Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

13-12-2018, 17:33   #46
Mrs OBumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by ....... View Post
So to be consistent then you must agree that it is also ok to charge for the microwave/hob/sink etc on a per usage basis?
That is exactly what the ESB do: they charge per usef, based on how much you use.

All the LL has to do is provide accrss to the stove etc. S/he id not required to provide power for them to use.
Advertisement
13-12-2018, 17:50   #47
nox001

Quote:
I have linked to the legislation.

It is being asserted that because the legislation doesnt specifically prohibit charges then that is ok.

So I am asking if then charges for all items in that part of the legislation is also ok?

Im not clear why I am getting a mod note on this? I have been civil even when others have not?
Essentially you are saying that a tenant who gets their esb cut off for non-payment has a case to make a complaint that they can't wash or cook as the LL should provide these and that the tenant shouldn't have to pay to use them.

Quote:
So to be consistent then you must agree that it is also ok to charge for the microwave/hob/sink etc on a per usage basis?
If they were in a communal area and the tenant was not otherwise paying for them then through their own esb bill then it wouldn't be a big deal once done properly. The system makes sense for laundry though not so much for the other facilities.

Last edited by nox001; 13-12-2018 at 17:54.
13-12-2018, 18:01   #48
Fol20

Many other european countries have it setup this way. They have longer secure tenanies. I thought this is what you want. Personally i wish we just give them a box the tenants then have the choice to put in a unit if they want or they can go to an external laundry unit
13-12-2018, 19:42   #49
blergh

It's the norm for college accommodation to openly charge per wash on a similar system. For example:

http://www.dcuaccommodation.ie/livin...dry-facilities

Therefore it can be taken that it's not illegal. Deliberately avoiding payment for a service obviously is illegal on the other hand. Saving a couple of euro a week doesn't strike me as worth risking being kicked out of your apartment or being refused a reference, given the current climate.

Last edited by blergh; 13-12-2018 at 20:03.
13-12-2018, 21:05   #50
dennyk

Quote:
...Given they are in the same section of the legislation as providing access to oven/freezer/microwave/sink etc it is reasonable to assume that the intention is that they are NOT to be charged for per use.
Landlords need to provide access to a toilet - nowhere in the legislation does it say anything about charging per use of a toilet because its bloody obvious eh?
So what you're saying is that there's a significant untapped market for coin-op ovens, hobs, fridges, microwaves, sink taps, and toilets in private rental accommodation, eh? I think I smell a new business opportunity...
Thanks from:
Advertisement
14-12-2018, 04:42   #51
sheroman01

Okay, so there's been a lot of replies, a lot of them off topic. My issue was the fact that I needed to get more tokens from my landlord, and I have not heard back from her in 13 days. As I said, I can understand a few days grace, but nearly two weeks is too long. What can I do in this case? Is there any compensation I can get? Perhaps deduct it from rent? I'm looking for answers to these questions, not alternatives as to how I can wash my clothes. Thanks for the advice though.

In relation to the setup I have; I pay €2 per token, which normally gets me a wash and a dry. Sometimes one token per wash and one per dry. Initially I thought this was crazy but for a while it was fine. I see some pros and cons:

Pros:
Don't have to purchase washing machine/dryer
Price per wash/dry seems alright
Washing Machine+Dryer is in a separate room, giving more room for my studio

Cons:
Limited time to use; another tenant can be using it when I need it
Can't use it if my landlord doesn't give me tokens!!
14-12-2018, 04:57   #52
sheroman01

Quote:
I have linked to the legislation.

It is being asserted that because the legislation doesnt specifically prohibit charges then that is ok.

So I am asking if then charges for all items in that part of the legislation is also ok?

Im not clear why I am getting a mod note on this? I have been civil even when others have not?
I see where you're coming from, but in this case the LL would need to install washing machines and/or dryers in all the studios in the flat. This would take up a lot of precious space in a studio! Providing a communal washing facility (which is in the tenants rights) allows everyone to use it, allowing extra space in our rooms. I understand it's not ideal, but I can see how/why it works. What would be your solution be in this case? Demand that you want a washing machine in your studio, taking up space? Or, use a communal one and use it for free (the LL is not obliged to pay for usage of the washing machine).
14-12-2018, 07:35   #53
Mrs OBumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheroman01 View Post
Okay, so there's been a lot of replies, a lot of them off topic. My issue was the fact that I needed to get more tokens from my landlord, and I have not heard back from her in 13 days. As I said, I can understand a few days grace, but nearly two weeks is too long. What can I do in this case?
Have you started phoning the LL (not texting, that's silly) daily? Have you talked to any other tenants?
14-12-2018, 07:48   #54
L1011

Two texts and no phonecall would not be enough effort taken to look for the laundry costs back nor would there be any compensation above that anyway
Advertisement
14-12-2018, 08:07   #55
Birdsong

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheroman01
Okay, so there's been a lot of replies, a lot of them off topic. My issue was the fact that I needed to get more tokens from my landlord, and I have not heard back from her in 13 days. As I said, I can understand a few days grace, but nearly two weeks is too long. What can I do in this case? Is there any compensation I can get? Perhaps deduct it from rent? I'm looking for answers to these questions, not alternatives as to how I can wash my clothes. Thanks for the advice though.
To be honest I don't I understand why your not ringing everyday , or at least texting.
14-12-2018, 09:43   #56
nox001

When you do get in contact with the LL can you buy a large amount of tokens together and then before they run out start requesting more again?
17-12-2018, 06:15   #57

Is it possible they have become I'll or have had a bereavement and are unavailable, id be reluctant to pester them, sort it out yourself and wait until contact is made.
17-12-2018, 07:30   #58
whomitconcerns

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1874 View Post
Is it possible they have become I'll or have had a bereavement and are unavailable, id be reluctant to pester them, sort it out yourself and wait until contact is made.
It's a business the landlord is running and it has been two weeks. I'm not insensitive but this is bad advice.
Thanks from:
17-12-2018, 09:13   #59

ok so the person could be out of action but posting on boards was never going to get them in contact with the person, by all means raise the issue, you have to think there might be something genuine behind it, so if the OP doesn't want to re-wear dirty socks and underwear, seems like they should attend to the immediate need, either buy some tokens off another tenant or being their stuff to a luandrette, I'm sure the person will turn up eventually or maybe a representative if they are incapacitated.
17-12-2018, 09:22   #60
L1011

Realistically the OP had made no efforts to contact the landlord at all - two texts over a prolonged period. So the idea that they're incapacitated rather than simply unaware of the issue is quite a leap.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion