Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why are women allowed to smoke while pregnant?

Options
  • 13-07-2019 12:00pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 71 ✭✭

Isn't this damaging?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

It's damaging, and incredibly stupid in my opinion, and I'm sure others will agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

It's when the women start to smoke during sex you should get worried.

The solution of course, is to slow down a bit and use lubricant.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Because cigarettes make too much money for the gubbermint and the powerful people connected to it, so banning them outright or enforcing smoking bans, even on pregnant women, will be detrimental to their bank balances.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

ZilkyG wrote: »
    Isn't this damaging?

Ask your mother.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 71 ✭✭ZilkyG

Ask your mother.

Wow! Aren't you just the funniest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭jay1988

Their body, their choice?

Not that I agree with women smoking while pregnant, I don't think anybody has any right to step in and stop them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Those E cigs are grand though so no harm being done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

Why are women even allowed to do anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    Those E cigs are grand though so no harm being done.

First they were vaping the cannabis, now they're vaping the E...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

jay1988 wrote: »
    Their body, their choice?

What about the baby they are growing, does that not get a choice? Do you think that smoking around others is OK? Because smoking while pregnant is forcing another person to smoke.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Personally it turns my stomach to see it.

I've heard it said however that the stress of not smoking for the mother could be just as hazardous for the baby as actually smoking.

Who knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Sure and ban the drinking as well while you're at it - all that alcohol in the system can't be good for the new baba. Problem is that you can put bans on these sort of things but you can never implement them, so they're worthless.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Osborne

Del2005 wrote: »
    What about the baby they are growing, does that not get a choice? Do you think that smoking around others is OK? Because smoking while pregnant is forcing another person to smoke.

The poster literally answers your question in the very post you quoted. You only quoted half of it. Weird.

Del2005 wrote: »

If you had read the rest of my post you'd see I've already said I don't agree with it but we have full bodily autonomy these days so its not my place or anybody else's to tell any woman what she can or can't do, pregnant or not.

There mostly from a certain social level the women who smoke while pregnant. I mean let's say you'd see breaded chicken in their trolleys in the local supermarket.

There mostly from a certain social level the women who smoke while pregnant. I mean let's say you'd see breaded chicken in their trolleys in the local supermarket.

I bet they can't use their/there/they're properly either.

Peasants.

what a dickish post, anyways what type of creep is walking around supermarkets to see what certain people have in their trolleys?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Osborne

Even the cornfed, organic chicken goujons from Donnybrook Fair? Fcuk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭SteM

Always shocked when I'm on the bus going past the combe and see heavily pregnant women standing outside in their dressing gowns smoking.

jay1988 wrote: »
    what a dickish post, anyways what type of creep is walking around supermarkets to see what certain people have in their trolleys?

Me there's no chicken at all in those things aswell I nearly hold my nose passing some of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,454 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Sky King wrote: »
    It's when the women start to smoke during sex you should get worried.

The solution of course, is to slow down a bit and use lubricant.

You'd have sex with a smoker? That's sad.

SteM wrote: »
    Always shocked when I'm on the bus going past the combe and see heavily pregnant women standing outside in their dressing gowns smoking.

It's disgusting. Empty goujon trays littered around them too. Scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Isn't this damaging?

So having tried to ban breastfeeding women from the public sphere, the OP now wants to control pregnant women.

Given the direction he's headed, will his next OP suggest women shouldn't be allowed to use contraception without the man's permission? Or shouldn't be allowed to refuse sex to a man?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I don't agree with smoking while pregnant (for what it's worth, I'm neither a mother or a smoker) but asking why women are 'allowed' to smoke while pregnant?

How exactly do you plan to police them OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,207 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Under his eye

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Under his eye

Praise Be.

Why are men allowed drink alcohol when some of them become violent and beat people up?

OP trolling away in Parenting too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Isn't this damaging?

extremely damaging. deprives of oxygen .

Their bodies. Their choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

I'd like to see some civil suits brought by children affected by women who smoke, drink or do drugs while pregnant. There should also be a big information campaign about the potential side effects on children so nobody is in any doubt what they are doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Being pregnant is both stressful and incredibly uncool.

Smoking helps with both.

Advertisement