Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish comic shops, online comic shops and other resources

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Think this is the right thread for this (didn't want to bump the old ipad thread).

A Comic Book Lover’s Guide to Going Digital

Hopefully it hasn't already been posted somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭firstprime

I'm going up to check out some comic shops in Dublin over this weekend and I want to check out Dublin city comics. Is their "geekeasy" (which is one of the most clever things I've heard in a long time) available to anyone or just regular customers, and also how helpful and friendly are the staff? I've heard that the staff in some of Dublins comic shops can be Somewhat ignorant and only interested in business.

Also, does anyone know what the average cost of bags and boards in Dublin is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

The Geekeasy does ask for a membership.
    But I'm sure they'll let you look around before you make a decision about it.
    And it does come with Wi-Fi and access to all the electronics in the room.

They've had some fun video video game days. And the movie nights are
    "interesting". The Staff are friendly and enthusiastic.
    Although Christy isn't too knowledgeable on the comics front. But he does try.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Was up in both last week looking for a Marvel Select Figure and Dublin City Comics were very helpful going as far as even giving me a card and a mobile to call if i needed anything else, Forbidden Planet on the other hand seems like you're not even wanted in the shop sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭firstprime

So I was recently in Dublin and I got a chance to visit the three major comic shops. When I was planning this trip I found that there is a lack of information on these shops available online. I thought maybe it might help somebody out if I posted my opinions of the stores here.

Forbidden Planet:

This is the first shop I visited and the shop that I (not being from Dublin) based my directions around. My first impression of this shop was good, and there aren't really any major faults to be found. when you first enter this shop you are greeted by shelves filled with action figures, comic book and film memorabilia, and all manner of toys and paraphernalia ranging from anime and manga books to various forms of tribute to nerd culture. I enjoyed browsing through this immensely but the real reason I came was comics. There is a stairs just beside the entrance that leads into the basement and as a comic fan who has never been in a real comic shop, I felt as if I had just discovered the entrance to narnia. The entire lower level of the shop is full of comics and graphic novels. One entire wall is lined with new releases and the rest are packed with graphic novels. On one wall there are boxes full of a few thousand back issues (which I took great delight in rummaging through). The shop was very organised and everything was priced, filed and easy to find. The staff seem somewhat uninterested and while they were not ignorant and answered any questions I had, they weren't exactly enthusiastic and never offered to help any customers. while I was there they actually closed the secondary checkout in the comic area and two of them stood at one counter chatting. The comic prices were steep and as best as I can remember they added roughly two euro on to the American cover price so a $2.99 comic costs €4.99. The back issues however were very reasonably priced at just €1 per issue (a deal that I readily took advantage of). Overall this was the worst of the shops I visited, but still worth checking out.

Score: 7/10

Sub City:

This was the second shop I visited and It's not far Forbidden Planet. The shop is very small and only had one staff member who sat behind the checkout. the store itself was absolutely packed with comic books, graphic novels and a few action figures and models. Here the new comics were priced slightly better than in Forbidden Planet but the selection was considerably smaller. This shop had the same €1 deal on back issues but the selection of these was vastly superior to Forbidden planet with at least ten times the amount of comics on display and many more stacked in boxes in, under and around shelves. I regrettably left here too soon to meet someone and never got a chance to properly probe the boxes and boxes of back issues, when I get a chance to return to Dublin this will likely be the largest drain on my time and my wallet. This shop also has a large selection of Irish indie comics which I believe they publish in house under the brand "Atomic Diner". I have nothing to say about the staff but overall this shop was very impressive and is especially good for anyone on a tight budget.

Score: 8/10

Dublin City Comics:

This shop is a bit more out of the way (10-15 minute walk), but definitely worth it. My biggest regret was leaving this shop until last when I had very little money or time left. I had heard great things about this shop, especially the staff, and from my brief time here it seems to be true. From when i entered the store until I left the staff were very friendly and helpful. They seemed like they enjoyed their work too, and there was a very laid back atmosphere inside. they had a small selection of back issues for €1 and a good selection of new release comics that they match to the US cover price in euro, so a $2.99 comic will be €2.99, which is incredible. I also picked up some short-boxes for comic storage here for €5 each which were €8.99 each in Forbidden Planet. I cannot say much more about this shop as I wasn't there for long, but next time it will definitely be my first stop.

Score: 9.5/10

Overall I must say that all of the shops were good, and each had something going for it that makes it worth the trip. I recommend checking out at least one of them, and if you have some time and cash to spare, then make a day of it and give each one a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Burky126

Brand New Irish comic site dedicated to the Irish comic scene.

http://www.irishcomicnews.com/

Regular contributors include Tommie Kelly, (DOWN/ROAD CREW), Gar Shanley (Windell Superhero Showcase), Patrick Brown (The Cattle Raid Of Cooley)
    Hilary Lawler (Superhilbo!) and David O' Leary

Featuring interviews,forums and Event guides.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Right, I've updated the list of shops, links etc and trimmed a bunch of the older, now-out-of-date posts. I've removed the old map link as it was a bit rubbish, really - I'll try to replace it with links to Google Map locations when I get some time soon.

In the meantime if you've any further info to add or update for the shops listed, or other useful links, please put them in comments below.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Hatgirl

There's a new comic shop opening tomorrow (17Aug11) in Dundrum, Dublin!
    The Big Bang
    Pembroke Sq., Dundrum Town Centre
    thebigbang.ie
    Twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

There's now a comic shop in the National Wax Museum, Dublin, of all places! I think it's Story, formerly of Crow Street.

http://www.waxmuseumplus.ie/WhatsNew.html
    "THE COMIC SHOP NOW OPEN

We have just launched very own comic shop, featuring rare and collectable comics all at very reasonable prices. The Comic shop is very fitting as well as seeing all your favourite super heroes in hall of fame you will now get a chance to take a super hero comic home with you as a souvenir of your visit."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 jmean

do you need to buy a ticket to visit the comic shop in the Wax Museum, and is it really the stock from crows corner?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭gothictwilight

Had the pleasure if visiting the big bang in Dundrum yesterday, even though he shop is small the selection is quite good and the staff very friendly. Highly reccomend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 midleton92

Im currently in college in Limerick and was wondering is there any place in Limerick to buy comics. Other than that is there a way to order them weekly and receive in the post??

jmean wrote: »
    do you need to buy a ticket to visit the comic shop in the Wax Museum, and is it really the stock from crows corner?

No, you don't need a museum ticket. The comic are in the gift shop, which is on your right when you go into the building.

The labels on the comic bags are the same as the Crow's Corner ones - big white labels with the name of the comic and a price in sterling typed on it.

Ooh, new comic book shop!

Roswell Comics, Irishtown, Athlone, Ireland
    https://www.facebook.com/RoswellComics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 KidDunne

@midleton, best bet is ebay,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Niallwithaz

I dont know if this is the right thread for this but I'd recommend for people looking for graphic novels that they check out the local county council libraries. Mine has a great selection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 thewatcher87

Think this may be the place to put my site,

http://www.outerrealmcomics.com

Am hoping to see some of you there, will have a back issue store up and a forum for everyone to chat on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 poiuytsam

what comic Tees , its hard to get some of the characters on good t shirts, I was in the Usa and there was a great shop that sold amzing tee , is there any shops / good sites?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 JK_Comics

Excellent new comic back catalogue just opened in Ireland. You can pick up your comics at Dublin City Comics or other participating comic shops. Search the catalogue in-store or online. Check out HT-Comics.com its Ireland's largest comic back catalogue and claims to offer the lowest prices anywhere!

www.HT-Comics.com

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Dunno if many of you are on facebook im part of UK/Ireland Comic Collectors club be great to more Irish people on there https://www.facebook.com/index.php?lh=9af501a414cb3a9b6e08e1008c482d88&eu=fSdj7uWymMACD4u_ufvZNA#!/groups/238363196209356/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 ami1989

For Tipperary there's Tall Tales in Clonmel. It's not the best for comics tbh but he does orders. Easons have a very small selection too.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭statomosh

Sucity dublin are having a signing by judge dredd writer michael carroll on 5th of january.
    https://www.facebook.com/events/460180290690231/

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

The Comix Stop shop in Waterford has closed down now, it's been gone for a while really..

• Registered Users Posts: 28 darapixie

A new comic shop just opened in Maynooth. Literally THOUSANDS of comics in the shop and very respectable prices. Not too many graphic novels but they say they're still adding to the stock and new comics are available by request. They are wiling to take trade-ins which is handy.

It can be a bit tricky to find too (up the stairs and around the corner just off the Main Street in Maynooth) but they're friendly and have a seemingly endless collection of back issues. Definitely worth taking a look!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 booladen

Is there any kind of fairs coming up to swap or sell comics? I have a big collection and would like to sell/swap some of them. Just wondering if there is anywhere I can move some. cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

There's a comic mart in Central Hotel on the first sat of every month. If you contact the guys behind that you should be able to set up a stall. Go on FB and search for Dublin Comic Mart

Thwip! wrote: »
    There's a comic mart in Central Hotel on the first sat of every month. If you contact the guys behind that you should be able to set up a stall. Go on FB and search for Dublin Comic Mart

Thanks Thwip I'l check that out, sounds good. Do many attend? Also if anybody knows of any social clubs or anything for comics, I'm a fan but unfortunately absolutely none of my friends are (I'm the general geek of the gang :) )

Thanks for the help

booladen wrote: »
    Thanks Thwip I'l check that out, sounds good. Do many attend? Also if anybody knows of any social clubs or anything for comics, I'm a fan but unfortunately absolutely none of my friends are (I'm the general geek of the gang :) )

Thanks for the help

Quite a few... It's how i fill out most of my back collection

I know there's a Comic Appreciation Club in Dub too. Then there's us guys here :)

Thwip! wrote: »

Quite a few... It's how i fill out most of my back collection

I know there's a Comic Appreciation Club in Dub too. Then there's us guys here :)

Cool I might just become one of you guys :-) can you tell me do many go to the comic mart, many stalls and attendants? I'l ring tomorrow anyway but I'm getting excited :-)

• Advertisement

booladen wrote: »
    Cool I might just become one of you guys :-) can you tell me do many go to the comic mart, many stalls and attendants? I'l ring tomorrow anyway but I'm getting excited :-)

Quite a few tbh, it's in its infancy but its growing each month

Advertisement