Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

If you were dictator of Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,685 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

This thread is really what should change in Ireland.

Can the people who want to abolish the presidency explain how that would work. Who would do the presidential functions? Who would be head of state.

(If it’s the taoiseach then he is the president.)

The dictator!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Pissartist wrote: »
    Exactly, you either take the chance to sort yourself out with the tax payers help, if you don't you live in a park.
    Softly softly doesn't work with these zombies

You will have every city and town park taken over by homeless then. Many areas will become 'no-go'. Crime will be rife and human defecation and urination will lead to diseases.

You would end costing yourself far more to clean up the area or throw people in prison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

If you were dictator of Ireland

My first post I said that if I were dictator I would be president. That’s not getting rid of the president btw.

I then decided to treat the list as a list of things you want to happen. After all why would a dictator reduce the number of TDs when he doesn’t need TDs.

So how would no president work?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,014 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

My first post I said that if I were dictator I would be president. That’s not getting rid of the president btw.

I then decided to treat the list as a list of things you want to happen. After all why would a president reduce the number of TDs when he doesn’t need TDs.

So how would no president work?

I think the point here is to combine everything into one job.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭Pissartist

rossie1977 wrote: »
    You will have every city and town park taken over by homeless then. Many areas will become 'no-go'. Crime will be rife and human defecation and urination will lead to diseases.

You would end costing yourself far more to clean up the area or throw people in prison.

Well if i'm being really honest i'd gas them if i was the overall dictator,
    One chance to get clean with tax payers help, detox, rent shrinks ect, but if they turn it down or relapse, bang bang.
    Adios

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I'd still consider that vague. I do coke occasionally (more occasionally than weed or alcohol) and I still function ok.

The problem is that you're replacing a very vague and inconsistent drug policy with a very vague and inconsistent drug policy (although to be fair, a slightly better one!). But I've noticed most people's attitude towards drugs is to legalise the ones they personally do, and ban the ones they don't.

Non functioning as in can't function without it. People with chronic drug use.

I'd be dictator, but I would let the people be represented. I'd be a sound dictator.

Money could come from the taxes all of the workers who are building the new homes, prison. Money would flood in from cannabis. Savings from kicking people off disability who were given it by GPs who were just fed up of them coming in annoying them.

I said an ICE style unit, not ICE.

Diaego would be one of them. Insurance companies would be another. It's not a manifesto, it's just a bit of fun. I stopped at 20 points because i'd be here all day.

You really think the money back from fraud and taxes from pay you have to give will be that much. At least you know it's a bit of fun and a fancy.

You really think the money back from fraud and taxes from pay you have to give will be that much. At least you know it's a bit of fun and a fancy.

I think fraud is huge in this country. I also think cannabis would bring in hundreds of millions. It could be grown on govt farms, making more employment. All funds would go back into the govt coffers. Hemp is also a lot more versatile and environmentally friendly than plastic etc, so I would have hemp farms too. Be the EU leader in hemp production.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Government has three primary functions.
    1. It should provide for military defense of the nation.
    2. It should enforce contracts between individuals.
    3. It should protect citizens from crimes against themselves or their property.

When government-- in pursuit of good intentions tries to rearrange the economy, legislate morality, or help special interests, the costs come in inefficiency, lack of motivation, and loss of freedom. Government should be a referee, not an active player.
    ― Milton Friedman

I'd start out with that.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    1. Disband the quangos which are really left wing political movements ( women's council etc)

2. Disband pavee point, the kinehans dont have a tax payer funded body which apologises for them

3. Cut all special funding for travellers, education is free, you don't need specific funding

4. Set up a special division of the police for dealing with traveller crime

5. Remove most soft science third level degrees, gender studies is a political movement

6. Do away with this 15% social housing amongst new estate developments, more left wing social engineering

7. Dump a third of social housing tenants out on the streets, that's the percentage currently who are in arrears, raise the rent which the remainder are paying

8. Cut funding to RTE, we should not be forced to fund left wing propoganda from multiculturalism to feminism to the royal treatment of public sector unions, ingrid miley is exiled to spike Island

9. VRT is removed

10. Ban one off housing for anyone but farmers

11. Introduce a 20% flat tax for everyone including the corporations but remove vat and stamp duty altogether, ditto excise duty

Education is free really. You might want to tell that to all the parents to stop going to money lender or credit unions for books uniforms etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

We had a second vote. Could have voted no again. No one forced people to

The european cuncil should have been all over that like a rash - of it happened in elections in Korea or China it would have been front page news and amnesty woukd have been screaming blue myrder over it.

I'd start jailing and firing without pensions or handouts. Accounyibility in public jobs.

Id start shutting down quangos - no pensions,no handouts.

I'd revise the schools cirriculum to have 20 % art and creative content and have at least 2 hkurs activity per day included - dance, running, cardio, games - mandatory for mental health and wellness.

Id broaden the citriculum to include basic cooking and easy nutrition and health for everyone - noone leaves school without knowing at least 30 meals and able yo cook and know whats in the food and how to plan to eat healthily. And I dont mean ibscure chemistry or HoneEc science - health in english not maths.

I' d do what Canada did and utterly revise yhe judicial and sentencing system - fixed sentences in years for crimes with a 3 or 4 strike system for over 18's. No more free legal aid for 3+ crimes .

I'd have a singapore style aplroach to public order and nuisance -clean safe patrolled streets and patrols with batons and tazers out - pissing in the street/littering/ gangs creating problems or causing annoyance - paddywaggon and break stones for a few weeks. Long sentences in unpleasany jails for others - criminals doing jobs that save the taxpayer money in actual jails - not playschools for spoilt adults.

Stop the choking of 16,17 and 18 year olds - more grants to universities for more places and stop the crucifying points race. Maximum of 5 subjects to be studied to exam level - allow scope for the individual to also grow and learn for pleasure.

Free public transport for all and free cars and LX/peyrol for the disabled.

Planting of trees compulsorary in every new estate and a proctectionism policy on mature trees - no more felling in the city or suburbs.

Every able bodied adult getting staye payments under the age of 65 to be employed or work under specified rules and audit in the community - sweeping streets, emptying bins,planting shrubs, cleaning drains - no more handouts for the able bodied.

Funding and resources for carers and their families in the way they need it - nursing homes for children and teenagers, diabled communities with all access facilities to be built and provided foc along with appropriate nursing/assustant care and doctors on site.

No more open ended unquestioned inward inmigration -Australian style cost benefit evaluation yo be applied prior to entry.

Enormous fines for ports,harbours and airlines/handlers who allow unvisa-ed people to travel or enter throught their facilities.

Massive investment in environment and indigenous Irish wildlife support - if this means impounding farmers lands or seizing farms from polluting and recidivist envirocrime farmers then so be it.

Compulsorary rehab for all junkies including sentencing to prison style tesidental rehab units - mother and child units to ge set up USA style.

No more entitlement of abusive and junkie parents to their babies/children - clear practical support and then compulsorary removal and foster/adoption of chance not taken.

Privacy for birth mothers and fathers of adopted children as originally agreed when adoptions took place.

3 week paid holiday to sunny countey for eery working adult annually.

Most working private companies in the country to close in July or August to give everyone a proper break.

RtE to he shut down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Some of the people in this thread need to have their right to vote removed. Imbeciles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

No internet Wednesdays.

All wi-fi and mobile phone signals switched off for 24 hours every week.

How about we all cut down on internet use ourselves instead of an imposed blackout?

Lead by example. Children are growing up watching their parents' noses stuck in their phones mindlessly scrolling through Facebook, Instagram, Boards.

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    Some of the people in this thread need to have their right to vote removed. Imbeciles.

No one should have the right to vote taken off them. Where would it stop. If anything I am glad everyone has a right to vote and they should have to use it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

If some of these "common sense" propositions being proposed here are so sensible, then why aren't they being pursued by governments that are obsessed with being popular?

Is it because the mass incarceration of petty criminals and dumping of the poor onto the streets would cause more problems than they solve?

People seem to forget that policies that would make a dictator blush were pursued with rigour in this country in the 19 century. They didn't eliminate crime, or make the place any better to live in (quite the contrary actually) unless your were a member of the upper class.

There are things that we could do though, without selling our soul or out values. One thing I would love to see would be a change that means that infrastructure development proceeds promptly and that genuine concerns are addressed but nimbyism is immediately identified and overruled.

What I do love about the OPs proposal is that he's dedicated a significant portion of it to alcohol policy... All the levers of government at your disposal and a society to shape and you consider minimum unit pricing and the break up of a foreign drinks multinational a priority??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Threads like this used to be a bit of light-hearted fun.

What the fcuk happened to After Hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

A gulag for Boy Racers.

The european cuncil should have been all over that like a rash - of it happened in elections in Korea or China it would have been front page news and amnesty woukd have been screaming blue myrder over it.

I'd start jailing and firing without pensions or handouts. Accounyibility in public jobs.

Id start shutting down quangos - no pensions,no handouts.

I'd revise the schools cirriculum to have 20 % art and creative content and have at least 2 hkurs activity per day included - dance, running, cardio, games - mandatory for mental health and wellness.

Id broaden the citriculum to include basic cooking and easy nutrition and health for everyone - noone leaves school without knowing at least 30 meals and able yo cook and know whats in the food and how to plan to eat healthily. And I dont mean ibscure chemistry or HoneEc science - health in english not maths.

I' d do what Canada did and utterly revise yhe judicial and sentencing system - fixed sentences in years for crimes with a 3 or 4 strike system for over 18's. No more free legal aid for 3+ crimes .

I'd have a singapore style aplroach to public order and nuisance -clean safe patrolled streets and patrols with batons and tazers out - pissing in the street/littering/ gangs creating problems or causing annoyance - paddywaggon and break stones for a few weeks. Long sentences in unpleasany jails for others - criminals doing jobs that save the taxpayer money in actual jails - not playschools for spoilt adults.

Stop the choking of 16,17 and 18 year olds - more grants to universities for more places and stop the crucifying points race. Maximum of 5 subjects to be studied to exam level - allow scope for the individual to also grow and learn for pleasure.

Free public transport for all and free cars and LX/peyrol for the disabled.

Planting of trees compulsorary in every new estate and a proctectionism policy on mature trees - no more felling in the city or suburbs.

Every able bodied adult getting staye payments under the age of 65 to be employed or work under specified rules and audit in the community - sweeping streets, emptying bins,planting shrubs, cleaning drains - no more handouts for the able bodied.

Funding and resources for carers and their families in the way they need it - nursing homes for children and teenagers, diabled communities with all access facilities to be built and provided foc along with appropriate nursing/assustant care and doctors on site.

No more open ended unquestioned inward inmigration -Australian style cost benefit evaluation yo be applied prior to entry.

Enormous fines for ports,harbours and airlines/handlers who allow unvisa-ed people to travel or enter throught their facilities.

Massive investment in environment and indigenous Irish wildlife support - if this means impounding farmers lands or seizing farms from polluting and recidivist envirocrime farmers then so be it.

Compulsorary rehab for all junkies including sentencing to prison style tesidental rehab units - mother and child units to ge set up USA style.

No more entitlement of abusive and junkie parents to their babies/children - clear practical support and then compulsorary removal and foster/adoption of chance not taken.

Privacy for birth mothers and fathers of adopted children as originally agreed when adoptions took place.

3 week paid holiday to sunny countey for eery working adult annually.

Most working private companies in the country to close in July or August to give everyone a proper break.

RtE to he shut down.

Accountability would include you as well yes?

Canada having problems with political interference with there judicial system at the moment. You cant just shut down a place and go oh well nothing for you. What did all workers in those places do?

Just watch all your first paragraph happen if you did that. Do you still have not said how those second referendums were undemocratic. I got to vote freely surely you did also. Can we not vote a second time on anything

• Site Banned Posts: 136 ✭✭rainybillwill

A tax abatement for developers in Dublin, Cork and Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Advanced first aid and life guard training on the leaving cert.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Woke Hogan wrote: »

By you when you are a dictator?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭trashcan

Allow the Irish people the moral right to determine their own future in regards to their own interests and identity.

Ah here, what sort of a dictator are you anyway ?

trashcan wrote: »
    Ah here, what sort of a dictator are you anyway ?

A woke dictator?

If some of these "common sense" propositions being proposed here are so sensible, then why aren't they being pursued by governments that are obsessed with being popular?

Is it because the mass incarceration of petty criminals and dumping of the poor onto the streets would cause more problems than they solve?

People seem to forget that policies that would make a dictator blush were pursued with rigour in this country in the 19 century. They didn't eliminate crime, or make the place any better to live in (quite the contrary actually) unless your were a member of the upper class.

There are things that we could do though, without selling our soul or out values. One thing I would love to see would be a change that means that infrastructure development proceeds promptly and that genuine concerns are addressed but nimbyism is immediately identified and overruled.

What I do love about the OPs proposal is that he's dedicated a significant portion of it to alcohol policy... All the levers of government at your disposal and a society to shape and you consider minimum unit pricing and the break up of a foreign drinks multinational a priority??

As stated in the OP, and again later in the thread, it is not policy or a mandate, it’s a bit of craic.

Removal of religious patronage & teachings from schools.

Remove Nicky Byrne from the gene pool.

As stated in the OP, and again later in the thread, it is not policy or a mandate, it’s a bit of craic.

To be honest, and perhaps I'm alone here, I don't think the discussion of mass incarceration of what 10% of the population and setting up of a defacto police state with liberal drinking laws as a bit of craic.

If you're going to put this unworkable populist BS out there, for "fun" or not, expect to be criticised.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭Pissartist

Fake tan, fake eyelashes, hun buns and trout pouts to be outlawed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Assuming I'm a dictator and can do whatever I want:

Do away with the courts system as is currently, no judges or solicitors.

Appoint arbiters who are Judge, jury and executioner.

Outcomes for those accused of crimes are Freedom, Death or Dungeon.

Death is done straightaway and your direct family (spouse/partner and kids) also get killed.

Anyone who feels that a death verdict or death penalty in general is unfair or unjust will be killed, along with their family.

All Jails/Prisons covered into Dungeons. No conveniences, You are confined to a cell and fed gruel which is nutritionally complete and disgusting

No TD's or government. Me and my advisors dictate the laws and policies.

Advisor is a massively well paid role where you live like a king, for 10 years, then you're killed and replaced.

Everybody works. With modern technology its almost impossibly to not do some form of work.

if you are assigned work you will be provided with the tools and training required to do that work.

Refusal to do assigned work is a crime

Begging is a crime

Everybody will be housed in some form.

Homelessness is a crime.

Everybody is entitled to free healthcare, hospital procedures and any required medicines.

Childcare is free for all parents to cover the time working if both parents work.

Stay at home mother until the childs age of 16 is considered work for those that choose it, its not mandatory.

Mimimum standard of living/ living wage will be enough to lead a good quality of life

Mental health and wellbeing is the top state priority. noone should ever have reason to be considered a criminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Education is free really. You might want to tell that to all the parents to stop going to money lender or credit unions for books uniforms etc.

We all have to prioritise

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

Make hurling madatory and anyone who cant conquer at least 30 of the basic skills by age 16 be deported

Advertisement