Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

C__MC wrote: »
    Dara O Cinnede definitely should be presenting the SG

Absolutely top class broadcaster a true professional, he would be miles better than Cahill at that TSG job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

O Hara should never have been let back on it after his hatchet job on Kevin Walsh- it was classless and embarrassing.

Curran was a bit of a clown to be honest- almost like a cartoon character at first and then he tried to reinvent himself but it was just hilariously fake.

Cian ward seems to be a good pundit, Michael quirke is good but there is really a lack of top quality guys. Most of them just engage in statements of fact as opposed to analysing why something happened and the tactical moves, etc

Wouldn't be too keen on Ward. Usually just agrees with Parkinson's point. Actually, be great to have Parkinson in there for a night.

McStay is much better since he returned. He gives a good insight into how managers would be looking at this from logistical viewpoint etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

have you not listened to colm cavanagh from tyrone the inventor of the the word ".shide" :rolleyes: , he is complete nonsense and after a full career of playing gaelic football still dosnt know the rules of the gaa

struggles to name players of teams out side of division 1 also , so answer is he is crap ,

donegal's martin mchugh is working with RTE for years but is impossible to listen to at times , seems to talk a lot more sense on BBC for some reason :confused:

SEAN Cavanagh , he isn't the only one struggling with names...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

For games that aren't sell outs in Croke Park, pretty much all games til the final. I was wondering would it be possible to prioritise a couple of sections for people buying family tickets. Some of the language used in the crowd at times isn't appropriate for younger ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

For games that aren't sell outs in Croke Park, pretty much all games til the final. I was wondering would it be possible to prioritise a couple of sections for people buying family tickets. Some of the language used in the crowd at times isn't appropriate for younger ears.

I’d agree with this it’s shameful at times. I often bring my kids to games and I hate that they have to listen to fellas cursing and blinding all day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

I’d agree with this it’s shameful at times. I often bring my kids to games and I hate that they have to listen to fellas cursing and blinding all day.

It goes with the territory I suppose, you have to make allowance for some expletives and roaring!

At same time there is nothing worse than being stuck within the orbit of some clown(s) usually the worse for drink who engage in abuse that is neither funny nor the sort of thing anyone, least of all children, should have to listen to.

Myself and daughter were on Hill on Saturday and moved to get away from eijit behind us who began mouthing during the anthem and then picked on Roscommon chap in front of us who response to Rossies scoring first point was "blow it up ref." :)

Clown thought that he was then obliged to respond with some "witticisms." Tiresome, but at least we and others could get away from him. Not so easy in the stands.

(Unfortunately, jimmytwotimes, having children with them is not a bar to some of these foul mouthed apes.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,336 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

A discounted family section

Premier league clubs do it

Fella in our section was constantly shouting "dirty C U Next Tuesdays" at the kerry players. Antagonised people around them who ended up giving verbals back.

Surely aiming to have families in a couple of sections isn't impossible, it won't, obviously, ever eliminate it but it might have a more family-orientated feel to it.

Was discussing too after Kerry-Mayo game that, on a very hot day with the stand full almost as soon as the gates opened that an OAP section could be an idea. One elderly gentleman stood by us on terrace and he wasn't comfortable at all.

Nothing will ever be perfect but we can look to do better too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Supporters making a concerted effort to insult players/teams with derogatory language - definitely out of order

Supporters f-ing and blinding on a whim at a bad pass/refereeing decision etc. - unavoidable tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Fella in our section was constantly shouting "dirty C U Next Tuesdays" at the kerry players. Antagonised people around them who ended up giving verbals back.

Surely aiming to have families in a couple of sections isn't impossible, it won't, obviously, ever eliminate it but it might have a more family-orientated feel to it.

Was discussing too after Kerry-Mayo game that, on a very hot day with the stand full almost as soon as the gates opened that an OAP section could be an idea. One elderly gentleman stood by us on terrace and he wasn't comfortable at all.

I thought they reimburse some money OAP's/Students for tickets in the Cusack at the gate? The auld guy had no real reason to get a terrace ticket. In particular when there were so many other tickets available.

I think it would also be an idea for the GAA to have tickets for seats kept free near entrances/exits for those that are elderly/infirm but not otherwise require a wheelchair ticket.
    I also noted that the upper cusack has small banisters on the steps (for example) whereas the lower cusack does not. This makes the world of difference for those with limited mobility and balance.

As for the fans f'n and blinding where I sit these days it rarely happens. It is normally good natured stuff.
    The only time I can remember was having an argument with a fellow Dub supporter who was f'n and blinding R O'G your'e shíte etc.
    I pulled him up on it and got abuse for my troubles. Worse still Dublin were winning at the time!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

I thought they reimburse some money OAP's/Students for tickets in the Cusack at the gate? The auld guy had no real reason to get a terrace ticket. In particular when there were so many other tickets available.

I think it would also be an idea for the GAA to have tickets for seats kept free near entrances/exits for those that are elderly/infirm but not otherwise require a wheelchair ticket.
    I also noted that the upper cusack has small banisters on the steps (for example) whereas the lower cusack does not. This makes the world of difference for those with limited mobility and balance.

As for the fans f'n and blinding where I sit these days it rarely happens. It is normally good natured stuff.
    The only time I can remember was having an argument with a fellow Dub supporter who was f'n and blinding R O'G your'e shíte etc.
    I pulled him up on it and got abuse for my troubles. Worse still Dublin were winning at the time!

The elderly man was at the killarney game. Stand filled very quickly as tickets were only general admission

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Was that section 326 in the lower hogan?

Was that section 326 in the lower hogan?

We were in that vicinity alright

Wouldn't be too keen on Ward. Usually just agrees with Parkinson's point. Actually, be great to have Parkinson in there for a night.

McStay is much better since he returned. He gives a good insight into how managers would be looking at this from logistical viewpoint etc.

I like how ward breaks down the decisions that players have to make and the thought process that goes into said decisions.

I think he’s very good- I think Parkinson is really, really good at analysing a game aswell. It’s just that bloody Laois accent

We were in that vicinity alright

There was a lad there shouting the whole match alright- he had serious anger management issues!

I can remember a foul by Gavin white after 4 or so mins and the Donegal lad shouts (with no hint of irony) “he’s at it all day ref”.

Guy was a grade A walloper

I like how ward breaks down the decisions that players have to make and the thought process that goes into said decisions.

I think he’s very good- I think Parkinson is really, really good at analysing a game aswell. It’s just that bloody Laois accent

Parkinson very good at breaking game down. IMO the likes of Anthony Moyles on OTB just kinda fires out general observations and clichéd views of teams

Parkinson very good at breaking game down. IMO the likes of Anthony Moyles on OTB just kinda fires out general observations and clichéd views of teams

It’s funny- I didn’t really like Parkinson as a pitch side reporter and saw him as a bit of a mouthpiece but ever since he got his own podcast going it has become very apparent that he’s a top level pundit. Funnily enough I know a few of the current Kerry & Dublin players are fans of his podcast.

As I said- it’s that midlands accent that I’m not a fan of but I guess people in glass houses, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Funniest cursing in front of kids I recall was in Tullamore in 70s with my Da and uncle when I was 11.

Laois woman near us on what was then the far bank had serious issues about Bobby Doyle, screaming for Bobby Miller to "break that fkn counts legs" and so on, even when ball was nowhere near either of them!

My Da got fed up so asked her nicely to keep it down for the sake of the childer.

In fairness, she apologised and smiled at us.

Five minutes later Doyle has the ball and your woman lets a roar:

"Break his legs, break his legs."

Expletives deleted, as was popular term at time around Watergate :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

It’s funny- I didn’t really like Parkinson as a pitch side reporter and saw him as a bit of a mouthpiece but ever since he got his own podcast going it has become very apparent that he’s a top level pundit. Funnily enough I know a few of the current Kerry & Dublin players are fans of his podcast.

As I said- it’s that midlands accent that I’m not a fan of but I guess people in glass houses, etc

Once it's not a Tralee accent I guess you'll just about get away with it ;)

Though I'm sure my, now affected, Ballyfermot accent might have an effect on some.

---

Wasn't or isn't the Lower Davin usually designated as the "Family Section"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭Barlett

thelad95 wrote: »
    What are people’s thoughts on the super 8s this year and last? Is it something likely to continue forward into the future? I’m not so sure.

I can’t help but feel a Luke warm tempo to the games, similar to a large proportion of games in Munster hurling this year.

The Kerry v Donegal game had an unusual feel to it. While it was a massively entertaining game, just lacked that extra bit of bite that would have been there if it was straight knock out.

I think it's awful to be honest, there are too many games together now and then huge gaps with nothing on, little to no build up for matches -particularly the semi finals and if a player picks up a knock instead of missing one game, they're potentially missing three depending on how the fixtures fall.

You're also not seeing teams at their best as fatigue becomes a much bigger part of the competition. People want to see teams at their best going at it, not teams at half pace. Think it's one of the worst ideas the GAA have come up with recently and hopefully it'll be done away with after next year, the second tier competition will also be a disaster. Shoe horning in new competitions or formats without a proper well though out process is a recipe for disaster, if anything the Super 8s are the worst part of the whole comeptition now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Like a family zone? Where the GAA publicly advertise and promote it and emphasis how they want parents to remain respectful? I think it would be a good idea. You already have them allocating the kids tickets together but publicly promoting better behaviour from the parents would be a good idea. If I'm on the hill surrounded by adults I'll give it socks but if in the stand close to families I'd be mortified.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Barlett wrote: »
    I think it's awful to be honest, there are too many games together now and then huge gaps with nothing on, little to no build up for matches -particularly the semi finals and if a player picks up a knock instead of missing one game, they're potentially missing three depending on how the fixtures fall.

You're also not seeing teams at their best as fatigue becomes a much bigger part of the competition. People want to see teams at their best going at it, not teams at half pace. Think it's one of the worst ideas the GAA have come up with recently and hopefully it'll be done away with after next year, the second tier competition will also be a disaster. Shoe horning in new competitions or formats without a proper well though out process is a recipe for disaster, if anything the Super 8s are the worst part of the whole comeptition now.

Agreed. 8,teams left playing 4 matches in an open draw in 4 neutral grounds in the 4 provinces is the way to go.

I think it was Ciaran Whelan on about it last night he wants 5 teams in two groups as he thinks it will work better.

In my opinion, the current thing was a good idea on paper more games/quality teams.
    But the backdoor system was the real killer to football overall I think, the 'do or die' cup feel is gone in the championship until the semis. The qualifiers rarely throw up a big game where one of the 'big names' are out of the championship.

There's way too much overkill also

In theory its the best 8 teams in Ireland. Ideally as a GAA fan I want to watch any matches involving these. With 4 on in one weekend - and on 3 separate weekends - its a serious ask, to get to see everything. Life has to just get in the way

The 4 (knockout) QFs were one of my highlights of the year overall, not even just the GAA year.

I think it was Ciaran Whelan on about it last night he wants 5 teams in two groups as he thinks it will work better.

In my opinion, the current thing was a good idea on paper more games/quality teams.
    But the backdoor system was the real killer to football overall I think, the 'do or die' cup feel is gone in the championship until the semis. The qualifiers rarely throw up a big game where one of the 'big names' are out of the championship.

I actually love the qualifiers idea. I think its been one of the best things to happen to Gaelic Football, but that's my personal opinion.

Has given us novel pairings, great matches, an increase in matches, and some romantic storylines.

jr86 wrote: »
    I actually love the qualifiers idea. I think its been one of the best things to happen to Gaelic Football, but that's my personal opinion.

Has given us novel pairings, great matches, an increase in matches, and some romantic storylines.

Ah I suppose it gave a few teams runs that they would never have had otherwise.
    Fermanagh had a run out of nowhere one year.
    But I think it has benefited the stronger teams more the weaker sides.
    At the same time it is hard to get everything right with the whole thing.
    But it has seemed to have ended up like a bit here and a bit there.
    What about putting a seeded round robin two groups in the provincials instead might breathe more life into them?

Anyway I better not waffle about it anymore or I will be told to go to the changes in the GAA thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Does anyone know the line up and dates for the semi finals? On GAA website, it has them both down for Sat Aug 11, but surely it will be one Sat and one Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Does anyone know the line up and dates for the semi finals? On GAA website, it has them both down for Sat Aug 11, but surely it will be one Sat and one Sunday?
    yeah its one each day like the hurling this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

yeah its one each day like the hurling this weekend

Thought so but has it been decided already whos playing who on what day? Just in case Mayo make it, ive something on Sat 10th but can postpone it in the next day or two

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭dobman88

Thought so but has it been decided already whos playing who on what day? Just in case Mayo make it, ive something on Sat 10th but can postpone it in the next day or two

Sure we wont know who's playing who and confirmed dates for 2 weeks at the earliest, after the last round of matches.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement