Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Good beginner jigs and reels for guitar

• 05-05-2019 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

I'm a decent guitarist looking to learn some trad songs to join in at sessions. Any recommendations?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Ngannou54 wrote: »
    I'm a decent guitarist looking to learn some trad songs to join in at sessions. Any recommendations?

Sorry you didn't get any replies, the forum has been quiet lately.

I think you should pick something that you like yourself, something that grabs you, that way you'll enjoy learning it. I'm a whistle player and I wouldn't go out of my way to learn a tune if I didn't like it so much. Though I would pick up a lot of these tunes I'm not so crazy about at sessions by ear. That's fine cause there's no practice involved at home. But if I like something and want to introduce it to a session I will actually study it at home.

Depends also what direction you want to go in. Are you talking about backing tunes or playing the actual melody itself on guitar?

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭ceatharloch

Blade wrote: »
    Sorry you didn't get any replies, the forum has been quiet lately.

I think you should pick something that you like yourself, something that grabs you, that way you'll enjoy learning it. I'm a whistle player and I wouldn't go out of my way to learn a tune if I didn't like it so much. Though I would pick up a lot of these tunes I'm not so crazy about at sessions by ear. That's fine cause there's no practice involved at home. But if I like something and want to introduce it to a session I will actually study it at home.

Depends also what direction you want to go in. Are you talking about backing tunes or playing the actual melody itself on guitar?

Thats "the crux" of the matter with trad on the guitar: 1) Play tunes note by note, or 2) Accompany. Both have their role and are useful. 1) is _much_ more difficult I would say, most guitarists don't do it. But it means you can lead on a tune / set of tunes. Unfortunately though, playing note by note on guitar can be pretty quiet (certainly compared to banjo) so you'd have to be in a careful session where the other musicians listen to you carefully. For 2) there is basic "strumming" starting with 3-chord trick, etc.: and then more fancy forms of accompanyment, arpeggios, syncopation,....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,659 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Good beginner jigs and reels for guitar
    I'm a decent guitarist looking to learn some trad songs to join in at sessions.

You have a fundamental choice to make: do you want to learn tunes (ie instrumental only works) or songs (ie pieces with a set of words and one or more vocal parts).

After that, go to a local session which has the type of music you want to play, and choose something you like from their repertoire, and learn that.

There's no point asking randomers on the interweb - because they likely won't be anywhere around for you to play with.

Advertisement