Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bin collection service

• 25-10-2020 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

Moving to Cabinteely within the next couple of momths. Never lived in a house. We are trying to choose our bin collection service. Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

We found greyhound very difficult to deal with. They charge €20 per bin to have them collected when you switch to another supplier.

There have also been unproven claims that they are owned and run by a drug dealing crime gang and burned out competitions trucks to stop them competing in an area.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Thanks for your answer

I am finding it annoying that the different companies don’t advertise their prices online. What’s with all the secrecy?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 dara10

Went with Panda as the previous residents had bins from there.
    They charge me
    Regular bin - €66 per year, €3.20 per lift + 27.7c per kg
    Recycling - 80c per lift + 4.5c per kg
    Compost - €22 per year, €2.56 per lift + 16c per kg
    I think its €5 for a bin wash.

Total for the last year came to €180 - household of 4. It was about 230 other years with a child in nappies and we were less conscious about the waste we generated.
    I have to keep an eye on the billing as a few times I've been charged for someone else's brown bin lifts (its listed as a different day which is how I notice).

I'd be interested to hear what the others charge as like you say its not on their websites.

dara10 wrote: »
    Went with Panda as the previous residents had bins from there.
    They charge me
    Regular bin - €66 per year, €3.20 per lift + 27.7c per kg
    Recycling - 80c per lift + 4.5c per kg
    Compost - €22 per year, €2.56 per lift + 16c per kg
    I think its €5 for a bin wash.

Total for the last year came to €180 - household of 4. It was about 230 other years with a child in nappies and we were less conscious about the waste we generated.
    I have to keep an eye on the billing as a few times I've been charged for someone else's brown bin lifts (its listed as a different day which is how I notice).

I'd be interested to hear what the others charge as like you say its not on their websites.

Thanks. As far as I know greyhound charges a flat fee. How many collections do you get with panda?

Regular bin is weekly and recycling and compost are every second week. You pay the lift fee plus weight charges any time you put the bin out.

• Advertisement

dara10 wrote: »
    Regular bin is weekly and recycling and compost are every second week. You pay the lift fee plus weight charges any time you put the bin out.

Not bad. I think with the flat fee of greyhound you get one collection per month, but I may be mistaken. Once a week is MUCH better

well it would get expensive if you put it out every week with the lift fee but good to have the option to put out as needed

• Registered Users Posts: 34 frogone

I switched from Panda to Greyhound as I prefer the fixed monthly price and I didn't like getting hit for Panda's 'service charge' (circa €130 IIRC) once a year.

Greyhound collect Green & Brown one week, black the second and so on. I haven't had any problems with them.

When I told Panda I was switching they called me back and offered to waive the service fee and charge me a fixed fee based on my historical usage. I didn't accept because I had switched but they said they'd keep it on file and if I want to switch back next year the offer is still there.

frogone wrote: »
    I switched from Panda to Greyhound as I prefer the fixed monthly price and I didn't like getting hit for Panda's 'service charge' (circa €130 IIRC) once a year.

Greyhound collect Green & Brown one week, black the second and so on. I haven't had any problems with them.

When I told Panda I was switching they called me back and offered to waive the service fee and charge me a fixed fee based on my historical usage. I didn't accept because I had switched but they said they'd keep it on file and if I want to switch back next year the offer is still there.

Good to hear that greyhound collect every 2 weeks. Looks like we will go with them then

• Registered Users Posts: 28,289 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Greyhound were quite keen to stop me switching to Panda, offering three months free and a reduced rate. I went ahead with the switch anyway, as all the neighbours are with Panda, and I don't want a truck coming up just for me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement