Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

13-07-2019, 20:33   #16
Dolbhad

If there is no planning for the extension, the sellers can put in a retention application which will take a few months and cost them. It depends on how big the extension is. If it’s small, they may decline to go retention. They may chance getting your solicitor to put in a qualification on title to your bank saying there is an issue with planning. It’s up to your bank to decide if they will lend.

However even if they approve, the phase “the day you buy is the day you sell” applies. It’s our problem then. You’ll have same problem when selling or remortgaging in future. Just because a bank is okay with it now doesn’t mean they will in future. I’d be insisting they fix it but you do the get the whole attitude with some sellers that they will chance selling to someone else who won’t insist on it to save them the time and money so take it or leave it. Listen to whatever advice your solicitor says on this.
Advertisement
13-07-2019, 20:43   #17
technodj

Thanks for the advice.
Im really caught between a rock and a hard place now as my approval/ offer runs out shortly.
I doubt the bank will lend if theres a planning issue. Looks like the extension without permission was built at least 20yrs ago
13-07-2019, 23:34   #18
kceire

Quote:
Originally Posted by technodj View Post
Just wondering how you got on. Im in the Exact same boat now
Thanks in advance
Is it possible the extension was exempt?
14-07-2019, 21:54   #19
technodj

Im not sure tbh
How do I go about finding that out.
Thanks
14-07-2019, 22:37   #20
jlm29

Quote:
Im not sure tbh
Thanks
Your engineer should be able to tell you. The size extension that can be built with no planning has changed several times over the last number of years, so if he/she measured the extension and dated it, they would know.
We did get a mortgage last year with several planning issues, the bank were happy to let it go through, so it’s not a definite no! But it’s true, you don’t know what it will be like in future, and if selling in future is a possibility, you don’t want to be landed with problems then
Thanks from:
Advertisement
15-07-2019, 09:46   #21
kceire

Quote:
Im not sure tbh
Thanks
Your pre purchase survey will highlight the extension. The vendor then provides a Cert of Exemption or Cert of compliance with Planning Permission.
Thanks from:
15-07-2019, 10:47   #22
technodj

Three extensions on the property
2 of them have planning from the 70s
The survey report states the extension with no planning is over 12yrs old (70s/80s is my guess)
And within boundaries
Il post more info when they get back, but anxious about the purchase is an understatement
15-07-2019, 14:51   #23
Askthe EA

Quote:
The survey report states the extension with no planning is over 12yrs old (70s/80s is my guess)
And within boundaries
Il post more info when they get back, but anxious about the purchase is an understatement
Is the side extension a garage conversion? They may not have needed planning?
15-07-2019, 21:14   #24
technodj

No it appears it was a side entrance converted to a room which is currently being used as a kitchen
Advertisement
15-07-2019, 23:07   #25
kceire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Askthe EA View Post
Is the side extension a garage conversion? They may not have needed planning?
The exemptions only covers you if you haven’t extended before. The exempted limits state you have to add the area of the other extensions, even those that have granted planning permission.
22-07-2019, 13:47   #26
Sunrise_Sunset

Quote:
And within boundaries
Hi OP, any update on this?
23-07-2019, 10:09   #27
Sunrise_Sunset

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlm29 View Post
Your engineer should be able to tell you. The size extension that can be built with no planning has changed several times over the last number of years, so if he/she measured the extension and dated it, they would know.
We did get a mortgage last year with several planning issues, the bank were happy to let it go through, so it’s not a definite no! But it’s true, you don’t know what it will be like in future, and if selling in future is a possibility, you don’t want to be landed with problems then
Hi, just wondering what the planning issues were for you, that the bank still okay'ed.
We are in a bit of a pickle now ourselves. I think we'll have to apply for retention, and I don't know if our buyer will be willing to wait that long. Or the seller of our new house.
23-07-2019, 14:27   #28
jlm29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrise_Sunset View Post
Hi, just wondering what the planning issues were for you, that the bank still okay'ed.
We are in a bit of a pickle now ourselves. I think we'll have to apply for retention, and I don't know if our buyer will be willing to wait that long. Or the seller of our new house.
There’s two extensions onto our original house that were built with no planning, and exceeded the size allowed that was exempt from planning at the time. Our septic tank also had no planning. There was a shed built with no planning too, but if I remember rightly, that was within the size allowed at the time

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion