Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Entry-level Midi keyboard?

• 18-11-2020 1:08pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've been thinking of getting a midi keyboard for messing around with and was wondering what a good starting point is.

Don't want to spend a huge amount as I'm not sure how much use I'll get out of it - but at the same time I don't want to just get the cheapest option that ends up being crap... I'm okay spending a few quid extra if it gives a better set of features or the like.

I'd mainly be planning to use it with my Mac and/or iPad (have a Lightening-USB adaptor) - probably just in Garageband for a start and probably just for messing around with some basic compositions and sound design (I can play a bit of piano if that makes any odds on recommendation).

What's a good starting point (or price point) to go for?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 743 Mod ✭✭✭✭TroutMask

Hi Flogen,
    there's so many, and one way to narrow it down is to decide on features, I'll separate them out here:

a) number of keys—people with previous piano experience tend to prefer more keys (61, 76 or 88); for the rest of us, we get by with 25 or 49 keys.
    b) related to this is key action, how the keyboard feels—the more mid-to-expensive models tend to feel better, really cheap ones can trigger well, but feel 'plastic-ey'
    c) controllers—some really cheap models don't even have a proper mod wheel and pitch bend wheel, the bare minimum (if you plan on using these features). Some keyboards come with additional banks of controllers that can be used to change parameters in the software — these are MIDI controllers too and can be useful.

iPad — I've seen a few people use the iPad (and have used it myself) with varying degrees of success, some plug in controllers/audio cards can disconnect when the iPad goes to sleep, which is very stress-inducing live. I use a KORG Plug KEY which adds an extra layer of cost, but delivers a great sound and connects via the ubiquitous 5-pin MIDI standard and so is compatible with a huge number of MIDI controllers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

TroutMask wrote: »
    Hi Flogen,
    there's so many, and one way to narrow it down is to decide on features, I'll separate them out here:

a) number of keys—people with previous piano experience tend to prefer more keys (61, 76 or 88); for the rest of us, we get by with 25 or 49 keys.
    b) related to this is key action, how the keyboard feels—the more mid-to-expensive models tend to feel better, really cheap ones can trigger well, but feel 'plastic-ey'
    c) controllers—some really cheap models don't even have a proper mod wheel and pitch bend wheel, the bare minimum (if you plan on using these features). Some keyboards come with additional banks of controllers that can be used to change parameters in the software — these are MIDI controllers too and can be useful.

iPad — I've seen a few people use the iPad (and have used it myself) with varying degrees of success, some plug in controllers/audio cards can disconnect when the iPad goes to sleep, which is very stress-inducing live. I use a KORG Plug KEY which adds an extra layer of cost, but delivers a great sound and connects via the ubiquitous 5-pin MIDI standard and so is compatible with a huge number of MIDI controllers.

Thanks so much for that (totally forgot to reply at the time).

I wouldn't be too pushed with having it full-size, or close to full size. I'd say 49 would probably work fine for the most part!

On the key 'feel' it seems like it's a similar situation as with digital pianos - you have to pay a bit more to get weighted keys and a more "real" piano feel.

Wouldn't imagine I'd have any live uses, so it disconnecting when the iPad goes to sleep wouldn't be a major problem - but thanks for the heads up in terms of it potentially being a consideration!

Advertisement