Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Upcoming DC Extended Universe (DCEU) Movies

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Listening to a podcast dissecting WW84 reminded that Shazam exists; I had honestly forgotten it was ever released, or indeed that I actually quite enjoyed it too - to the point I'd rate it as one of the better (best?) DC solo movies. Feels like the forgotten DCEU film in many respects or maybe that's just me? Perhaps it's 'cos Shazam himself never figured within the Justice League?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Shazam fell between the cracks due to a combination of box office and fans being split over the direction of the DC verse I think.

For me personally I remember being so desponded over the direction of the DCEU that I didn't even bother seeing it in the cinema though I did like it when I finally sat down to watch it.

It was released at a weird time too when everything was up in the air. People didn't know what was happening with the DCEU (people were even saying it was dead bar Aquaman and WW getting sequels).

It all contributed to an air of indifference towards the film I think. The Cavill thing hung over the film like a dark cloud too I think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Shazam fell between the cracks due to a combination of box office and fans being split over the direction of the DC verse I think.

For me personally I remember being so desponded over the direction of the DCEU that I didn't even bother seeing it in the cinema though I did like it when I finally sat down to watch it.

It was released at a weird time too when everything was up in the air. People didn't know what was happening with the DCEU (people were even saying it was dead bar Aquaman and we getting sequels).

It all contributed to an air of indifference towards the film I think. The Cavill thing hung over the film like a dark cloud too I think.

That's true; which is a shame 'cos as I think more on it, the better my memory of it gets. Like a big heady mix of Big! meets Ghostbusters meets Superman, and David F. Sandberg did an excellent making all those competing aspects gel together - while avoiding any of them overpowering the film's own identity. The young cast were really solid, the jokes landed, the character arcs worked. But I guess its inherent lowkey approach probably didn't help either - compared with the blugeoning overblown chaos of Aquaman.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I enjoyed the Shazam! but those kids aren't getting any younger, they'd want to get a move on with the sequel and I know the pandemic isn't helping.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I can't remember if they confirmed if Shazam was in the same universe as Justice League or not. Think that was one of the things they seemed reluctant to say before it was released and then it turned out it was?

• Advertisement

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I can't remember if they confirmed if Shazam was in the same universe as Justice League or not. Think that was one of the things they seemed reluctant to say before it was released and then it turned out it was?

I think they confirmed at DC Fandome that Shazam/Black Universe are a different universe to the one JL took place in. Well for now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,281 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

There was plenty of Easter Eggs in Shazam to say it was in the DCEU anyway and it down as the 7th film of the series between Aquaman and Birds of Prey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Loads of easter eggs, and didn´t 2 of the big guns appear at the end for school lunch...

whats the Black Universe?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Ridley

Loads of easter eggs, and didn´t 2 of the big guns appear at the end for school lunch...

whats the Black Universe?

"Shazam/Black Adam" I think.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I think the reality of the DCEU's continuity is whatever they currently feel like is in it, is in it.

Which is a mistake. The MCU, Star Wars, Star Trek - they all have clear lines where continuity is drawn and fans lap it up as a basis for discussion (Star Trek has suffered ever since they had their continuity mess with the viacom split).

You can't have something as stunning as Portals or earth shattering as "I am your father" if there is no solid world behind them for them to matter, imo. That's when serialised storytelling really works. In my opinion, of course, creators also need the freedom to knock out the odd Joker or begin a Dark Knight trilogy.

• Advertisement

Peacemaker started filming today.

So it looks like The Suicide Squad will just be a glorified pilot episode for this as both are now on HBO Max.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Peacemaker started filming today.

So it looks like The Suicide Squad will just be a glorified pilot episode for this as both are now on HBO Max.

According to Gunn it was more he had time to kill during COVID as everything had stopped filming and realised he could milk another show out of it.

SS is such a bigger property than this and without COVID I don't think there is a chance it was getting released on HBO Max (like all the movies they are releasing there in 2021).

Applying some big picture game is going way too far.

A rumour about Sofia Boutella appearing in the Snyder Cut is starting to gather some momentum, allegedly as
    Grail, Darkseid's daughter

https://theculturednerd.org/2020/05/zack-snyder-may-have-just-confirmed-the-rumour-that-sofia-boutella-is-darkseids-daughter-grail-in-justice-league/

I do like what I've seen of her between Kingsman and The Mummy, she has a certain presence on screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭ThePott

Seems kinda unnecessary but sure, why not

ThePott wrote: »
    Seems kinda unnecessary but sure, why not

That could be the subtitle for the entire thing.
    JUSTICE LEAGUE: SNYDER CUT

Seems kind of unnecessary- but sure, why not

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I'd accept more Sofia Boutella in most programming tbf

So not really the Snyder Cut if she wasn't originally due to appear.
    And what's the sense in introducing new characters when this isn't canon.
    Though I see a separate campaign to make the Snyder Cut canon.

Not that it's easy to say what is canon in the DC movies.

Is it wrong to kinda hope this version is worse than the theatrical cut?

That would be some achievement but I suppose wanting it to be bad so it will finally kill the Snyderverse is somewhat understandable.

Well if the scenes were filmed in 2016 and left on the cutting room floor then I would say she was part of the original cut and if Snyder is re-adding her then it is part of the Snyder Cut of the original footage for me.

Well if the scenes were filmed in 2016 and left on the cutting room floor then I would say she was part of the original cut and if Snyder is re-adding her then it is part of the Snyder Cut of the original footage for me.

There was no "Snyder cut". It never existed, stated repeatedly by people involved. You'll tie yourself up in knots trying to make sense of this. There was nothing approaching done when Snyder's family had their tragedy. Defining it is like trying to grab wisps of smoke.

Warner Bros is using the concept as a nice marketing thing for the reshoots. Remember this is all basically just a ploy to get the rabid Snyder fanboys to sign up to HBO max. Honestly, to me, it seems like throwing bad money after good, the DCEU only got in any way interesting when Snyder stopped being involved. But I'd like to be happily surprised.

• Advertisement

There was no "Snyder cut". It never existed, stated repeatedly by people involved. You'll tie yourself up in knots trying to make sense of this. There was nothing approaching done when Snyder's family had their tragedy. Defining it is like trying to grab wisps of smoke.

Warner Bros is using the concept as a nice marketing thing for the reshoots. Remember this is all basically just a ploy to get the rabid Snyder fanboys to sign up to HBO max. Honestly, to me, it seems like throwing bad money after good, the DCEU only got in any way interesting when Snyder stopped being involved. But I'd like to be happily surprised.

From what I recall Snyder had a cut that was shown to execs, but it was a cut done based on the reaction to BvS and Geoff Johns' notes. The reshoots that were being filmed by Snyder recently were to bring back more content was his very first draft so it is indeed splitting hairs; there was no true original cut, but that is what Snyder is trying to deliver now with his reshoots anyway so it's much of a muchness. It's just moving goalposts really to argue over it.

I'd agree that at this point it causes unnecessary roadblocks and I'm not particularly pushed on seeing more Snyder stuff in the DC verse beyond this curious spectacle, but I'm happy for the fans that pushed for it. Before this happened the fans never won on a scale like this but they did massively here. Again we can split hairs about whether they really won and how it's just a business transaction for HBO Max, but it's all irrelevant at this point as they're still getting what they pushed for.

I think the rabid fanboy jibes are tiresome as well as if you check Twitter and YouTube channels, there's plenty of women across a multitude of cultures that were part of the "movement". Just because a few head cases took it too far (and there will always be head cases in every fandom) that doesn't mean it's reflective of an entire group. If it was, I don't think AT&T would be supporting this in anyway given their attitude towards Whedon. They not only removed him from DC Films but from his very own show that he was producing for HBO Max, so they don't seem to have much patience for alleged toxicity.

From what I recall Snyder had a cut that was shown to execs, but it was a cut done based on the reaction to BvS and Geoff Johns' notes. The reshoots that were being filmed by Snyder recently were to bring back more content was his very first draft so it is indeed splitting hairs; there was no true original cut, but that is what Snyder is trying to deliver now with his reshoots anyway so it's much of a muchness. It's just moving goalposts really to argue over it.

I'd agree that at this point it causes unnecessary roadblocks and I'm not particularly pushed on seeing more Snyder stuff in the DC verse beyond this curious spectacle, but I'm happy for the fans that pushed for it. Before this happened the fans never won on a scale like this but they did massively here. Again we can split hairs about whether they really won and how it's just a business transaction for HBO Max, but it's all irrelevant at this point as they're still getting what they pushed for.

I think the rabid fanboy jibes are tiresome as well as if you check Twitter and YouTube channels, there's plenty of women across a multitude of cultures that were part of the "movement". Just because a few head cases took it too far (and there will always be head cases in every fandom) that doesn't mean it's reflective of an entire group. If it was, I don't think AT&T would be supporting this in anyway given their attitude towards Whedon. They not only removed him from DC Films but from his very own show that he was producing for HBO Max, so they don't seem to have much patience for alleged toxicity.

You seem to be implying a lot more out of rabid fanboys than fanboys who are rabid. Really didn't intend that. I'm a rabid fanboy for a lot of things, I'd be a rabid fanboy for the new She-Ra, nothing toxic about that :D

If I'd called them comicgaters- which I absolutely did not mean to imply about Snyder fans- then yes, that'd be utterly unfair. Apologies if it read that way.

My issue with the thing about the rushes being called the Snyder cut and people thinking they've "won" isn't really to belittle the fans. My problem is huge companies like Warner manipulating people into thinking they've won a battle against them and fought the machine when it appears to be all part of a corporate strategy, and that does annoy me.

But sure if the people who think that are happy with the result I guess it's all academic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Looks proper Snydery. Down to how the story is and fights are done at this point I'd guess.

Yeah I'm not seeing anything there that makes me want to see this tbh. Very more of the same.

Still hope to be proven wrong.

Filming of The Flash has started.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Filming of The Flash has started.

Finally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭kerplun k

I think it was October 2014 when I first heard EM was cast. Mad that it’s finally started filming.

Not an upcoming film but 2 new comic series have been announced.
    Batman 89 will continue the story of Keaton's Batman after Batman Returns.
    Superman 78 will continue Reeve's Superman story. Not sure if it's ignoring any of the sequels. They said Lois doesn't know his identity yet. So which film did he not make her forget?

• Advertisement

Not an upcoming film but 2 new comic series have been announced.
    Batman 89 will continue the story of Keaton's Batman after Batman Returns.
    Superman 78 will continue Reeve's Superman story. Not sure if it's ignoring any of the sequels. They said Lois doesn't know his identity yet. So which film did he not make her forget?

Burton's Batman lives again through the art?
    tenor-2.gif

Advertisement