Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Post your Tracks - Give Feedback here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Gone pretty quiet in here, I thought during lockdown that I would get more time to finish some tracks but it's ends up the opposite has been the case!

Anyway, just finished this track yesterday and would be interested to hear feedback.

https://soundcloud.com/mantraveba/pent-up

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭keithkk16

jiltloop wrote: »
    Gone pretty quiet in here, I thought during lockdown that I would get more time to finish some tracks but it's ends up the opposite has been the case!

Anyway, just finished this track yesterday and would be interested to hear feedback.

https://soundcloud.com/mantraveba/pent-up

Lovely track you have there with nice chill out vibes. I had a listen to it last night before I went to bed. The only thing I didn't really like or thought that didn't fit was the snares coming in after the 2 minute point. They are a bit too loud or too punchy, they kind of take the chill out vibe away from the track, that just my 2 cents anyway everything else sounds great.

Ps yeah this place is dead these days unfortunately. Do you know of any other sites/forums or reddit pages that would be similar to this?

keithkk16 wrote: »
    Lovely track you have there with nice chill out vibes. I had a listen to it last night before I went to bed. The only thing I didn't really like or thought that didn't fit was the snares coming in after the 2 minute point. They are a bit too loud or too punchy, they kind of take the chill out vibe away from the track, that just my 2 cents anyway everything else sounds great.

Ps yeah this place is dead these days unfortunately. Do you know of any other sites/forums or reddit pages that would be similar to this?

Great feedback thanks man. Is it just the snare sound that you think is an issue or the overall change in pace of the beat?

There's none I can think of that are active unfortunately. I see there is a very quiet area of the gearslutz forum that is for track feedback, not much more activity than here. It's a pity because that would be the perfect place if it was more active. I might throw the track up there and see if there's much response.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

https://www.reddit.com/r/WeAreTheMusicMakers/ This subreddit is pretty good, it has weekly threads you can post tracks and get feedback.

I think the track is good, especially towards the end of the track it's quite nice.
    The snare doesn't fit I feel also. It sounds like an electro snappy/synthetic sort of thing. Maybe something more acoustic and subtle would fit better or even a rimshot.

I think there could be a bit more contrast and space with regards the mix. There are some elements which are overlapping in frequency range which makes it hard to distinguish them. Can be enough just to EQ them a bit and pan them. You could definitely add some more reverb and push somethings further back. Especially things that are repeating frequently, they don't need to be so upfront.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

This is my latest tune. It's from an album I've just completed, taking a slightly conceptual approach in that I thought, what would this sound like if it was made in the late 80s / early 90s?

Now, I get that it doesn't really *sound* like an 80s (or 90s) track, but the great thing was having that idea in my mind, so when I was making decisions or looking for sounds, I had somewhere to go. It's always good to try and think differently. I even went that way for the artwork. :)

• Advertisement

This is my latest tune. It's from an album I've just completed, taking a slightly conceptual approach in that I thought, what would this sound like if it was made in the late 80s / early 90s?

Now, I get that it doesn't really *sound* like an 80s (or 90s) track, but the great thing was having that idea in my mind, so when I was making decisions or looking for sounds, I had somewhere to go. It's always good to try and think differently. I even went that way for the artwork. :)

I really enjoyed that, lovely mellow vibes. I can hear the 80/90s sound you had in mind, the drums definitely have an 80s vibe and there's a sheen of 90s over the whole track that kind of reminds me of My Bloody Valentine (but with a more cheery disposition :pac:).

I think I always enjoy your music when you post and I remember really enjoying an album you were giving away for free a few years back.

Anima wrote: »
    https://www.reddit.com/r/WeAreTheMusicMakers/ This subreddit is pretty good, it has weekly threads you can post tracks and get feedback.

I think the track is good, especially towards the end of the track it's quite nice.
    The snare doesn't fit I feel also. It sounds like an electro snappy/synthetic sort of thing. Maybe something more acoustic and subtle would fit better or even a rimshot.

I think there could be a bit more contrast and space with regards the mix. There are some elements which are overlapping in frequency range which makes it hard to distinguish them. Can be enough just to EQ them a bit and pan them. You could definitely add some more reverb and push somethings further back. Especially things that are repeating frequently, they don't need to be so upfront.

Thanks for taking the time to comment man, I know what you both mean about the snare, it's got too much body. Funnily enough it's actualy an acoustic kit that I used for the drums so it's meant to be an acoustic snare. I've gone back to the track and think I have found a better suited snare (I always find it hard replacing elements and trying to assess whether it suits better or not!).

I've also gone and applied some more instances of EQ across some of the elements and hopefully have cleaned up some frequency clashes a little bit. it's not something I'm confident on, I've always struggled to finish tracks (and get better with song structure) which meant I didn't get much experience with getting down in to my mixes and learning EQing and compresssion. After switching to Ableton I've found it suits me much better for finishing tracks but I see that my skills around the final polishing and tweaking now need more focus and refinement, which is a great development for me.

So I've been making some changes to the track and I think there's a little more work needed, I'll post up version 2 later this week (or maybe this evening) and would be delighted if anyone found time for a second listen.

jiltloop wrote: »
    I really enjoyed that, lovely mellow vibes. I can hear the 80/90s sound you had in mind, the drums definitely have an 80s vibe and there's a sheen of 90s over the whole track that kind of reminds me of My Bloody Valentine (but with a more cheery disposition :pac:).

I think I always enjoy your music when you post and I remember really enjoying an album you were giving away for free a few years back.

Cheers, I appreciate your comments! Yes MBV are a big influence on me (I also play guitar in a shoegaze band, Sun Mahshene). I've started incorporating shoegaze guitars into my music recently and have a touch of that in this track too.

Can't remember what album that was! :) But glad you liked it!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 auplant

Listen to Sir! by Auplant on #SoundCloud
    https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/X5ASg

150bpm psytrance hardtrance bs, this track doesn't have any emotion, so do not listen if you seek emotion

can you guess which movie I took vocals from?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

auplant wrote: »
    Listen to Sir! by Auplant on #SoundCloud
    https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/X5ASg

150bpm psytrance hardtrance bs, this track doesn't have any emotion, so do not listen if you seek emotion

can you guess which movie I took vocals from?

I'm partial to the harder stuff myself so the good for me was the kick, the bassline and the sawtooth style synth hits. Maybe it's just me showing my age but the rest of me melodic selects almost sound too clean. I'm used to listenig the 90s era stuff of that type. Maybe a bit crusher or tape simulator would help to give the sounds a warmer, grittier feel which would make the overall track fit better together.
    Just my opinion of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 auplant

mordeith wrote: »
    I'm partial to the harder stuff myself so the good for me was the kick, the bassline and the sawtooth style synth hits. Maybe it's just me showing my age but the rest of me melodic selects almost sound too clean. I'm used to listenig the 90s era stuff of that type. Maybe a bit crusher or tape simulator would help to give the sounds a warmer, grittier feel which would make the overall track fit better together.
    Just my opinion of course.
    Thanks for the opinion, I think the "slap" on the punch came out too much, I did something wrong constructing the kick.
    I might change some things again some time, maybe raise the delay volume on the lead as well. I wasn't too sure about the track though so I left it. Thanks for the review - much appreciated :)
    It was mostly just something I put together while having fun with the Trancedrive synth. It's a really old VST instrument which I liked because it had good effects in it, and interesting oscs.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Van Doozy

Would appreciate feedback on a remix I did for a competition. I thought it was decent enough, didn't get anywhere with it though :o

https://soundcloud.com/johankalifornski/hana-so-so-kalifornski-remix

Not sure if it qualifies as dance music per se. Downtempo electronic maybe!

Van Doozy wrote: »
    Would appreciate feedback on a remix I did for a competition. I thought it was decent enough, didn't get anywhere with it though :o

https://soundcloud.com/johankalifornski/hana-so-so-kalifornski-remix

Not sure if it qualifies as dance music per se. Downtempo electronic maybe!

First off thanks for introducing Hana to me. What a voice.
    Remix is decent. Savage bass pad you have and use some nice elements of the original. For me the kick and snare are a bit weak in terms of presence in the track. Kick doesn't cut through that bass quiet enough and the snare is missing some mids I feel but that's just a personal preference things. In general though a strong track that sticks close to the original in mood and style.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Van Doozy

Thanks. Yea Hana is class, I really like her style.

I had been on the lookout for a remix competition and the reason I chose that one was because the original track had really REALLY slick production. It's pristine polished so I knew the stems and vocal tracks would be top shelf as well.

Easier to make a somewhat good remix when you're starting with quality ingredients!!

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

Long time since I have posted a track here, must be 6 years or so.

Lockdown has given me some time! New hardware has helped too.

Made this on the Tracker, feedback welcome.

SteveDon wrote: »
    Long time since I have posted a track here, must be 6 years or so.

Lockdown has given me some time! New hardware has helped too.
    Made this on the Tracker, feedback welcome.

Very eclectic sounding track. I'm fascinated by the tracker. Does it replicate the old style software trackers from the early 90s.? Must take ages to create a full track. Are all the sounds samples or how are the loaded into the unit?
    Sounds lush by the way.

Very eclectic sounding track. I'm fascinated by the tracker. Does it replicate the old style software trackers from the early 90s.? Must take ages to create a full track. Are all the sounds samples or how are the loaded into the unit?
    Sounds lush by the way.

Cheers for listening.

This is actually my first time using a tracker so wouldn't know how closely it replicates the old school amiga software.

As usual I bought this after going a youtube gearhole and deciding it would be a different way of making music that might get me out of a creative jam. I made this track within a few hours of having it, so it is really intuitive. There are plenty of fill options that can be a bit of a hack for getting things going.

This track is all factory one shot samples that came with the tracker arranged into patterns then patterns arranged together in song mode.

I did hook this up to my elektron analog keys at the weekend and it can seamlessly sequence external gear, so it is likely to become a centre piece of my computerless setup.

^ nice track, very 90s sounding. I'm also getting bits of Aphex Twin.

That kind of hardware scares me. :-) My brother is well into it, has does tutorial videos on his IG page (@synthdadmusic if anyone's interested). It looks like hours of endless fun but I'd always fear you'd spend more time tweaking the hardware than actually making music!

I've a tune out next Friday, part of an EP, check it out here:

https://soundcloud.com/rob-crosbie-119244934/sets/for-your-dreams-ep/s-7FM1GoEfGP6

This is the follow up to my last track, posted above, taking that 80s / 90s sound and applying it to my usual sound. Quite a positive, uplifting track I reckon! :-)

These tracks sound great.

I can almost hear John Maus singing over the Thinking Man track.

Personal preference for me would be to go all lofi on this, record it onto a cassette using an old talkboy and put the tape through a washing machine. But thats just me :eek:

Something I did a little bit ago, kind of what i meant by lofi sound

https://soundcloud.com/steve-donaldson/deeply-in

• Advertisement

SteveDon wrote: »
    Something I did a little bit ago, kind of what i meant by lofi sound

https://soundcloud.com/steve-donaldson/deeply-in

Cool. Wasn't expecting that arrangement of drums with that dreamy melody, works though. Bit of Boards of Canada with a harder edge vibe

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Dubby Track I did with a buddy of mine and got it released on a comp.

https://homegrowncollective.bandcamp.com/track/dj-stop-daywalka-camera-dub-2

Hope you like.

Sounds good, those compilations look well worth checking out!

On a side note, I really miss the Groups aspect of Soundcloud. It was great being able to upload a new track and share it across a range of groups, and then actually get some plays and comments. They were mad to get rid of it. Is there any similar out there, that operates in the way SC used to?

iamstop wrote: »
    Dubby Track I did with a buddy of mine and got it released on a comp.

https://homegrowncollective.bandcamp.com/track/dj-stop-daywalka-camera-dub-2

Hope you like.

Savage bassline. Crisp production overall.

Kind of an acid tinged house, tech type thing.
    I'm over 40 so forgive the vagueness!

Listen to Survival by RavenConspiracy on #SoundCloud
    https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/X4v7q

Kind of an acid tinged house, tech type thing.
    I'm over 40 so forgive the vagueness!

Listen to Survival by RavenConspiracy on #SoundCloud
    https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/X4v7q

Ah I can imagine dancing to that in the System in 1995! :) Nice old skool vibes.

Hey guys I'm looking for some feedback on these 2 tracks if you have a few minutes to have a listen. I plan on putting out an EP at some point this year and I'm working on this type of sound that has a mixture of house/disco/electro so these might not be the final tracks, but It's the sound Im going for. Even if these aren't your kind of thing any feedback is appreciated :)
    https://soundcloud.com/scoob89/sets/untitled/s-SnqrIva6YgN

Hey guys I'm looking for some feedback on these 2 tracks if you have a few minutes to have a listen. I plan on putting out an EP at some point this year and I'm working on this type of sound that has a mixture of house/disco/electro so these might not be the final tracks, but It's the sound Im going for. Even if these aren't your kind of thing any feedback is appreciated :)

Two cracking tracks there. Lovely pad work on both. Only suggestions I'd have in the Goth track is think I'd bring in the full arpeggio rather than the kind of gated version which leads into it.

Only other thing is maybe some of the synth leads could be filtered in or even simple velocity automation rather than them hitting full on the start of a bar.

Great groove to the tracks as a whole though . Solid bassline on both and love that signature Daft Punk hi hat on the 2nd track. :-)

Two cracking tracks there. Lovely pad work on both. Only suggestions I'd have in the Goth track is think I'd bring in the full arpeggio rather than the kind of gated version which leads into it.

Only other thing is maybe some of the synth leads could be filtered in or even simple velocity automation rather than them hitting full on the start of a bar.

Great groove to the tracks as a whole though . Solid bassline on both and love that signature Daft Punk hi hat on the 2nd track. :-)

Thanks man, we can always count on you for good feedback in here ha. I put up an updated version of the second track if you fancy a listen it's the same link as above.

• Advertisement

I enjoyed the two tracks very much. I'm not one for "you should do this or you should change that", unless there's any glaring issues all those choices are personal to the musician.

I think I liked the second track the most; good 80s sound and similar beats to stuff I was working on myself recently, so I'm in the zone with the whole 80s electro thing at the moment!

Nice work and I look forward to hearing the finished EP!

Advertisement