Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New combi boiler fitted, system losing pressure. What to do?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I'd imagine having fresh water in your system will void the manufacturer warranty on the boiler?

It is not the actual water itself that causes the problems, but the constant introduction of oxygen that's in the water.
    Through a process called oxidation, when a system is constantly topped up, or when a system is emptied and refilled, oxygen enters the system and iron oxide and aluminium hydroxide crystals begin to form. In short this the sludge that we refer to.
    If enough of it builds up it can clog boiler heat exchangers and damage circulation pump, nevermind the issues with radiators.
    So if sludge builds up to the point that it affects the boiler and a warranty call is put in, whoever comes out will check to see how clean the system water is.
    If the water is black from sludge they could deem the system to be dirty and not flushed clean as per their installation instructions and refuse to engage with the installer or the home owner as the dirty water has caused the boiler to break down not a failure due to their manufacturing process.
    In short, new boiler and dirty system water can void any warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭John.G

I think some even take a water sample depending on the warranty claim and check inhibitor levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

Thanks for the replies.

In fairness this will only be a temporary solution. I will be doing some major work in the house before the summer and will find and rectify the leak then.

He did stress to me that this is not a permanent solution and that the leak is still present and still has to be found.

I've a solid floor down in the living room, and I'm not ready to replace it. If I pull it up to have a look at pipes underneath it's obviously not going back down.

If it was carpet, or even a laminate, it'd be up by now.

Advertisement