20-01-2021, 20:31   #76
beauf

Quote:
Originally Posted by saneman View Post
Probably the best answer

And do continue with the books, they flesh out the story so much more. While there have been some changes between book & tv show the overall arc has been consistent.
Enjoying the books. I'm impressed with how they translated the books to screen. As was said there's a greater scale to the books. Though the core stuff is much the same, and a lot of differences.
Advertisement
20-01-2021, 20:37   #77
Cork_exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauf View Post
Is that why Ireland is a Tech hub, now because all our best people left...

I don't see it.

Our people left (starved), in droves during a preindustrial period.

Could we, cut off from trading partners, survive as a tech hub if we reduced our population to 1.5million again rapidly?
An Ireland where not being a tech hub equals death
20-01-2021, 20:49   #78
beauf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cork_exile View Post
Our people left (starved), in droves during a preindustrial period.

Could we, cut off from trading partners, survive as a tech hub if we reduced our population to 1.5million again rapidly?
An Ireland where not being a tech hub equals death
I was more thinking of the emigration, in the 90's and 80s, even 2000s.
Our continued focus on education, etc.
Even its completely over stated compared to other countries.
20-01-2021, 20:52   #79
correct horse battery staple

The Mars dynamic is similar to what happened in America during the westward expansion, people were flooding into Midwest to pursue their dreams and escape overcrowded old world (Europe back then didn’t have agri tech to support much larger populations, and of course constant wars didn’t make for nice place)

But the gold was found in west, and it was mostly those in middle who got pulled west, the country to this day has majority of population not living in middle but sticking coasts

Other good sci-fi books that explore this dynamic would be Commonwealth Saga (gates to new planets) and Long Earth (parallel universe earths)
20-01-2021, 21:09   #80
beauf

Quote:
Originally Posted by correct horse battery staple View Post
The Mars dynamic is similar to what happened in America during the westward expansion, people were flooding into Midwest to pursue their dreams and escape overcrowded old world (Europe back then didn’t have agri tech to support much larger populations, and of course constant wars didn’t make for nice place)

But the gold was found in west, and it was mostly those in middle who got pulled west, the country to this day has majority of population not living in middle but sticking coasts

Other good sci-fi books that explore this dynamic would be Commonwealth Saga (gates to new planets) and Long Earth (parallel universe earths)
Good tip thanks.

Did the east or the europe collapse? Did their culture change because so many left. (I'm going to ignore the US fascination with Cowboys).
Advertisement
20-01-2021, 21:20   #81
pixelburp

Quote:
Good tip thanks.

Did the east or the europe collapse? Did their culture change because so many left. (I'm going to ignore the US fascination with Cowboys).
I don't think any earth culture really digs into a single project as much as Mars does though. Even grand projects like the Pyramids pale in comparison. Wish I had the pertinent pages in the books to hand, as the writers did a great job selling this idea of an entire planet existing for the single purpose of terraforming its surface. A collosal undertaking that relied on a population that was much higher skilled than Earth's (IIRC most on earth don't have jobs and live on universal income), so would struggle to replace skills if they upped and left for the Gates.

Wait, I think we've been here already lol
20-01-2021, 21:26   #82
breezy1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by correct horse battery staple View Post

Hello Mr. Murtry glad to have you on Boards.ie
20-01-2021, 21:34   #83
beauf

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelburp View Post

Wait, I think we've been here already lol
Exactly.

my experience of the books, (Just finished the first one), is they fill in a lot of the back story of why people do what they do in the expanse.
Much of which is implied or never explained in the TV show. So I'm sure it will add a lot more weight to the story in the TV show.
20-01-2021, 21:39   #84
correct horse battery staple

Quote:
Good tip thanks.

Mars Spoiler: didn’t collapse in books, they lost a chunk of comparatively small (to earth) population to colonies Spoiler: and a third of the fleet from what I remember, more like a severe depression, definitely not Irish famine scale or billions that die on earth due to the rocks falling we seen. Gates did put a pressure on their ideology, someone mentioned Soviet Union falling apart its quite apt imho, Russia is still there just much more diminished by any measure (population, economy, prestige etc)

Last edited by correct horse battery staple; 20-01-2021 at 22:08.
Advertisement
20-01-2021, 21:41   #85
beauf

Maybe you should put spoilers around that??????

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion