Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
12-07-2019, 13:03   #1
ThunderCat
Registered User
 
ThunderCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,304
Question on high temperatures

I was out in the garden last Sunday and it was roasting in fairness, no wind hitting the garden at all. It got me wondering how hot exactly it was so I took my newborns bath thermometer outside and I was getting readings of 32 and 33 degrees which is obviously a lot higher than what any of my weather apps were telling me it was. I moved the thermometer around the garden too so I had it on a wall, on the grass etc. but the reading was still consistent. So I was wondering were these readings completely false or is it a case that they were accurate but it's just weather stations that give us the temperature in our apps are at a height in order to accurately detect wind speed and direction and as a result the temperature they predict is true for what is hitting the weather station but not true of what we experience on the ground? Thanks
ThunderCat is offline  
Advertisement
12-07-2019, 13:06   #2
Gerry G
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCat View Post
I was out in the garden last Sunday and it was roasting in fairness, no wind hitting the garden at all. It got me wondering how hot exactly it was so I took my newborns bath thermometer outside and I was getting readings of 32 and 33 degrees which is obviously a lot higher than what any of my weather apps were telling me it was. I moved the thermometer around the garden too so I had it on a wall, on the grass etc. but the reading was still consistent. So I was wondering were these readings completely false or is it a case that they were accurate but it's just weather stations that give us the temperature in our apps are at a height in order to accurately detect wind speed and direction and as a result the temperature they predict is true for what is hitting the weather station but not true of what we experience on the ground? Thanks
Are you messing with us?
Gerry G is offline  
Thanks from:
12-07-2019, 14:21   #3
sparrowcar
Registered User
 
sparrowcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry G View Post
Are you messing with us?
Well that's helpful.

Have a read of this. Should explain it to you.

https://www.weatherworksinc.com/temperature-measurement
sparrowcar is offline  
(4) thanks from:
12-07-2019, 14:40   #4
ZX7R
Registered User
 
ZX7R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,355
You're back garden has a micro climate.
So say it's a walled garden wind is blocked and you have direct sunlight, yes you could get a high temperature reading but it's not a correct reading of the ambient temperature.
ZX7R is online now  
Thanks from:
12-07-2019, 14:42   #5
corminators
Registered User
 
corminators's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 61
Meteorologists measure temp in the shade.
corminators is offline  
Advertisement
12-07-2019, 15:10   #6
ThunderCat
Registered User
 
ThunderCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowcar View Post
Well that's helpful.

Have a read of this. Should explain it to you.

https://www.weatherworksinc.com/temperature-measurement

Thanks for that. Just finished reading it there and now I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX7R View Post
You're back garden has a micro climate.
So say it's a walled garden wind is blocked and you have direct sunlight, yes you could get a high temperature reading but it's not a correct reading of the ambient temperature.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by corminators View Post
Meteorologists measure temp in the shade.
Didn't know this thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry G View Post
Are you messing with us?


Wouldn't dream of it Gerry. I was just surprised the temp got as high as the thermometer was telling me. While I didn't realise temp was measured in the shade, I did know enough that factors like proximity to buildings etc play a part in what reading you get. As I said I was just surprised it was as high as it was. Thanks.
ThunderCat is offline  
Thanks from:
12-07-2019, 15:20   #7
Comhra
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry G View Post
Are you messing with us?
That's a pretty strange and unhelpful reply to a very legitimate question, no?
Comhra is offline  
(2) thanks from:
12-07-2019, 15:30   #8
NSAman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,084
I'm sorry I am with Gerry on this one. The Temperature given in weather forecasts are to measure the air temperature. Factors like asphalt, concrete, are withheld as much as possible from these readings.

E.G. when you get into your car on a hot day, the temperature gauge will read many degrees hotter than it actually is. Reason being.... the car is static, the road heats up and the temperature of the road is being measured. Yesterday when I got into the car, it was reading 44C. After driving you notice that the gauge reduces gradually, after a while it reverts back to the air temperature which was 33C here yesterday.

Items retain heat and in direct sunlight you have heat building up, hence asphalt is many degrees warmer than the air temperature (black absorbs heat more readily than white).

You can have temperature differences in built up environments like towns that are micro climates. Where I live is in the countryside, I work in a small town only a few miles away. In summer, it is always a few degrees warmer in the town due to the heating of the buildings and the pavements than in the country.

Not being a smart ass, but I would have thought basic science classes in secondary school are mandatory... and all people would have known this????
NSAman is offline  
12-07-2019, 15:42   #9
Comhra
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSAman View Post
Not being a smart ass, but I would have thought basic science classes in secondary school are mandatory... and all people would have known this????
Well, we didn't all have the good fortune to go to secondary school.
Comhra is offline  
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
12-07-2019, 15:51   #10
compsys
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSAman View Post
I'm sorry I am with Gerry on this one. The Temperature given in weather forecasts are to measure the air temperature. Factors like asphalt, concrete, are withheld as much as possible from these readings.

E.G. when you get into your car on a hot day, the temperature gauge will read many degrees hotter than it actually is. Reason being.... the car is static, the road heats up and the temperature of the road is being measured. Yesterday when I got into the car, it was reading 44C. After driving you notice that the gauge reduces gradually, after a while it reverts back to the air temperature which was 33C here yesterday.

Items retain heat and in direct sunlight you have heat building up, hence asphalt is many degrees warmer than the air temperature (black absorbs heat more readily than white).

You can have temperature differences in built up environments like towns that are micro climates. Where I live is in the countryside, I work in a small town only a few miles away. In summer, it is always a few degrees warmer in the town due to the heating of the buildings and the pavements than in the country.

Not being a smart ass, but I would have thought basic science classes in secondary school are mandatory... and all people would have known this????
Yeah. EVERYONE knows this because everyone is obsessed with the weather and science and EVERYONE remembers everything from the first year or two in secondary school 🙄.

You sound so condescending.
compsys is offline  
12-07-2019, 16:25   #11
Storm 10
Registered User
 
Storm 10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,915
Some of the replies are downright uncalled for,I never learned anything about the Temp in my back garden or anywhere else in school, the weather would be the last thing on my mind at that time.
Storm 10 is online now  
(2) thanks from:
12-07-2019, 16:49   #12
NSAman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by compsys View Post
Yeah. EVERYONE knows this because everyone is obsessed with the weather and science and EVERYONE remembers everything from the first year or two in secondary school ��.

You sound so condescending.
Thanks. But this was from Primary school and many years ago. Sorry to sound condescending.

It's basic for me to understand all this.

Hence when you touch a car in sunshine its hotter than the items around it.
NSAman is offline  
12-07-2019, 21:15   #13
ZX7R
Registered User
 
ZX7R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm 10 View Post
Some of the replies are downright uncalled for,I never learned anything about the Temp in my back garden or anywhere else in school, the weather would be the last thing on my mind at that time.
+1
Some of the replies are shocking, but sadly it doesn't really surprise me
ZX7R is online now  
Thanks from:
12-07-2019, 22:12   #14
sryanbruen
Registered User
 
sryanbruen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 10,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm 10 View Post
Some of the replies are downright uncalled for,I never learned anything about the Temp in my back garden or anywhere else in school, the weather would be the last thing on my mind at that time.
I just finished school this May and I never learned anything of the sorts throughout my years either. It was all stuff like what kind of weather does low or high pressure bring, what are these isolines, what is this called (anticyclone, depression etc).

Some ridiculous replies on here.
sryanbruen is offline  
(2) thanks from:
12-07-2019, 23:09   #15
Meteorite58
Moderator
 
Meteorite58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 7,141
Mod Note: this thread has run it's course. Closing it.
Meteorite58 is online now  
(2) thanks from:
Thread Closed

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search