Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

21-07-2019, 14:36   #1021
Oneiric 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donegal Storm View Post
Big flash of lightning and deep booming thunder in Letterkenny with torrential rain.

First flash of lightning I've seen in more than 2 years!

Chance this could affect The Open?
Congrats!

Very surprised though that such standard looking synopics would bring thunder? I.E, approaching warm-front and long-wave SW pattern. No thunder here but getting increasingly frequent, if very short-lived, torrential bursts of rain and feeling as humid as hell.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
21-07-2019, 15:49   #1022
Donegal Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneiric 3 View Post
Congrats!

Very surprised though that such standard looking synopics would bring thunder? I.E, approaching warm-front and long-wave SW pattern. No thunder here but getting increasingly frequent, if very short-lived, torrential bursts of rain and feeling as humid as hell.
I recall saying to you a couple of years ago that I got bored of thunderstorms after experiencing them nearly every day in Asia but can safely say that's no longer the case

A solitary flash is all we got in the end though, radar showed two strikes nearby but only saw/heard one
Thanks from:
21-07-2019, 15:57   #1023
Meteorite58

Really worth keeping an eye I reckon on the potential for overnight thunderstorms maybe late Tues night into early Weds morning skirting up along the SE , E and NE of Ireland. Could be quite explosive running up the Irish sea, how close or if overland in Ireland will need to see over the coming days. The SW might feature also.

Big negative tilted trough, really high Theta -E readings, Jet overhead with tons of shear, coupeld with possible temps 17 to 19C at 01.00 Weds morning and DP around 16 - 17C.

Last edited by Meteorite58; 21-07-2019 at 16:06.
21-07-2019, 16:21   #1024
Donegal Storm

Been keeping an eye on that all week, proper plume stuff if it comes off. I remember a similar setup maybe 6 or 7 years ago where Wexford narrowly missed out on a big storm that went up the Irish Sea then all hell broke loose in the UK with supercells across the Midlands
(2) thanks from:
21-07-2019, 16:22   #1025
Meteorite58

Rain to continue over the W, NE, N Midlands and N for some hours to come, some heavy convective rain embedded in the system. Chance of thunderstorms diminishing but maybe a few sporadic strikes over elevated ground in the W.

Advertisement
21-07-2019, 16:31   #1026
SlowBlowin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteorite58 View Post
Chance of thunderstorms diminishing but maybe a few sporadic strikes over elevated ground in the W.
Does that include the SW ? Getting paranoid up here, if theres a risk I want to shut everything down....
21-07-2019, 18:01   #1027
Mortelaro

Talk of 'very big thunderstorms' moving up from Europe tuesday night and wenesday on bbc news 24 forecast just now
(5) thanks from:
21-07-2019, 18:28   #1028
Meteorite58

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowBlowin View Post
Does that include the SW ? Getting paranoid up here, if theres a risk I want to shut everything down....
Unlikely to get more lightning in Kerry tonight IMO.
Thanks from:
21-07-2019, 18:36   #1029
esposito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortelaro View Post
Talk of 'very big thunderstorms' moving up from Europe tuesday night and wenesday on bbc news 24 forecast just now
Let’s hope it comes to fruition and that parts of Ireland (especially Dublin) get in on the action.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
21-07-2019, 19:10   #1030
Oneiric 3

'Total Water Column' I.E, water content of the air, charts from the 'Rapid ECMWF' 06z run for Tues Eve/Weds Morn. Hopefully our east coast friends will finally get to see something.

21-07-2019, 22:13   #1031
Rougies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneiric 3 View Post
'Total Water Column' I.E, water content of the air, charts from the 'Rapid ECMWF' 06z run for Tues Eve/Weds Morn. Hopefully our east coast friends will finally get to see something.

Thanks for the well wishes but I can't see any significant potential for us on current model output, the instability all looks too far east. Maybe we'll see a few distant flashes over the Irish Sea if anyone's bothered to look (it would be like watching flashes of the middle finger from Zeus imo). Hope I'm wrong and/or things change to bring the potential further west.
Thanks from:
22-07-2019, 10:08   #1032
Kermit.de.frog

The prognosis has not really improved overnight for some storms in to the east. Most of the activity is either just off shore or well east in over Britain.

Still time for this to evolve though.
22-07-2019, 10:56   #1033
Mortelaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermit.de.frog View Post
The prognosis has not really improved overnight for some storms in to the east. Most of the activity is either just off shore or well east in over Britain.

Still time for this to evolve though.
It'll stay to the east,that's its momentum
Wont even hear the thunder in the east
Might see distant cloud tops near wales
22-07-2019, 16:09   #1034
Kermit.de.frog

Yep. No movement in the models this evening and I'm resigning myself to that scenario.
Thanks from:
22-07-2019, 17:44   #1035
Say my name

On the latest Met Office graphics on YouTube it gives a main bunch of thunderstorms going into the sw of England Tuesday night and Wednesday morning before heading to Scotland but it also gives another smaller bunch coming into the SE of Ireland in the early hours of Wednesday morning.

https://youtu.be/jJyhoXkiegM

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion