country, so we can finally rid the roads of those self important , lycra clad pr√¢ks hogging public roads up and down the country.

Sounds like communist USSR.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭Pissartist

You haven't a clue about addiction, that policy would backfire bigtime

I do, how does it start ?
    I would also wipe apologists like you out aswell, let me guess a recovering addict ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Pissartist wrote: »
    I would also wipe apologists like you out aswell, let me guess a recovering addict ?

What a kind soul you are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Woweee! We've got a badass here!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Sounds like communist USSR.

Great. We already have a new anthem we can use then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

There are many reason why people become addicted and your host does it start statement shows you have no idea. I may not have much times for them if they do not want to help themselves when given help but at least I know the road is long with many problems and know 2 months is 2 little

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

12. Set up a not for profit government bank.
    With tens of thousands of employees put in there by TDs and county councillors, each earning a few hundred grand (with early retirement on massive pensions), and if by any remote chance it makes a profit then give every employee a Christmas bonus to eliminate the profit.

Of course you first abolish the other banks, and foist the "not for profit" bank on businesses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

I do not want to be a dictator but I can well imagine what it could look like. Here we go:

1 One of the Wolfe Tones' songs becomes the national anthem.
    2 Televised rallies of people chantin 'the I the I the IRA' and 'Uh ah up da RA'.
    3 Extreme anti-British hatred and rhetoric everywhere.
    4 Support for terrorism in Northern Ireland.

Don't want that but this is what you'd get if some undemocratic nutter took over.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Sure Leo was not even elected by the Membership of Fine Gael :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Would you not just become a Boards Mod? It's the easiest powergrab you'll ever manage and there's no airing lists or kiteflying. You just put the boot in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Resign and make it a democracy.

Yep. Would leave the country by the first available means... Hence my life on a small island!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

Graces7 wrote: »
    Yep. Would leave the country by the first available means... Hence my life on a small island!

Is there any reason why you can't leave Ireland? I think, if I remember correctly you are not Irish, so you presumably chose to live here?

Maybe I am mixing you up with someone else.

SirChenjin wrote: »
    Is there any reason why you can't leave Ireland? I think, if I remember correctly you are not Irish, so you presumably chose to live here?

Maybe I am mixing you up with someone else.

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

Graces7 wrote: »
    :confused:

Maybe I misread your post. If so, apologies.

I thought you were saying you would leave this country at the first opportunity and I was puzzled.

SirChenjin wrote: »
    Maybe I misread your post. If so, apologies.

I thought you were saying you would leave this country at the first opportunity and I was puzzled.

lol...Please worry not! I was saying that after reading some of the ideas suggested? LET ME OUT! If ever they got inflicted on us ..I live now through choice happily on a small offshore island where life is very simple and peaceful. Life in cities sounds hard these days.

But life in the UK is even harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Stan27

We need massive investment in infrastructure. Particularly transport.

Advertisement